Thread: Your hair strands

TIM
    IEI-Fe(C)
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Your hair strands

Last edited by persimmonism; 07-22-2021 at 08:23 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My hair was ok as a child but then went so thick, curly and frizzy that many hairdressers claim they are not trained to cut it. I’ve been told it’s like African American hair despite me being of English, Scottish, Irish and Norwegian descent, lol. To deal with it at least half of my hair is always shaved underneath so if I tied up my hair most of my head would look bare.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all my hair seems the same thickness to me...The actual hair follicles are very thin, but I actually have a lot of it...but looks thin. all my hair dressers I’ve had when they color my hair say something like, wow your hair is actually pretty thick, I’m going to have to grab another bottle of color, I thought it was thinner. I wish it had more body and I’ve tried to fry it in the past just so it will do something. anyway, it’s wavy in the back underneath and it’s a real pain to try to straighten, and most of the time I don’t even try. that’s really the only inconsistency.

I’m American of British/German ancestry
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm mostly Slav mixed with German, some Italian & Greek, have very fine and dense dark blonde hair.
    I used to have very fine & dense straw-blonde hair for most of my childhood.
    It looks like I'm similar to my cousin, neither of us will ever be bald like our fathers. Weird.
    My brother has my dad's hair (curly blond? wtf) he is 24 and going bald lol.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m half Asian too and my hair is very fine and dark brown. Being in a humid environment gives it a bit more volume and frizz.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

European ancestry. My hair is some medium brown or something and incredibly fine. It tangles really easily because the strands are so thin. I think they're all about the same size. They aren't all the same color most likely.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm Slavic, but not from Eastern Europe, so my hair is a really dark brown. I think texture wise, all the strands are the same thickness, and it's also very healthy and shiny despite the hairdye. I don't think the strands themselves are particularly thick but I do have volume. I've been blessed with good hair in that regard.

As for whether it's straight, wavy or curly, I am the same as @Vex in that my mom has curly hair, and my dad straight, and mine is some weird mixture of both that behaves differently with different hairstyles and drying techniques. Right now I have virtually no layers in my hair so it looks straight/a bit wavy. When I had a lot of layers, it curled up.

I've also recently switched to shampoo without any silicone. I don't know if it's doing much, I suppose I should give it a lot more time lol.

TIM
    ISTP
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My hair annoys me because it’s so stubbornly stiff and straight and will just stand straight up no matter what. I just ignore it, only mowing it down with a machine once it gets too long. It’s kinda coarse and thick, so good thing is that it’s pretty indestructible and likely won’t fall off. Someone cutting it once compared it to hemp rope.
    Mostly finnish ancestry and I think that is where it comes from, nobody else in my family has hair like this though. Color is light brown now, used to be blonde before my teens.

TIM
    SEE-N™ WPEL™ 863
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My natural hair is dark brown with some red, wavy, fine, fluffy, volume. My bangs start basically from the middle of head and I have 2 calicks in the front that next to each other which gives my bangs some pouffiness. I also have 2 calicks on top of my head which gives my hair a sort of “bump” on top. I probably got the red strands from my mom’s side because she’s Mediterranean (Italian, French, Spanish). She has raven black hair, but one of her younger brothers was born with white blonde (same parents).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm a mix of Western European, Turkish, and Kurdish ancestry, my hair is dark brown (though going slightly grey in some areas even though I'm only in my 30s *cries*), wavy, and has thicker strands in some areas (like the front) than others (side or back). I like it shorter because the waviness of it is easier to manage, too long and it starts to look pretty messy.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Based on the look of close relatives, am ethnically mixed of north/balts and south/turks, as mb most Russians/"ukranians"/"belorussians" of the centr. Relatives have significant look variety even among siblings, due to mixing. My appearance mb said as close to eastern balts. Until 20 yo was closer to blond. With the age hairs become darker, what I notice when see them cuted as prefer short hairs since ~20 yo.
    Besides the color, did not thought what kind of hairs I have. Seemed to be common. Not curly.

TIM
    IEI-Fe(C)
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But what about the individual strands? Are they uniform or do they vary?

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I've got British Isles heritage, my hair is a mix of red, brown, and blonde, and it's incredibly thick, straight, and dense so I look like a mowed lawn when my hair is short-medium length. My hair doesnt vary in thickness, I didn't even know that could happen.

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weird. My husband also has red, brown, and blonde hair. I never would have believed it if I hadn’t seen for myself lol. His hair is very thin. He was very blonde as a child, toe head. But now it’s every color, and his beard is red lol. People think he’s a red head, which he hates. He’s of mostly English ancestry. Some Swedish and Dutch too I think.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatte View Post
    But what about the individual strands? Are they uniform or do they vary?
    Uniform in my case. I keep my hair short for convenience. IF I let it grow it would look like the hair of Legolas :/.. its like this super fine silky dense uniform blond hair.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aster View Post
    Weird. My husband also has red, brown, and blonde hair. I never would have believed it if I hadn’t seen for myself lol. His hair is very thin. He was very blonde as a child, toe head. But now it’s every color, and his beard is red lol. People think he’s a red head, which he hates. He’s of mostly English ancestry. Some Swedish and Dutch too I think.

Same.

TIM
    SEI-Si 648 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I am 100% Asian, and my strands vary in thickness. It can be reddish brown in the light, but it is mostly black. It's wavy in humidity and straight if I add stuff to it. I have currently bleached my hair though and will be dyeing it light purple very soon.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm Caucasian, and the hair on my head is dishwater blond, with some natural highlights. My facial hair, when I choose to let it grow, is the same color, with various shades of red mixed in here and there.

I like my hair color, but I really hate my hair texture. It's quite wavy, and I prefer it to be nice and straight. Taming it requires a mix of luck and extensive time with my hair straightening iron.