Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Math and Socionics Type

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My dad is LSE and he loves maths and always used to help me with maths homework. hes an engineer.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Northstar View Post
    I agree that math is probably most interesting for Ti and NT types. I never liked math much, I could do well enough to get my MSc. degree in engineering but I never really enjoyed it. It was just too abstract, too removed from the real world and requiring too much memorization and boring pen and paper practice exercises. Any kind of applied math was more interesting, as was geometry. Calculus was the worst I think. Understanding the principles wasn't too hard and instead of practicing how to solve problems I could usually guess in the exam what kind of formula was required for a specific kind of problem and more or less guess my way through. I was content with barely passing grades if it meant that I didn't have to sit and solve math problems, it was just too boring. The ones who actually were excited by math were usually Alpha NTs.
    we should teach math with a LOT more application and movement and real-world problem-solving

TIM
    no clue
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Number 9 large View Post
    My dad is LSE and he loves maths and always used to help me with maths homework. hes an engineer.
    A LSE-Si that I know is excellent at math.

TIM
    no clue
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nanashi View Post
    we should teach math with a LOT more application and movement and real-world problem-solving
    I couldn't agree more! I learn math better when it is connected to a scientific discipline than when it is just by itself.

TIM
    SEE-N™ WPEL™ 863
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of math is essentially plug and chug so it falls under Ti by maintaining consistent logical structures. Although, theoretical math is Ti and Ni. Practical maths such as statistics, charts, graphs, etc. is Te.

TIM
    eii enfp sp/so 479
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

math is a ti thing because it is understanding something quickly and registring this in your brain, which is more ti-fe. low ti types are not good at understanding long descriptions and putting two and two together.
    since fi egos need explicit instructions that are brief too much infromation is not understood. i remember having an entp math teacher and she got frustrated with me, because I couldn't understand complex descriptions. for example she said things similar to also how my enfj mother explains stuff at times in a ti manner something like "if you think it will help with the type of problem you are facing, create a visual representation of the problem to help determine what you need to do next. The drawing does not have to be elaborate, it can simply be a shape or shapes with numbers. Consult the problem as you draw and check your drawing against the problem after you have finished. Ask yourself, “Does my drawing accurately represent the problem?” I could not understand these wordings my brain can't register it I need te simple explainations.
    lol I need step by step help like 1. draw a visual representation then I do this and next 2. draw a shape 3. check your drawing against the problem
    this is why I can't understand a lot of those super long word problems in math and super descriptive science/math writing
    Also for example I think LSIs are the best at math and are more left brain in general I think I am right brain thinking
    Last edited by youfloweryourfeast; 01-25-2023 at 02:09 PM.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It can be both, but often Te. I know a LIE who is a professor of mathemtics. Also in my high school the guy who was best at math was LIE.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by one View Post
    Is this only for applied or including pure
    You mean applied or pure mathematics? The professor I mentioned is an expert in algebraic topology. I don't really know what it is, but I think it's pretty abstract.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Not type related
    Math is neither Ti nor Te
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beautiful sky View Post
    Not type related
    Yeah, Math is a Strawberry

And Cristiano Ronaldo is IEI - Dominant subtype

And Socionics must be taken from a metaphysical approach

etc etc
    Last edited by Reaktor; 01-28-2023 at 01:31 AM.

May look like an LSI, but -Te. Metaphor's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-LIE-NH
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beautiful sky View Post
    Not type related
    Well, it still is type related if you were to refer the way how expression (Fe) works to define theorem (Ti). This is a clear Ti-value, for instance.
    Hence then, everything in Math is Causal-Determinist until it's broken by imaginary numbers, Zeno's paradox, and then incompleteness theorem.
    Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel: "The history of the world is none other than the progress of the consciousness of freedom."

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think something is established.
    Dunno, but I did post a mathematical proof to an SLI who claimed to be dead right with his assessment.

If we talk about topology it seems very non-Se. I mean when a coffee cup seems like a doughnut...
    Last edited by The Reality Denialist; 01-29-2023 at 06:26 AM.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Alright we’ll here are my observations from Colleen of the outliers in math and their types

My INFp IEI cousin - outstanding in Calculus
    SLI
    SEI
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    You mean applied or pure mathematics? The professor I mentioned is an expert in algebraic topology. I don't really know what it is, but I think it's pretty abstract.
    As much as I tend to avoid the forums nowadays, algebraic topology is actually widely-used in computer science and data analysis as well as in physics. There really isn't such a thing as inherently-pure mathematics. Even number theory forms the basis to encryption.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coeruleum Blue View Post
    As much as I tend to avoid the forums nowadays, algebraic topology is actually widely-used in computer science and data analysis as well as in physics. There really isn't such a thing as inherently-pure mathematics. Even number theory forms the basis to encryption.
    Right. So it can be applied. This professor is not involved in the applied stuff though. It's the theoretical side of topology.

(Jung on Si)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    Right. So it can be applied. This professor is not involved in the applied stuff though. It's the theoretical side of topology.
    Yeah. I just wanted to say I think pure vs. applied mathematics is more about what the mathematician themselves do than any branches of mathematics, since the idea that some mathematics is just too pure for this world and applied mathematics is dirty and bad for making bombs and whatever seems rather widespread. As far as I can tell no mathematics is pure on its own, people just work on the pure side or the applied side.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12