Thread: Was anyone else here upset that PlayStation2 outsold the Dreamcast and that people believed the PS2 hype in 1999?

TIM
    ESI-Fi 146w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Was anyone else here upset that PlayStation2 outsold the Dreamcast and that people believed the PS2 hype in 1999?

While the PS2 had a few great exclusives like Devil May Cry and Devil May Cry 3 and a better controller (IMO) and more storage capacity, it had graphics that I thought were inferior to those of the Dreamcast (Dreamcast's graphics were smoother, more detailed and more vibrant) and the Dreamcast had a better library (IMO) especially when you take into account the games for it that weren't released in the U.S. (i had imported the PAL/EU versions of Shenmue 2 and Headhunter in late 2001 or early 2002 and bought the DC-X boot disc from Electronics boutique; I forgot the name of the online store where I bought those imports, I had bought my long gone imported game boy advance from games express, but I bought the JP version of Sonic Gems Collection for the Gamecube in 2005 from the same place I ordered Shenmue 2 and Headhunter).

I was in tears in my old dentist's office when I read the tech specs for the PS2 in the May 1999 issue 55 of Next Gen(eration), the cover story had something to do with star wars; people were so fucking excited about Episode One in 1999. I was way more excited about Big Daddy and the Dreamcast even though I wasn't the only one; I knew it was going to be my beloved Sega Enterprises LTD's last console but I didn't want to miss out on it and I knew the games, no matter how short its lifespan was going to be, were going to be good. So I had to have it.

It's hard for me to decide what was worse between the original Xbox and the PS2. The original PlayStation launched with games I really wanted to play and I did back then, but the PlayStation 2, so many people wanted it because it was more expensive and newer than the Dreamcast and because it was going to be quickly sold out.
    I'm sorry, but I'm psychologically disturbed.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The good thing about unwanted consoles is that they are, indeed, less expensive.

To your question, no, not really, I never played on the Dreamcast, and never owned a ps2.

Maybe I'm a Lion
    TIM
    ESI-Fi 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah, I was too busy playing Melee.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I'm upset that since PS3/Xbox360 the most games are made for consoles and then ported to PC. This have linked games technology to slowly progessing consoles hardware, unlike was with PC when after 3 years those were outdated for new games.
    Also this can't explain worse situation. I look at what games were in middle of 2000s and do not see that games made after 15(!) years have much of new and improvement. Partly as hardware seem does not progresses so quickly as was before. And partly because the possibility of the hardware is not used as could.
    Games developing is stoped many games ago.
    The most of new since 2000s happened is stereo 3D, though it's not widely used due to still lame hardware and overpricing.

TIM
    Your daul
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are crazy. PlayStation 2 is S tier when it comes to gaming consoles. Ask anyone. The sheer amount of games that were released on it and their affordability made it a must have. I remember buying pirated copies for 50 cents. I miss buying games with no regional restrictions or censorship. It's still the best selling game console of all time. PS5 will probably be the first console I don't buy on release. Very few new games released and most are remakes. In all honesty no PlayStation console was given enough time to smoothly depreciate like the PS2, hence its success.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember as a kid playing the dreamcast at the mall / Electronics boutique.

I remember my eyes being glued to the screen, astonished, really, admiring its jaw-dropping graphics while playing some demo fighting game (Power Stone) during its early release. In many ways the dreamcast was like a bit of a dream, it was clearly a step-ahead of it predecessors at the time (the consoles before being the N64 and playstation 1). Ah, these were the best times as a child growing up, simpler and better times.

As years went by I remember the Playstation 2 kept out-performing the dreamcast, coming out with more and better games. I remember seeing the Dreamcast dying a slow and painful death, what a shame, it had so much potential.

During 1999 I was mostly into Final Fantasy, I remember Final Fantasy 8 being released on 9/9/1999

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Dude, I loved the Dreamcast, but don't be shitting on the original Xbox.

TIM
    ESI-Fi 146w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by peteronfireee View Post
    I remember as a kid playing the dreamcast at the mall / Electronics boutique.

I remember my eyes being glued to the screen, astonished, really, admiring its jaw-dropping graphics while playing some demo fighting game (Power Stone) during its early release. In many ways the dreamcast was like a bit of a dream, it was clearly a step-ahead of it predecessors at the time (the consoles before being the N64 and playstation 1). Ah, these were the best times as a child growing up, simpler and better times.

As years went by I remember the Playstation 2 kept out-performing the dreamcast, coming out with more and better games. I remember seeing the Dreamcast dying a slow and painful death, what a shame, it had so much potential.

During 1999 I was mostly into Final Fantasy, I remember Final Fantasy 8 being released on 9/9/1999
    Yes. I remember when someone called to see if they could pick up FF8 around midnight on 9/9/99 when I went to go pick up my DC and Sonic Adventure from Electronics Boutique. I rented it before I could buy it, and I had just wanted to tell the Hollywood video that I lost it and not have the deposit fee refunded, but my parents wouldn't let me do it.
    Last edited by Disturbed; 05-08-2021 at 03:33 AM.

TIM
    ESI-Fi 146w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    Dude, I loved the Dreamcast, but don't be shitting on the original Xbox.
    LOL. It did have some pretty good exclusives, if the PS2 hadn't had Devil May Cry 1 and 3 as exclusives, then I'd definitely say the Original Xbox was better.

Anyway, I'm happy that people found this thread worthy of replying to.

Cool thread