Thread: Nail Polish

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Nail Polish

So yeah... my new addiction/hobby is nail polish. It started last fall, but has really picked up lately, so I figured I’d start a thread documenting it

I’m not really into fake nails, serious nail art yet (mainly playing around with colors) and I doubt it goes farther for me, but post whatever nail art related
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This one has been one of my favorites so far that I’ve tried...was my first gold polish & first Essie Gel Couture... now I don’t want to buy anything else besides gel couture

♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This one was kind of messy lol. So if you don’t know I really love lavender/lilac and especially lavender/lilac with gold. So I thought why not combine them? It reminded me of my Vera Wang Princess Perfume bottle... Well, this was my first purple polish and...I wasn’t a fan? I think the gold glitter might have been too much and I just don’t think I’m ready for pale purple yet because of the season...it just didn’t feel right... I ended up removing 5 days in (before it even chipped! Impressive!) because I was over it. Feel like it was a bit of a miss...

♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol I hated this polish so much that I put it on at night and removed it the next morning. I just couldn’t take it.
    my inspiration was a vintage valentine card, but it reminded me of Pepto-Bismol and Barbie. I thought it was tacky as hell. Major miss.

I’m never buying pale pink polish again.

♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last one for now. lol. Tried this one out last night. I was trying to decide between Essie Gel Couture Bubbles only and Rock the Runway. This is Bubbles Only, and I wish I would have got Rock the Runway instead (a brighter red). I just thought this might be a better winter color. I don’t hate it but I don’t love it either...for some reason it brings to mind apples and teachers...and my MIL? which I think is kind of weird since it’s a vampy color.

Last edited by Aster; 01-17-2021 at 04:52 PM.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I discovered this site yesterday
    https://flora1761.com/collections/shop-all-nail-lacquer

and now I’m in big trouble lol

♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

how about nail stickers/decals? i mean the ones that look like nail polish

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kalinoche buenanoche View Post
    how about nail stickers/decals? i mean the ones that look like nail polish
    I haven’t tried those yet. Have you?
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Quote Originally Posted by aster View Post
    I haven’t tried those yet. Have you?
    nope but it looks like an interesting crafty hobby: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRqbqAsVYGw
    there are probably other ways to make them.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nope but it looks like an interesting crafty hobby: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRqbqAsVYGw
    there are probably other ways to make them.
    it looks neat. I know a lot of people are into this kind of thing right now. I’m not a big fan of patterns and stuff on nails. Even a few hearts was too much for me. It’s like it looks ‘too busy’ to me, if that makes sense?
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

it looks neat. I know a lot of people are into this kind of thing right now. I’m not a big fan of patterns and stuff on nails. Even a few hearts was too much for me. It’s like it looks ‘too busy’ to me, if that makes sense?
    yea i get it. i could see myself giving it a try just for the sake of the technique using solid colors or less busy patterns.

plus, if there is someone you don't like but needs their nails done, you can prepare the color in advance and just stick it on. this way you get to spend less time with them.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

plus, if there is someone you don't like but needs their nails done, you can prepare the color in advance and just stick it on. this way you get to spend less time with them.

that would probably be good for some people

The only other peoples nails I do are my girls and I don’t know why I bother, they mess them up so fast. Stickers would probably be better for them. But of course they still want to play in the polish lol
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This one has been one of my favorites so far that I’ve tried...was my first gold polish & first Essie Gel Couture... now I don’t want to buy anything else besides gel couture

Now you just need to try red enamel designs on top of the gold. You could do silver to instead of gold. Maybe like red flower designs or something.

I tried nail polish once. It wasn't my thing but it was pretty fun I guess. At one point in my childhood I remember thinking girls got all the cool stuff.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by one View Post
    Nails last month using nail sticker
    i actually like those stickers!

I would reaally love something more elaborate like this and this specially in red, I would have to find some serious nail art stuff and practice though (which I probably would sometime in the future).
    Wow, those are beautiful! Especially love the red and pearl. Second ones give such mermaid vibes.

I don't know how to make it show up as an actual image instead of just a link. How do you guys do that? [/spoiler]
    i upload photos to Imgur and then save the link. Click on the portrait above the text box you type in and put the link in there. There are prob other ways of doing it, but if you want to delete the photo later, you can just delete your imgur photo and if someone quotes you with the pic, it will also disappear inside the quote.
    Last edited by Aster; 01-17-2021 at 05:51 PM.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

this color is so pretty
    Looks like alizarin crimson or madder lake.... Something close to that.

Maybe this: http://www.art-paints.com/Paints/Oil...inone-Red.html

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turn and Pose...thinking about getting this one next...
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tried out this pinkish red. Thought it was Valentine’s Day-ish. I used to wear solely pinks like this when I was in my teens/early 20’s, but not feeling it as much in my 30’s. But I like it for around Valentines Day.

♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to have very cool ones given to me by my IEI best friend when I started being interested in nail polish 2-3 years ago but I lost them when my backpack was stolen so now I keep only some basic essentials like charcoal with glitters, red, pink, pink glitters and I get a new one every once in a while. Okay for some reason I can't upload a picture.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had this one (Essie Making Spirits bright) the Christmas before last. It wasn’t very good, and took forever to dry. I didn’t realize it at the time, as it was one of my first essies, but it’s prob the worst essie polish I’ve purchase so far...Anyway DH told me it looked like little girl fingernail polish so now I’m hesitant to wear glitter polish

Last edited by Aster; 01-24-2021 at 01:16 PM.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I had this one (Essie Making Spirits bright) the Christmas before last. It wasn’t very good, and took forever to dry. I didn’t realize it at the time, as it was one of my first essies, but it’s prob the worst essie polish I’ve purchase so far...Anyway DH told me it looked like little girl fingernail polish so now I’m hesitant to wear glitter polish

I saw this one and thought at first that it wasn't my favorite color. Then read and it seems like you agree. It has so much shine and is so light grey that it makes your nails look ethereal.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

So, you guys know that nail polish color reflects a person's psychological characteristics, right?

--says the guy who types by avatar pictures.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

So the bolded part above is why I stopped commenting on my SO's clothes or hair styles.

I actually worked with an ESI artist on a project, and the more suggestions I made to her, the worse the artwork got. So I stopped. I just stopped.

This interesting thing to me about glitter nail polish is how they get the glitter to suspend in the lacquer solution. If the particles are too heavy or too big, they will sink to the bottom of the container. If too small, they all just turn brown or grey.

There is a thermodynamic tendency for some mixtures to mix instead of staying separate, like the way that lighter cream mixes into heavier coffee instead of just floating on top, but you can't always rely on that.

That nail polish had some very bright people working on it.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    So the bolded part above is why I stopped commenting on my SO's clothes or hair styles.

I actually worked with an ESI artist on a project, and the more suggestions I made to her, the worse the artwork got. So I stopped. I just stopped.

This interesting thing to me about glitter nail polish is how they get the glitter to suspend in the lacquer solution. If the particles are too heavy or too big, they will sink to the bottom of the container. If too small, they all just turn brown or grey.

There is a thermodynamic tendency for some mixtures to mix instead of staying separate, like the way that lighter cream mixes into heavier coffee instead of just floating on top, but you can't always rely on that.

That nail polish had some very bright people working on it.
    i never thought about the process of making it I guess you are right lol

dh never usually comments on my clothes. he says he likes my style, and I think genuinely he does, although I can tell when he doesn’t like certain things.he hated some grinch pajama pants I had and some pink crocs lol. I wasn’t a huge fan of them either. he also doesn’t like the color red and black together. I think it gives him evil vibes but he says I get butt hurt easy so he doesn’t usually say anything I don’t think he meant anything by what he said about the nail polish
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

i never thought about the process of making it I guess you are right lol

dh never usually comments on my clothes. he says he likes my style, and I think genuinely he does, although I can tell when he doesn’t like certain things.he hated some grinch pajama pants I had and some pink crocs lol. I wasn’t a huge fan of them either. he also doesn’t like the color red and black together. I think it gives him evil vibes but he says I get butt hurt easy so he doesn’t usually say anything I don’t think he meant anything by what he said about the nail polish
    And here I was constructing in my head an entire novel built around the woman, the man, and the violet glitter nail polish in corn country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up-oN4NtvbM

I need a hobby.

Last edited by Adam Strange; 01-24-2021 at 05:31 PM.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Black and red were my favorite colors in kindergarten. I remember I was hanging my coat on a hook in the coatroom when I decided that.

Red is for strong feelings, and black is cold and mysterious. Might have been what I was experiencing at the time.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    And here I was constructing in my head an entire novel built around the woman, the man, and the violet glitter nail polish in corn country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up-oN4NtvbM

I need a hobby.

well, constructing novels is a hobby and let me tell you, I do have this polish and am surrounded by corn, so you are on to something. I was actually thinking of try sugarplum fairytale next...
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

well, constructing novels is a hobby and let me tell you, I do have this polish and am surrounded by corn, so you are on to something. I was actually thinking of try sugarplum fairytale next...
    Constructing novels in my head is a combination of having runaway Ni and having to do a task this afternoon that I really do not want to do.

The state where you live is corn from side to side, top to bottom, so that wasn't hard to guess.

As for your color choices, I guess it's time for me to state what the colors we wear mean.

Black = cold and mysterious.
    Red = strong feelings, is usually worn by conservatives. <= From long dating experience.
    White = purity, which along with clear is usually worn by liberals. See above.
    Orange = fast and aggressive. Watch out for this person because they are coming at you.
    Yellow = "Trust me". But you should not trust them.
    Gold = see "Yellow".
    Green = "I really feel like me this morning, and anyway it matches the rest of my outfit".
    Blue = intellectual
    Purple = deep thought. "I'm thinking deep thoughts. Don't bother me right now."
    Violet = sex
    Gray = I'm old, but refined and I can go anywhere.
    Pink = the color that makes men weak. I mean, men lose their strength when they see pink. Now why would a woman want to wear that color?

Bold, saturated colors = Fe
    Pastels = Fi.

OK, I'm done for now.

TIM
    IEI-C
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok so while I have the idea in my head...

Has anyone had luck with any of those at home gel manicure kits? I can't keep regular nail polish on for the life of me without picking at it once it starts to chip away. The gel manicure kits look like they'd be nice but not sure how they compare to regular nail polish for chipping less.
    ~we're just out here havin a good time~

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by megedy View Post
    Ok so while I have the idea in my head...

Has anyone had luck with any of those at home gel manicure kits? I can't keep regular nail polish on for the life of me without picking at it once it starts to chip away. The gel manicure kits look like they'd be nice but not sure how they compare to regular nail polish for chipping less.
    you should experiment for us

ive never tried the actual kits but I have the essie gel nail polishes...the gel polishes do last longer on me, but not much longer. Not as long as I’d like.

Here’s a nice list of gel kits: https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/bea...gel-nail-kits/

wish I knew more about them. 10 looks nice imo
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    IEI-C
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you should experiment for us

ive never tried the actual kits but I have the essie gel nail polishes...the gel polishes do last longer on me, but not much longer. Not as long as I’d like.

Here’s a nice list of gel kits: https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/bea...gel-nail-kits/

wish I knew more about them. 10 looks nice imo
    I just might go for being the guinea pig if nobody else has tried them, haha! Yeah I really liked the salon gel because it would last for weeks. Regular polish lasts like... a couple of days at most? Not long enough.

Oooh number five looks nice, but 10 does have the most colors. >_> plus they have a bunch of different options for different sets with even more colors...

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by megedy View Post
    I just might go for being the guinea pig if nobody else has tried them, haha! Yeah I really liked the salon gel because it would last for weeks. Regular polish lasts like... a couple of days at most? Not long enough.

Oooh number five looks nice, but 10 does have the most colors. >_> plus they have a bunch of different options for different sets with even more colors...
    lol sounds like fun I had regular polish on and it lasted 2 days. I think I can usually get 5 out of gel, maybe?

5 might be better! I think I might have been attracted to the box on 10 great marketing, it looks like my kind of aesthetic lol
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    SEE-N™ WPEL™ 863
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like long acrylic nails mainly due to the attitude factor. I love waving my hand at people after I tell them off. Since Covid “pandemic” I haven’t been around people to give them the hand, despite traveling a lot and I don’t really want to deal with nail salons that are at 10% capacity or whatever so I found some nice fake nails that have jewels and such as alternatives. I take them off and I’ll use some solid, bold colors like neon yellow or my favorite, hot pink. Now, I have on the color pepperminty by Ciaté. It’s an amazing brand!!

B6EE4654-83E9-4E4E-A8BD-4178DD22C320.jpeg

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@aster

wow turn and pose I think is def. the best one out of all those on u.

TIM
    IEI-C
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got a gel nail kit! I ended up going with Beetles, since they had so many color collections. I got the "Free Spirit" one, I felt like it was a nice mix of vibrant colors and darker ones. It also came with a matte top coat, which I really liked! So far it's already lasting way longer than regular polish, I put some on Thursday and it hadn't chipped at all yet (well, except from where I messed up & tried to fix it...). I even tried putting some nail art stickers inbetween the color coat and the top coat, and they stayed on perfect!

The only downside is that, since it is so long-lasting, there's really no margin for error. Where it is chipped and wonky in places, it's because I went over the nail and tried to fix it.

Overall super stoked about it, would recommend (even though there's a learning curve I haven't quite climbed yet). It's so nice having pretty nails again!

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my favorite color and so far one of my favorite nail colors (although I prefer Essie Ballet Slippers and Rock the Runway because they match/don’t clash with a lot).

OPI~ Don’t Toot My Flute
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Zoya a good brand? Thinking of buying a red shade from them
    I’d say yes. I love their colors, and I feel like their brush is easy to use.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imported Bubbly from Essie. Had to get it because it looked like pearl and I’m in love lol. But I screwed it up in a few fingers and it gets pretty streaky, so will have to be more careful next time. Wish it was in gel couture. New favorite? Great neutral everyday color

♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎