Thread: SEIs and Si

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default SEIs and Si

SEIs and Si

As I saw there was still some discussion as to whether non Si egos understood what Si is, I wrote the following. If you think I missed something, put forward your question.

Si is, before anything, the constant awareness of how the environment affects the nervous system. Causing a sensitivity that prompts the person to always be trying to come back to their center. Imagine having a hard day at the office and that you picture a Caribbean beach to relax. Notice the beach is out of reach for analysis. Its only function is to de-stress you by whatever associations you mind imposes on it. This is why the ‘impressions’ are hard to describe. The object that serves as a fuse can be anything: a piece of music, a scenery, a vibe, “the future”, the display of a specific sentence in a text… Jung was on track when he described objects as holding the subject under a spell: the impression is always jovial as it keeps its novelty. Some can be toyed with an this can turn the experience into a surpisingly exacting and texturized one at times*. If in the middle of this ‘trance’ the person looks at the process as if from outside, they will be able to say some possess somewhat of a brilliance, a shade, a taste. An impactful stimulus can go the distance to induce strong physical reactions (being sexually aroused by a beautiful building, for example).

*How a creative SEI would go about creating art would be a continuation of this. It follows from this the suitable means the SEI will be partial to: poetry over novel writing, for example.
    Sicuramente cercherai il significato di questo.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

SEIs carry around amassed assortments of information that they think is actual and factual (not all is truly accurate), and much of it is held sacrosanct; they seem to hold these references very close and compare everything and everybody to them. They can have a rather bigoted approach to life and I don't mean that in a negative sense. I picture SXIs as living in castles of opinion and viewing the world from the inside in a guarded fashion. Mostly what SEIs seem to guard are their references, possessions and reputations and what they seem to value most are their health, safety and comfort. Even though they operate from very practical baselines and are very perceptive of physical nuances, they can make some rather rash judgements and react in knee-jerk fashions usually thinking that they need to defend themselves - some can metaphorically bolt upon noticing only a shadow.

a.k.a. I/O

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So why do SEIs have trouble describing or finding themselves? Because Si functions as an antenna that is constantly receiving information, and to which Jung referred to as the process inflicted by Si: as if an ancient consciousness/being were doing the perceiving. SEIs know at some level they are a receptor, a canvas. But it's a zany answer to the question 'how would you describe youself?'. So, they struggle.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelondeck View Post
    SEIs carry around amassed assortments of information that they think is actual and factual (not all is truly accurate), and much of it is held sacrosanct; they seem to hold these references very close and compare everything and everybody to them. They can have a rather bigoted approach to life and I don't mean that in a negative sense. I picture SXIs as living in castles of opinion and viewing the world from the inside in a guarded fashion. Mostly what SEIs seem to guard are their references, possessions and reputations and what they seem to value most are their health, safety and comfort. Even though they operate from very practical baselines and are very perceptive of physical nuances, they can make some rather rash judgements and react in knee-jerk fashions usually thinking that they need to defend themselves - some can metaphorically bolt upon noticing only a shadow.

a.k.a. I/O
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't what you are describing here much more the result of their Ti-Mobilizing and Te-PoLR than of their Si lead? I can see this clearly in my GF's behavior: when she's stressed after a day of hard work, she just bakes herself some cookies. It is not so much that she wants to eat those cookies, but making them is what calms her down, being physically involved with the baking process,using her hands to kneed the dough and get a feel of the dough's texture etc.etc. For an SEI, this behavior is about taking back control. But when we sit down to discuss about various topics, all kinds of ludicrous opinions come out of her mouth. I don't think these have anything to do with Si at all.

Same with SLIs, but with them it's their Fi-Mobilizing instead of Ti, so with SLIs it makes them look more harsh where the SEIs look ludicrous.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusal View Post
    So why do SEIs have trouble describing or finding themselves? Because Si functions as an antenna that is constantly receiving information, and to which Jung referred to as the process inflicted by Si: as if an ancient consciousness/being were doing the perceiving. SEIs know at some level they are a receptor, a canvas. But it's a zany answer to the question 'how would you describe youself?'. So, they struggle.
    I agree that they're excellent receptors and are usually very aware of their environment. All Ips seem to think that they hold the high-ground and they remain on guard of that position always tending to look outward. They hone their skills but rarely their positions; however, to truly know oneself, one has to first look inward and at one's position. Si-types have the additional handicap of not easily being able to see themselves in context; they may seek another's opinion but often won't reveal the full story to the other person. SXIs need to spend much more time dwelling on their successes and especially their failures. Unfortunately, they rarely seem to study the past or what actually caused the situation; instead they focus on how to do better in future. I have seen them make the same mistake but with better skill.

a.k.a. I/O

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't what you are describing here much more the result of their Ti-Mobilizing and Te-PoLR than of their Si lead?.....
    Unfortunately, I view type from an information control system perspective, which is so far from Socionics modelling that I'm unable to respond properly to your question. More than a few SXIs often refuse to do any more than they've already done saying it's good enough, and will seek something else to do as an excuse to no longer continue. Now, all types need distractions from stress and they all have different ways of achieving that.

a.k.a. I/O

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately, I view type from an information control system perspective, which is so far from Socionics modelling that I'm unable to respond properly to your question. More than a few SXIs often refuse to do any more than they've already done saying it's good enough, and will seek something else to do as an excuse to no longer continue. Now, all types need distractions from stress and they all have different ways of achieving that.

a.k.a. I/O
    I agree with this insight about SxIs, but I don see how it relates to my implied question. As far as your information control system perspective is concerned: this IS a site about Socionics, so it makes sense to either discuss things from a theoretical Socionics perspective, or you elaborate about that information control perspective of yours.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I agree with this insight about SxIs, but I don see how it relates to my implied question. As far as your information control system perspective is concerned: this IS a site about Socionics, so it makes sense to either discuss things from a theoretical Socionics perspective, or you elaborate about that information control perspective of yours.
    I would assume that it doesn't relate. I have posted a lot about my perspective. I agree with the Socionics divisions of classifications and the fundamental premise but the modelling that has been derived from them is rather archaic, which sounds even worse coming from an old guy. I'm too much of an engineer to believe in a model that's no more than extensions of the observations - somewhat like asking why fruit falls from the trees so we invent a fruit salad of falling types and fail to search for gravity.

a.k.a. I/O

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would assume that it doesn't relate. I have posted a lot about my perspective. I agree with the Socionics divisions of classifications and the fundamental premise but the modelling that has been derived from them is rather archaic, which sounds even worse coming from an old guy. I'm too much of an engineer to believe in a model that's no more than extensions of the observations - somewhat like asking why fruit falls from the trees so we invent a fruit salad of falling types and fail to search for gravity.

a.k.a. I/O
    Spoken like a true Ti type.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

simple
    Sees the tree for not what it was
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@Rusal

I think you also indirectly/not so indirectly? explained how Si and Ne work together too and the natural dualistic relationship between them. You need new novel (Ne) things to make the Si interesting and 'work' otherwise to me it would seem if Si existed in a vacuum it would just be eternal homeostasis and be incredibly boring at best or incredibly crippling at worst. It makes me think of an asshole LIE businessman casting Stop on a Te polr SEI by screaming at him to 'get a job.' The ILE's Ne would then more politely and accurately give them the right job to do for himself. Because of the novel new nature of Ne, Si isn't a stuck and Thomas Kincade-y picture of a boring peaceful beach because of it.

I think the song 'Pure Shores' by Pure Saints is a good example of Ne/Si duality. She wants to go to that peaceful and soulfully soothing beach, but wants to get there in a fun and poppy way not just kill herself with enneagram 9 dead-ness. =D

"Ran along many moors, walked through many doors." (Si with Ne)

"I'm coming , not drowning swimming closer to you" (SEI 9 integrating to 3 instead of devolving to 6)

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

using her hands to kneed the dough and get a feel of the dough's texture etc.etc. For an SEI, this behavior is about taking back control.
    In my opnion, SEIs are among the types with high likelihood of developing excoriation disorder, trichollomania, etc.