Thread: Mental Wandering

TIM
    POOP™
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mental Wandering

I don't know if this has been asked before, but I'm wondering if anyone relates and what type they are.

Like, at work (and normally), my wind tends to wander a lot, and when I try to juggle too many things, I notice I tend to veer off track sometimes or forget something I was keeping in mind or doing. It's not uncommon for me to walk through a door and forget why I walked into the room, lol. And no, it's not dementia. I also noticed that my work buddy, who I guess I unconsciously read as a sensor, probably SLI-Te, doesn't seem to have this problem and it's a little irksome when he notices every time I get sidetracked and have to take a moment to remember something or refocus on what I'm doing.

Anyone relate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramas View Post
    Just rename this place Beta Central lmao
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightWilderness View Post
    The only problem socionics has given me is a propensity to analyze every relationship from the lens of socionics and I also see that it is worse in my boyfriend. Nothing makes any sense that way and it does not really solve any problems.

TIM
    ISTP
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have noticed this tendency in Alpha NTs.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure if this is related to one specific type.

If I have a specific goal in mind I tend not to forget it easily -- say, if I'm writing a paper, I won't forget where I'm going with it or what I'm currently writing about. I do tend to forget more automatic tasks; for instance if I'm going to get a glass of water or to feed myself, I'll often forget why I got up or where I'm going.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yeah. I tend boot new sequences of thought while never having finished the previous. Some sort parallel thingy. Like keeping my fingers in a sync while writing seems like no go at times.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. My ESE mother, SLE brother, ESI sister bully me about it. My SLI ex-husband thought it was cute though. It made him giggle.
    The mind is restless and difficult to restrain, but it is subdued by practice

-Krishna

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OP, I don't think that is type related. If it were, SEIs would be the champions of it. Or it is dementia in my case.
    Sicuramente cercherai il significato di questo.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is not type related,but circumstance related. If you are doing what you want to do, there will be focus. Otherwise all kind of mechanisms will start taking effect. anything from daydreaming to P/A behavior, or outright rebellion.

Now obviously some types are more than other types in situations where they must do things they really do not want to do.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes. I’m guilty of leaving the keys in the door, leaving my trunk open overnight, loosing my phone and hairbrush particularly (I bought several and now I’m back down to 1), and leaving the stove top on. Yesterday I was speaking to my mom on speaker while driving and stopped at a 4 way stop. I completely zoned out and forgot I was at a four way stop and had a bunch of cars honk at me (most embarrassing thing I’ve done in a while).

Anyway lol I don’t think it’s type related. My eldest daughter told me she thinks I’m developing Alzheimer’s.
    Last edited by Aster; 11-06-2020 at 08:34 PM.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure this is about Ne.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I forget what I was doing in the middle of doing it all the time. I have a habit of writing everything down because if I don't it is gone with the wind.

TIM
    IEI-Fe(C)
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mind wanders but it's a bit different than what you describe
    i have a hard time not tuning out what people are saying

for example, in class. i am always the friend that you can't rely on to fill you in on what the teacher just said because i won't know either.

but also in more serious situations
    for example i was preparing to take an x-ray on Monday and the lady told me to do something and i thought i was listening and outwardly i was going through all the tangible motions of listening. on autopilot yk
    a minute after she left i realized i had no idea what the instructions were and then i felt very silly and ill-adjusted to the real world.
    i don't even know what i'm thinking of when i tune out. my mind's just literally somewhere else.

so that's a Ni version of mental wandering.
    i don't tend to forget my purpose at a given moment, moreso than an average individual may.
    Last edited by persimmonism; 11-07-2020 at 04:39 AM.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This happens to me sometimes too, but never in serious situations. It’s never “irksome” for me, except when I forget something that I wanted to say. On rare occasions I also mix up words and blabber out something completely different from what I intended like low-key Biden/Tourettes. I do think it’s somewhat more common for intuitives, especially alpha NTs and IEIs maybe.

@Nobody, Does it bother you?

TIM
    POOP™
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    It is not type related,but circumstance related. If you are doing what you want to do, there will be focus. Otherwise all kind of mechanisms will start taking effect. anything from daydreaming to P/A behavior, or outright rebellion.

Now obviously some types are more than other types in situations where they must do things they really do not want to do.
    So I looked this up on google just to see what it said and apparently this is associated with poor performance on reading comprehension or performing tasks and poor working memory.

Given that I'm kind of expecting this to have high correlation with introversion and maybe intuitives, that seems pretty negative overall. Where's the creative aspect to this? It's like back in school where everything has to be black and white when there's more than just the plain words or task at hand to think about?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalinoche buenasnoches View Post
    @Nobody, Does it bother you?
    Oh, no not really. It's just annoying when other people expect me to not be like that, like it's not normal or something. I guess that's why I tend to steer away from jobs where I'm going to be micro-managed.

But it is annoying when I put something down somewhere and have no recollection of where I put it...

edit: alternatively, I guess I could be early senile...who knows...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramas View Post
    Just rename this place Beta Central lmao
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightWilderness View Post
    The only problem socionics has given me is a propensity to analyze every relationship from the lens of socionics and I also see that it is worse in my boyfriend. Nothing makes any sense that way and it does not really solve any problems.

TIM
    LIE ENTj
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The stereotype is Alpha and Delta N types. I do relate, but it's because I'm always trying to be productive with my thoughts. I'd rather not waste time not thinking, or intentionally focusing on something pointless, which I can do. The best example of my style of thinking is Sherlock Holmes sitting in an arm chair trying to work out a problem.

It looks a lot like daydreaming, and feels like daydreaming, but it's not. It's focused. Basically what you read here is the result. It works incredibly well in conversation, but not so well alone, as I tend to jump from one topic to another, which I am limiting to this comparison for a juxtaposition purpose.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrenology

An optimist - does not get discouraged under any circumstances. Life upheavals and stressful events only toughen him and make more confident. He likes to laugh and entertain people. Enters contact with someone by involving him with a humorous remark. His humor is often sly and contain hints and double meanings. Easily enters into arguments and bets, especially if he is challenged. When arguing his points is often ironic, ridicules the views of his opponent. His irritability and hot temper may be unpleasant to others. However, he himself is not perceptive of this and believes that he is simply exchanging opinions.

http://www.wikisocion.net/en/index.php?title=LIE_Profile_by_Gulenko

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Intuition. If you are getting into elaborate mental constructions then it's probably Ni.