Thread: Socionics is suspicious because 16 is too symmetrical a number

TIM
    ILE-H
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Socionics is suspicious because 16 is too symmetrical a number

Types in real life are never that symmetrical. Look at the periodic table of element or the standard model of elementary particles. They have patterns (periodic table has cosets, particle physics has duals and lie groups like SO3, U, etc...), but they don't have clean numbers like 16.
    [Today 03:36 AM] anotherperson: this forum feels like the edge of the internet

TIM
    ISTP
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Socionics is necessarily ”symmetrical” as in having an even number of types because it is expressed in binary (dichotomies). You either have a trait or not, there is no in between. It doesn’t make the theory suspect in itself. To represent infinite variation and a spectrum of types with more detail, you just add more dichotomies. It is like analog to digital conversion, adding more bits (dichotomies) enhances the resolution.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

One could say that particle physics is somewhat suspect also. Hopefully, doubt will inspire a more scientific approach to Socionics; it's only at the there-seems-to-be-a-pattern stage - like dark energy.

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    ILE-H
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Northstar View Post
    Socionics is necessarily ”symmetrical” as in having an even number of types because it is expressed in binary (dichotomies). You either have a trait or not, there is no in between. It doesn’t make the theory suspect in itself. To represent infinite variation and a spectrum of types with more detail, you just add more dichotomies. It is like analog to digital conversion, adding more bits (dichotomies) enhances the resolution.
    That's cool! So there could be 8bit, 16bit, 32bit, etc... versions of Socionics?
    [Today 03:36 AM] anotherperson: this forum feels like the edge of the internet

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly. As long as you are aware of if the types in the dichotomy prefer the same quality or the opposite quality, the basic rules of socionics apply.

TIM
    ISTP
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SocietyOTLittleFlower View Post
    That's cool! So there could be 8bit, 16bit, 32bit, etc... versions of Socionics?
    Yeah, classic model A (or MBTI, for that matter) is 4-bit (2^4 = 16). The DCNH system adds 3 more dichotomies which would result in a 7-bit typology of 128 types, but because only half of the combinations are "allowed" or considered distinct subtypes, it becomes a 6-bit typology of 64 types.

The Reinin dichotomies are fully derived from the basic dichotomies and don't add any more information as every type only matches to one combination of Reinin dichotomies.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The human body is also almost totally symmetric on the y-axis. Is this suspicious too?
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    The human body is also almost totally symmetric on the y-axis. Is this suspicious too?
    Only the surface. Neurologically not true but there do exists near exceptions.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    POOP™
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It IS suspicious, if you don't really believe in duality of functions or think it's not that important most of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramas View Post
    Just rename this place Beta Central lmao
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightWilderness View Post
    The only problem socionics has given me is a propensity to analyze every relationship from the lens of socionics and I also see that it is worse in my boyfriend. Nothing makes any sense that way and it does not really solve any problems.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    LOL. I was thinking this too. Does OP also find things like mirrors and starfish suspicious?

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbbds View Post
    LOL. I was thinking this too. Does OP also find things like mirrors and starfish suspicious?

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

People want symmetry, it's natural. People find symmetrical faces and things much more pleasing and attractive than asymmetry which causes disarray. It causes people to feel dizzy, "ugly" and disorientated. It literally is like being on a weird amusement park ride forever that doesn't let up and makes you vomit. It's not a good way of being. The brain is always trying to symmetrize things itself even because of this. The human body also has natural functions like homeostasis which tries to bring you to that point of symmetry. Your body likes to stay at average 97-98-ish degrees no matter what is going on outside.

The problem comes in relationships when people think being involved in somebody no good for them will bring them 'symmetry' but it really brings it's opposite.

I agree tho that life isn't a neat butterfly pattern of perfect yawn-ness. How boring! That is kind when 'symmetry' goes too far and pretty ribbon-y. Human beings are complex in that in the end we crave symmetry but we also wish to be broken apart out of it- because it's like the chaotic stir that causes orgasms. That is why subs and most people feel so empowered if somebody talks about them being cut up without being a loser emo overly empathetic dork about it, but would be rightfully horrified and offended if they actually did it.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Well, I have worked with frameworks that dealt with scientific systems that had very broken regulaties. It was very patchy to get it working. You could call it b0rked. So basically it called for symmetrization for the end viewer. It works as long as it does not change out from the ordinary regularity and it could raise its ugly head unexpectedly. Kind of funny way to think if it is as a grand scheme of things. Well, I heard that introduction of breakage in symmetry in thermodynamics borked some of it immediately... so have a nice rest of the weekend thinking about the shaky grounds you stand on.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org