Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Recipes - Low Carb

Please post here any low carb recipes or meals you are making that you like or have made in the past that you like.

[When I originally posted this recipe, I could not find the old recipe sharing thread, but I see that has been revived now. So I am changing this to "Low Carb" recipes since that is how I am currently cooking/eating, and I know others here are eating that way.]

Earlier this week I made this nice low-no carb dinner. I use a can of Rotel tomatoes which I always have on hand. I have a new thing for cabbage (a great substitute for pasta).
    One pan, 30 min. start to finish. I will make this again. So easy and satisfying yet guilt-free:
    https://thatlowcarblife.com/cheesy-c...eation-294-jtr

Cheesy Cabbage Casserole:
    Last edited by Eliza Thomason; 02-15-2021 at 11:33 PM. Reason: (see above).
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default CRACK CHICKEN SPINACH SOUP

I adjusted the recipe quite a bit but it looks a lot like this recipe I started with:

INGREDIENTS
    2 lbs (900g) chicken breasts (boneless and skinless)
    12 oz (340g) of cream cheese (a block and a half)
    1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese
    1 1/2 cup to 2 cups bone broth or water
    2 cups baby Spinach
    One 1-oz packet of Dry Ranch Seasoning mix (or make your own version – see note)
    8 oz (220g) bacon crumbles

I used bone broth, and also sautéed fresh veggies: one onion, 3 carrots, 3 celery
    Also 10 oz. of frozen frozen cauliflower rice and
    2 teaspoons of Braggs Nutritional Yeast.
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Easy and Savory Mexican Shredded Chicken

This is such a delicious and savory shredded chicken and it's an easy one-pot meal! After creamy crack shredded chicken last week I wanted a different flavor this week.

I used this recipe https://kaseytrenum.com/mexican-shredded-chicken/ with the following changes:

-I made it stovetop in a skillet, substituting beef bone broth because I had that.

- I cut chicken breasts (still on sale this week, too) in quarters to speed cooking and boiled them in the broth about 15 minutes and then they were ready to shred (quickest is the paddle attachment on the stand mixer). Not overcooking shredded chicken is best.

- I used 1 and 1/2 cup broth vs. 1/3 cup
    - 3T. cream cheese instead of two
    - 1/2cup leftover vodka sauce
    - 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
    - 1/4 of a squeezed lime
    - a packet of taco mix (instead of using her recipe for it)

Instead of incorporating the shredded cheese we just put some on top of our bowls of hot shredded chicken when we served it. Served with simple iceberg/tomato/lettuce salad with ranch.

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cilantro Jalapeno Tuna Cakes

Recipe here: https://gimmedelicious.com/cilantro-...no-tuna-cakes/

I am trying to make Fish Fridays more interesting so this was last week's recipe. Also I am between jobs and currently applying for a part time job, so for a bit I will have more time on my hands so trying new recipes is on my agenda. because less earning means way less eating out, but with the extra time I am plan for healthy and thrifty delicious meals.

This was so good, I will make it again.. My husband loved it. Next time I will make a 1.5 recipe and freeze half the cakes for another Friday.

Next time I will add more almond flour (or parmesan cheese), as well as an extra egg, because these need to hold together better; they were delicate to flip and to handle.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@Eliza Thomason

Fixed the thread title for you per your request.

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BandD View Post
    @Eliza Thomason

Fixed the thread title for you per your request.
    Thank you, BandD

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Top of Round Roast

On sale this week, so it's dinner. It is resting on the counter, coated in salt, pepper, garlic and thyme, in preparation for this Hi-Temp roast recipe. Hi-temp recipe is the way to go for a large roast! Amazingly simple, and great results. We have done it many times before but I always end up looking up the recipe every time. I need to write it down.

Most Hi-Temp recipes say 7 min. per pound but I have found that is too much for a perfect med.-rare roast, and I go with the time recommended in some recipes like the one below. I find a few like the one below that say 5 min., so we are rounding our time out to just over that. You start by taking the time to fully pre-heat the oven to 500 degrees. Then roast it for that time by the pound, and turn the oven off and DON'T OPEN IT for 2.5 hours! A perfect result, tender, moist, and the house will smell amazing. Serving this with Bearnaise Sauce and braised green beans tonight.

We are basically following this Eye of Round Recipe: https://thedomesticman.com/2012/01/1...f-round-roast/
    Last edited by Eliza Thomason; 03-02-2021 at 10:58 PM.

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by asd View Post
    Yum! I have to try these! Healthy meatballs. And I love harissa.

TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Easter Dinner Menu

I am pulling this together for Easter afternoon Sunday dinner. I have little time and it is not entirely from scratch. I think it is a good balance though. Latin Rite Easter Triduum is lengthy, and we have a dinner invite after Easter Vigil Mass (this is rare, and it's good company, so I am delighted).

Tonight we have set the table with one leaf and linens, dishes, silver, candelabras, centerpiece, and also my goal before bed it is to measure ingredients for chocolate cake so I can bake it when I get up. We leave tomorrow at 11:30am for Easter Vigil Mass. I have purple mums on the table, and forsythia is just starting to bloom so I am going to arrange some of that in on Sunday morning.

There is little time again until Sunday morning, which is when we need to do the mashed potatoes and veggies (same day as served). (Mashed potatoes not served same day risk becoming starchy and sticky. I don't need mashed potatoes but I'm making them for everyone else, their favorite. They were a fail at Thanksgiving when for the first time I could not find Yukon Golds, plus I made them ahead then, and won't this time.)

Tomorrow I will also get out all the ingredients for Sundays cooking, including pots and pans and serving plates/warmers and line them up with a plan for Sunday's cooking, with a list of when to start what. I want to have it all done an hour before everyone arrives so I can be a relaxed hostess.

Menu:

The Perfect Spoon Roast, (sirloin cut of beef) with pan-dripping gravy, thickened with cornstarch instead of flour

My best Mashed Potatoes (I'll make in morning lightly mashed with chicken stock, butter, cream cheese, garlic, salt, pepper and thyme, and serve from crock pot)

Butter-braised Baby Carrots with maple syrup and fresh basilGreen Bean Almondine
    Pepperidge Farm Frozen French rolls served hot from oven (delicious comfort food for carb-eaters) (in baskets with bread warmers and linen to keep them hot!).

For dessert, my tall four-tier silver(plate) serving dish will hold bakeshop treats (normal carbs) lemon iced loaf cake slices, chocolate fudge squares, strawberry cake bon-bones, and, for low carb:

Holiday punch of ginger ale and raspberry sherbet and whatever guests bring for appetizers.

Low Carb Chocolate Cake (made with butter, eggs, almond flour, and stevia for sweetener)