Thread: Xerxe lifestyle change

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Xerxe lifestyle change

I'm trying out a new lifestyle: I'm gonna be off the Internet for a few months to see what happens. I mean completely off other than to do my job. No email. No social media. No listening to music on Youtube. No random Google searches.

Adios.

Restricted user
    TIM
    SLI-Si 6w5 613 sp/so
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How'd it go?

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LemurianLo View Post
    How'd it go?
    It went OK. I got more work done and had better concentration. I felt more in control of my behaviour --- didn't surrender to the impulse to type "www.the16types.info" every time I opened up a browser. When I wanted to relax, I would clear my head by staring outside my balcony or walking around my apartment.

Restricted user
    TIM
    SLI-Si 6w5 613 sp/so
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried a limited version of this where I would go online but only at a public place with wifi like Starbucks or the library where it would be an inconvenience to use the internet so that I wouldn't spend any unnecessary time on the internet. Went amazing well until COVID screwed that over and couldn't access public wifi anymore then relapsed back to my old ways.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LemurianLo View Post
    I tried a limited version of this where I would go online but only at a public place with wifi like Starbucks or the library where it would be an inconvenience to use the internet so that I wouldn't spend any unnecessary time on the internet. Went amazing well until COVID screwed that over and couldn't access public wifi anymore then relapsed back to my old ways.
    That sounds like a good plan. They have a vaccine now, so there's still hope.

There's this book called Digital Minimalism. It makes the case for going on a tech. detox and provides a solid plan for how not to backslide. Among other things, the author argues that people fail to reach their goals when it comes to addiction because they don't cultivate meaningful alternative activities. These can include hobbies or activities with friends. Binge-browsing should just make you bored at that point.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Do not use mobile internet devices and be more time out of the home.