Thread: 2020 Disunited States of America Election

Threaded View

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerxe View Post
    Making Twitter unban Trump is like making a baker bake a gay cake. Both are forms of compelled political expression.

For the record, I don't think that he should have been banned. That is, however, a pertinent analogy.
    Unless that baker is part of a global baking monopoly that actively colludes with other food industry monopolies to shut down all competition so there's nowhere else to go, they're not the same. You can go to another baker. But when people tried to go to alternative social media (Gab, Parler) that's when Google, Apple, Amazon and even Visa/Mastercard colluded to shut those avenues down.

Also, Twitter wants to have the protected rights of a public forum, while preventing large groups from entering that forum. Either they are a public forum, or they're not. You can't have it both ways.

Edit: Just saw your post
    Quote Originally Posted by xerxe
    In general, the fact that tech. giants are monopolies spoils the analogy—I agree with that. In this instance, the president has access to other channels, which saves the analogy; he can call a press conference or go on Fox News virtually anytime that he wants.
    Trump can, the vast numbers of other people getting kicked off cannot. That's why I keep stressing that it isn't just him, and it's been happening for quite awhile and is most likely going to keep happening and get worse. People only notice because it's him. They don't notice when it's some random nobody, or even thousands of nobodies, but they should.
    Last edited by squark; 01-16-2021 at 02:48 PM.