Thread: Gut check for anxiety and depression

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gut check for anxiety and depression

I’ve always noticed that when I’m on the pot for a while, and I feel that my entire system has been cleansed away, that my anxiety and depression are almost always immediately relieved as well.

Why does this happen?

Inflammation in the gut.

When you have inflammation in the gut, you release an elevated amount of cytokines. Cytokines are a marker of inflammation in your body. Having higher than normal cytokines in your body over a period of time will lead to brain dysfunction and anxiety. And when you’re more anxious, this will lead to increased stomach acid (via nerve connections) leading to indigestion/pain/bloating/”fullness”

Now depending on what’s causing this inflammation in your gut, treat it appropriately:

1. If you have conditions such as IBS, consult your physician and take the appropriate medications.

2. If you suspect you have altered gut function due to poor eating/nutritional habits, try a probiotic and look into eating more gut-friendly diets (ex: perhaps a more alkaline diet. Fruits and vegetables reduce inflammation.)

3. Poop the anxiety away. Get some Magnesium. Get rid of all that acid by kicking starting your body with Magnesium. Magnesium not only relieves anxiety itself, but it acts as a natural laxative, thereby clearing all that excess acid in your body.

4. Advil/Ibuprofen may give you relief from anxiety/depression since they reduce inflammation. however, I'd use this sparingly.

In summary,

The state of our mood and our guts are interlinked together.

Pay attention to them, and take care of them accordingly.
    Last edited by Computer Loser; 02-13-2021 at 04:19 PM.

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thought I was anxious, cynical and depressed, because I hated my job and other people I am forced to interact with kinda suck dick, they make me angry by causing me pain repeatedly. its like I'm a masochistic automaton on auto pilot-routine doing stuff to just survive and its eating away at my very being. the worst thing is having no sense of control or direction.

but it could be my gut, maybe if I fix my gut I'll be a good little drone or cog in the machine and stop complaining.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shotgunfingers View Post
    I always thought I was anxious, cynical and depressed, because I hated my job and other people I am forced to interact with kinda suck dick, they make me angry by causing me pain repeatedly. its like I'm a masochistic automaton on auto pilot-routine doing stuff to just survive and its eating away at my very being. the worst thing is having no sense of control or direction.
    i can definitely relate to this. depression can definitely be a byproduct of repressed anger.

also cycling from anger to normal over and over again repeatedly is mentally exhausting. eventually you will mentally break down as a result since it's not sustainable over the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by shotgunfingers View Post
    maybe if I fix my gut I'll be a good little drone or cog in the machine and stop complaining.
    this made me irLOL.

optimally it'd be better to find a job that doesn't make you angry but optimizing your gut is worth a shot, every little bit helps!!

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I seem to recall reading that the monk Marin Luther was extremely troubled by the practices of his Catholic Church and also suffered from constipation. Scholars are certain that he wrote his grievances in the form of his 95 Theses while sitting on the toilet, and after one particularly momentous release, went and nailed them to the Wittenberg church door, thus starting the Protestant Reformation.

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always had digestion issues and depressive symptoms. The meds I am on definitely help with my mood but ironically it makes my digestion problems worse. However, these meds have the least bothersome side effects of other meds I have been prescribed.
    I do notice that I feel cleaner and better physically and mood-wise when eating vegan diets (I am not vegan but my wife is and she is the one who cooks whereas I am content with frozen and canned food most times). It also helps promote more regular bowel movements.

Right now I am experiencing more abdominal pain than usual, which is sorta saying something since I have abdominal pain most days. I know it's my body telling me to drink more water, eat cleaner, and exercise, but I enjoy sitting on the couch drinking beer and energy drinks. Christ, I'm a loser.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

That some body disorders may predispose to neurotic level psyche disorders was said before. How this happens is not clear.
    Among possible ways can be toxins produced by some infections. That psyche disorders may develop after long time geting some substances is known. Can exist other ways, alike said above, too. It's also known that some substances help to resist to developing psyche disorders, examples of what are meds, but can be inner body variants too and those can be broken by different ways.

Among biological factors of anxiety and linked depressions exists with helicobacter bacterie. There are meds which act against it (and general git antibiotics), which mb tried to check this factor in concrete cases.

The opposite link may exist too. Some mood states activate protective abbilities of a body, including immunity against some infections. So an evolution could assign to infections an abbility to influence on the mood. There is known case of an infection which changes the mood and behavior to which helps to spread the infection - Rabies virus at animals.

Some infections may exist in a body for long, including without expressed symptoms. Possibly, some of them may influence on a mood. Infections may be situated in brain cells and change their work.
    Depression seems is among symptoms of malaria, which may stay on low level for years.

Emotions is body's work on material level. It's known not so much about how the body works, - are known some elements of it only, but not anything. Psychiatry exists not so long and is hard to be researched by today technology - much of muddy and possible in it.
    All psyche disorders have body and psyche representation. And can be influenced by both of these ways.

TIM
    IEI-Fe(C)
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On this topic, I recommend the book The Mind-Gut Connection: How the Hidden Conversation Within Our Bodies Impacts Our Mood, Our Choices, and Our Overall Health by Emeran Mayer !