Thread: is it possible to get a job with a psych major with a domestic violence charge?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default is it possible to get a job with a psych major with a domestic violence charge?

and that person was bailed out? sibling to sibling? I'm asking for someone I know. EDIT: I'm asking United States law state by state. I also live in the united States. EDIT: This person wants to work in the medical field. As a doctor. not a psychologist.
    Last edited by Misfit; 03-05-2021 at 11:40 PM.

Maybe I'm a Lion
    TIM
    ESI-Fi 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have they been convicted? Are they looking for work in the psych field?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Okay View Post
    Have they been convicted? Are they looking for work in the psych field?
    they were sent to jail for a few nights or a night and got bailed out right away. they're still going to school for a psych major but intend on studying medicine later but i dont think that's a possibility anymore. so i think they should settle for psych. EDIT: they're still going to court to drop the charges.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Okay please don't shitpost. are you thinking?

Maybe I'm a Lion
    TIM
    ESI-Fi 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://careertrend.com/job-domestic...ion-10169.html

Quote Originally Posted by the website
    Target Your Job Search
    Research what occupations will exclude you because of your domestic violence conviction. Public service jobs such as law enforcement, government, military or emergency responder positions such as firefighter or paramedic are likely off-limits. This is also true for teaching positions or healthcare jobs such as nursing. If you have a job that requires licensing or bonding, required in fields such as healthcare, education or operating a day care, you’ll likely lose your license, making it impossible to find employment in that field again.
    So, the answer is maybe not? Depending on the state? If he is planning on becoming a psychologist, which I believe you need a Master's Doctorate's in. Therapists need Master's

Edit: saw your edit. If he isn't convicted, he should be fine.
    Last edited by Great; 02-07-2021 at 11:49 PM.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just because we can doesn't mean we should.

has the person made a decision on what's important to them personally regarding violence?

have they eschewed violence?

do they have a counselor's evaluation on their likelihood to lash out using violence?

are they managing their mental illness consistently?

Are they REPLACING their previous behavior approach to relationships so that in those moments when they are exhausted or rage-filled that the autopilot that kicks in will be the healthy new behaviors and not the violent, dangerous ones?

we have a responsibility to people when we go into caregiving roles like counselling and psych.

family feel protective and might drop a charge even though it's not the right thing to do. I can't tell whether it's the best situation in this case. Just because a family member retreats from pursuing a legal consequence for the person who attacked doesn't mean that person is safe to be around.

if a person doesn't understand the definition of sexual stalking, they likely are not well equipped for work in the psych field at this time.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He should ask his advisor

psych “major” (undergrad) probably not off limits, it’s a question of whether he wants to pursue it on the graduate level bc that’s how you get psych jobs

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nanashi View Post
    just because we can doesn't mean we should.

has the person made a decision on what's important to them personally regarding violence?

have they eschewed violence?

do they have a counselor's evaluation on their likelihood to lash out using violence?

are they managing their mental illness consistently?

Are they REPLACING their previous behavior approach to relationships so that in those moments when they are exhausted or rage-filled that the autopilot that kicks in will be the healthy new behaviors and not the violent, dangerous ones?

we have a responsibility to people when we go into caregiving roles like counselling and psych.

family feel protective and might drop a charge even though it's not the right thing to do. I can't tell whether it's the best situation in this case. Just because a family member retreats from pursuing a legal consequence for the person who attacked doesn't mean that person is safe to be around.

if a person doesn't understand the definition of sexual stalking, they likely are not well equipped for work in the psych field at this time.
    it's not me, you moron. I'm not even majoring in psych.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Pilots are barred from flying for life if they get a DUI. If this is the kind of person inclined to reflect and change (a domestic abuse charge doesn't seem to imply that) then I'm sure they can answer this themselves. If they're not, then I wouldn't recommend it.

TIM
    POOP™
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This isn't completely serious, but I'm thinking that could possibly be used as an internship experience for the position. Gotta stay positive, work with what you got.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramas View Post
    Just rename this place Beta Central lmao
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightWilderness View Post
    The only problem socionics has given me is a propensity to analyze every relationship from the lens of socionics and I also see that it is worse in my boyfriend. Nothing makes any sense that way and it does not really solve any problems.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    Pilots are barred from flying for life if they get a DUI. If this is the kind of person inclined to reflect and change (a domestic abuse charge doesn't seem to imply that) then I'm sure they can answer this themselves. If they're not, then I wouldn't recommend it.
    again, it wasn't me. I can't say who it was because I'm worried I'd be violating their privacy, and they'd get mad if they found out I was writing about them.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
    again, it wasn't me. I can't say who it was because I'm worried I'd be violating their privacy, and they'd get mad if they found out I was writing about them.
    What I said is person-agnostic. I saw you edited your first post. If they just want to be a doctor in general, there's a better chance, but they should try to get that charge wiped eventually.

Restricted user
    TIM
    SLI-Si 6w5 613 sp/so
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a stupid degree to get. If the concern is whether he can still get into medical school or become licensed despite his charge, then better to take it to a more appropriate forum such as studentdoctor. From quick google search, it's possible still. Worst case scenario, no school in the U.S. wants to accept him then he can still apply to English speaking international medical school programs in the Caribbean, Italy, Poland, or if truly shit outta luck with all else failed, Ukraine. Of course getting a residency afterwards from studying abroad will be quite the immense hurdle, can kiss any chance at a fancy and ultra competitive dermatology residency goodbye.

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they can get it expunged, maybe, but they are pretty much f*cked. However, if it's something they really want, the only way to know for sure is to try their best and see what happens.

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

its barely possible get a job with a psych major PERIOD

wish i had a ben franklin for every jobless psych major i met

they are all over typology forums...bullshit socionics society is where the psych majors wind up

fckin psych majors are fighting for shit jobs like fckin counselor at a fckin methadone clinic