• No

2 10.00%

Thread: Does hairstyle matter?

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Does hairstyle matter?

Does hairstyle really significantly change the way a person looks? Discuss.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t think significantly. Well when I was younger I didn’t think about it all that much, but then I noticed how certain styles do look better on me than others. I’ve read about it a little bit and I think it all comes down to picking a style that flatters your face shape and features. So yes, I do think it can make you look a little better or a little worse...And according to the style you choose, it can also alter the vibe you give off. So you can make yourself appear a little more edgy, classy, retro etc. what a person is trying to convey about themselves. The color itself I think can say a lot. I think it can alter your look quite a bit, and the way you appear to others, but I don’t think it will do it anything significantly, as in make you appear as an entirely different person.
    Last edited by Aster; 12-14-2020 at 06:51 PM.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It can change how your head shape appears

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Head hair is aesthetic. More people should keep it slick imo. You could be wearing a potato sack and a good enough mane would still make up for it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, if I sport a bowl haircut I'll probably be perceived as a foreigner, for example. if I have a more Americanized/modern haircut I'll be more perceived as American. people are tribal and will look at outside appearances to determine whether or not someone is in their tribe

same with clothes, skin color, speaking with an accent, driving a nice car, etc - they all add up in influencing ones perception of someone else.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Without a doubt. It's one of the things that can completely transform how people see and treat you.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    Without a doubt. It's one of the things that can completely transform how people see and treat you.
    I was discussing haircuts with my son and told him he should comb his hair off his face. He asked why, so I combed my hair straight down from my forehead and my IQ instantly dropped by 50 points.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aster View Post
    I don’t think significantly. Well when I was younger I didn’t think about it all that much, but then I noticed how certain styles do look better on me than others. I’ve read about it a little bit and I think it all comes down to picking a style that flatters your face shape and features. So yes, I do think it can make you look a little better or a little worse...And according to the style you choose, it can also alter the vibe you give off. So you can make yourself appear a little more edgy, classy, retro etc. what a person is trying to convey about themselves. The color itself I think can say a lot. I think it can alter your look quite a bit, and the way you appear to others, but I don’t think it will do it anything significantly, as in make you appear as an entirely different person.
    Lol, when I was little I was obsessed with fixing every little “bump” in my hair. It had to be perfect and I would get really upset if a bump suddenly emerged. >.> Not quite the case anymore heh.

Agreed that certain short haircuts especially, suit different face shapes (which are honestly usually more of a blend of shapes rather than perfectly “square” or “heart” shaped, for example) more.

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm starting to bald... it matters.
    ἀταραξία

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thegreenfaerie View Post
    Lol, when I was little I was obsessed with fixing every little “bump” in my hair. It had to be perfect and I would get really upset if a bump suddenly emerged. >.> Not quite the case anymore heh.

Agreed that certain short haircuts especially, suit different face shapes (which are honestly usually more of a blend of shapes rather than perfectly “square” or “heart” shaped, for example) more.
    I had a friend in middle school that was like this. When she pulled her hair back, it had to be completely sleek!

my mom gave me bangs when I was younger and I’m pretty sure they made my face look fatter. I grew them out when I was 13? I think. I’ll never have bangs again. I have this really terrible picture of myself when I was 12 or so with bangs and a perm . And now I still have a complex about my face being fat.

I had my mom style my hair for me before school until I was like maybe 16 haha. She used to be a hairdresser. I’m really terrible at doing hair, or my hair is really difficult to work with, but I think really it’s probably both. I think mine looks best long and straight, so anymore I just leave it at that and run a hair straightener over it a bit.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My LSE mother cut my hair until I was about sixteen. She did it to save money and she wasn’t very good at cutting hair, so she gave me crew-cuts. She had these attachments to an electric trimmer which would set the height of the cut above the scalp. It was a lot like mowing the lawn.

Around age 16, I started to let my hair grow longer. My father hated that. One day, he took me to his barber and I thought, “At last! A real haircut!”
    The barber asked me how I wanted my hair cut and I told him this and that, but when he finished and handed me a mirror, I had a crew-cut again.
    At that point, I decided to find my own barber. I was working in the summers, so I could afford it.

When I was in college, I let my hair grow a lot longer. At one point , it was down to the middle of my back and I’d sometimes wear it as a ponytail, but it got to be too much to deal with and I found a woman who knew how to cut hair and she shortened it somewhat.
    I have a picture of me with that haircut on this site, in Unofficial Pictures.
    My EIE aunt once looked at my hair and told me she wished her hair looked like that. I think she was sincere.
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 12-15-2020 at 01:33 PM.

Restricted user
    TIM
    SLI-Si 6w5 613 sp/so
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It matters dramatically. Can look like a totally different person and radiate a totally different personality and values just with what you do with your hair or lack of.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aster View Post
    I had a friend in middle school that was like this. When she pulled her hair back, it had to be completely sleek!

my mom gave me bangs when I was younger and I’m pretty sure they made my face look fatter. I grew them out when I was 13? I think. I’ll never have bangs again. I have this really terrible picture of myself when I was 12 or so with bangs and a perm . And now I still have a complex about my face being fat.

I had my mom style my hair for me before school until I was like maybe 16 haha. She used to be a hairdresser. I’m really terrible at doing hair, or my hair is really difficult to work with, but I think really it’s probably both. I think mine looks best long and straight, so anymore I just leave it at that and run a hair straightener over it a bit.
    Sometimes I want straight across bangs again and I got a lot of compliments when I had them, but I have also been told I look better without them. I think for me it’s dependent on my weight at the time whether or not they make my face look fatter. Weight tends to go to my face, don’t even need a scale, just look at my face lol. I think side-swept is probably the most ideal for my face shape, probably the same for you Aster. Bangs are a lot of work though

Having to wear glasses doesn’t help either. Bangs be oddly sticking under my glasses once they grow a bit, lol

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thegreenfaerie View Post
    Sometimes I want straight across bangs again and I got a lot of compliments when I had them, but I have also been told I look better without them. I think for me it’s dependent on my weight at the time whether or not they make my face look fatter. Weight tends to go to my face, don’t even need a scale, just look at my face lol. I think side-swept is probably the most ideal for my face shape, probably the same for you Aster. Bangs are a lot of work though

Having to wear glasses doesn’t help either. Bangs be oddly sticking under my glasses once they grow a bit, lol
    yeah weight goes to my face too, ugh

I think a problem for me with the whole ‘bang thing’ is I have a short forehead. I tried side swept back in 2006 (lol doesn’t seem that long ago to me) and they were a bit better. But yeah, a pain. I think someone with a longer face or bigger forehead might be able to pull off bangs better (Zooey Deschanel cones to mind, IMO she looks better with bangs).
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

It influences on the look. For example, women with too short hairs look lesser feminine.
    Most of young women seems to have long hairs here.

I prefer practical side of short hairstyle and think such look as good enough too. Also this hairstyle is easy to do yourself by a machine with a little of scissors' work at the end.

TIM
    SEE-N™ WPEL™ 863
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. Certain styles look better and depending on the person’s hair pattern, texture, head shape, etc. certain styles are possible. I’ve had a lot of people over the years really want my bangs but can’t get to look like mine. I have poofy bangs because I have 2 cowlicks there, along with the fact that my bangs naturally start in the middle of my head. My hair texture is fine and fluffy, it feathers easily, and it’s wavy during rainy/damp season so it’s easy for me to have bangs with a bedhead look. I can’t rock pixie cut, just because my hair doesn’t lay right and the texture isn’t thick enough.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yeah it can. It a person has a sexy haircut that also really suits them- makes them look more appealing than otherwise. Of course you can have the hottest hair in the world and then say something douche-y in the bad way and I wouldn't be turned on by that person lol cuz reality is complicated and I can't imagine being that shallow. But a bad haircut to me is more distracting than a good one is - because its like, I want to correct it like a stereotypical gay man lol. Like the most perfect guy in the world would otherwise be entirely ruined by one of those bad mullet 80s things.

A good haircut is mildly interesting and alluring to me but it's more of a subtle thing , a more complicated piece to a bigger picture. I also often disagree with what mainstream trends say as well. They say bowl cuts on women look bad- I don't think that's always true. Depends on face shape, body frame/weight, complexion etc.

Your family thinks I'm a criminal
    TIM
    BAMF
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

I can’t be bothered with my hair anymore so I just do a credit/buzzcut/something slightly longer. I keep the top longer than the sides usually. The sides stick out and it looks dumb. It makes the whole thing look untidy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Handler of Choronzon
    TIM
    Te goblin
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hair has a great effect on appearance. It is actually almost always the first thing that sticks out to me about people. Unfortunately, my hair goes on a new adventure every day and I have learned to be my own hair's bitch for the most part. There are always weird cowlicks and poofy tufts appearing, and wind often turns my hair into what looks like a failed art project or like I have been working in one of Pixar's kitchens.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    I was discussing haircuts with my son and told him he should comb his hair off his face. He asked why, so I combed my hair straight down from my forehead and my IQ instantly dropped by 50 points.
    Were you able to comb it back?

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love slightly messy, sticky up, static Beta hair. LSE have it too sometimes. Oh but then there is that SEI thick, velvet draping over the face hair.

This is really weird but I realised the last guy I liked, had the same hair style as a doll I had when I was a kid. 90s curtains, brown.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know couple of LIIs who comb their hair like this lol

Riley and Bunny together forever HicksHawking 14Raptor19's Avatar
    Macroverse MtBattle ScholarsGarden Halloween1993 SuperNexus InfinitiesUltimate AllSpectraEverywhere
    TIM
    RayquazaRaichuArceus
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess if you're a girl, it matters a lot, but I'm a boy, so I have more liberty.

It's just the way that society is setup, that girls have to look a certain way, and just have more expectations/complexities as a whole.

When I was in high school, some girls told Me that I didn't understand just how difficult it is to be a girl.

The sexual version of Raptor turned inside out into tesseract dimensional hyper-cube enfolding is a lot like that geeky programmer Pokemon Porygon, where if you change a few laws and limits, the steam piston may churn out a very radical and entranced product of ghosts and shockwaves of silencing disturbance, Raptor as a girl!!
    Raptor had to lose in 2006 to become Revan, important errands of knighthood and valor to walk with Pokemon and charm the melodies of sweet channels to lush frenzy galloping solo yet swiftly into the sunrise for maximum presents and signed in deluxe oceans of fast trading cards bazooka cascading rumba of love Force constellations restoring last battle cardinal plants actively swirling for juice and petals to wishes
    https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...k-2024-edition

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    It's just the way that society is setup, that girls have to look a certain way
    It's for both sexes that you are expected to have some look.
    And it's not "just", as is perceived by other people aesthetic feeling, shows the degree you care about your decent state, may express some of your personality and behavior, etc.

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

everything matters, more to some than others

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

does that mean it never occured to you to comb it back up?

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Number 9 large View Post
    does that mean it never occured to you to comb it back up?
    Man, you're a tough audience.