Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Skincare (Routine, Recommendations, and Talk)

TIM
    SEI 9w1
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by one View Post
    Any advice on chapped lips? My lips are bleeding
    This has been happening to me. I just put a lot of Vaseline on my lips throughout the day
    Chronic "grass is always greener" syndrome

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

When cleaning up the house, I found this small tube of Vaseline Lip Therapy (original) in a drawer. Probably my SLI ex bought it, and she was an expert at keeping her skin moisturized. She also had a knack for finding the best of everything. This stuff is not expensive but it works great.

And the small tube size means it fits in my travel case. You never know, when you are crossing the Kalahari, when you might need lip moisturizer.

Banned
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vaseline can help heal chapped lips, but it's also good to make sure you are drinking plenty of water and not to lick, pick, or bite them while they heal. Your house may be too dry and you may want to buy a humidifier for your bedroom. There are other lip balms out there that are more effective than just petroleum jelly. If you have cracked dry lips buy a lip scrub and a lip balm for the healing process.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Lovegood View Post
    I used to have a skin care routine but now I've become lazy...maybe I need to start back.

I literally can't exfoliate my face. At least not with physical exfoliants...they cause micro cuts on my skin. I have a spin brush that I barely use...I only use the silicone brush head since it's gentle.

The only thing over the years that has shown significant improvement of my skin is apple cider vinegar...most other things don't work for me, or if they did they stop working after a while.
    I can recommend the gentle cream exfoliant from dermalogica. They're a bit pricey but non-abrasive but still gentle enough. It might have been discontinued? I have a few bottles of these in my bathroom.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a skincare routine, but the thing that really helps my skin is drinking lots of water and doing routine exercises that make me sweat a lot (like running).
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ooo okay I’ll buy Laneige. I use Burt’s Bees lip balm but it’s just not working!! My lips are so dead at this point lmao. Thanks for the reco!
    which burts bees lip balm have you been using? I started using this one morning/night/several times a day, and it’s been working for me better then their other chap sticks. I also have these two I like quite a bit, use them here and there….

https://www.amazon.com/Tree-Hut-Hydr.../dp/B07VSJWW3W

https://www.target.com/p/soap-38-glo...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

the tree hut butter I usually put over my lipstick and the soap and glory I use maybe once a day

but hurts bees has a lip oil and imo it’s so gross, don’t get it lol it’s literally the nastiest gloss/oil I’ve ever tried…couldn’t believe it considering it’s burts bees…https://www.burtsbees.com/product/hy...850904774.html
    Last edited by Aster; 10-05-2021 at 02:29 PM.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m so distraught…seriously

I found a routine that was really working for me. I had to change it up since my last post since I was still getting broken out . I think it was either the Bliss vitamin c moisturizer, or the Bliss Glycolic Polyhydroxy Acid. I discontinued both for a while, and my face cleared up. So now I have a new routine that hasn’t been breaking me out yet and is clearing up my face.

So I have been using St. Ives Lemon and Mandarin Facial Scrub~ I’ve tried a shit ton of facial scrubs, cheap and expensive, and so far this one is my favorite. I actually have been using this on my whole body first and foremost, and my face, in the shower and scrubbing with an organic Egyptian loofah mit. The scrub is pretty gritty and rough~ might be too much for some, and the Egyptian loofah is hard-ish, and I was like ‘whaaaaatttt’ at first lol, but it softens once it gets wet.

Then I use my favorite, I will never live without, Soap and Glory Vitamin C Facial Wash (seriously my favorite product), on my face. Then I put Burts Bees Lavender and Honey body wash on the Egyptian loofa and wash down with that.

Before bed I’ve been using Glow Recipe Avocado Retinol Sleeping Mask ONLY. My face hasn’t been breaking out, and now I really really like it. BUT (here’s the distraught part)…I got online to order some more…discontinued….DISCONTINUED!!! How will I live??? Lol. I found some on eBay, and I’m considering it

I also put on burts bees lavender and honey lip butter before bed and when I wake up and really anytime I’m at home and I notice my lips are dry

In the morning I wash my face with my beloved Soap and Glory Vitamin C face wash. Then I swipe my face down with Burts Bees calming toner. Then I put on Bliss glow and hydrate Niacinamide & Hyaluronic Acid Day serum. But I really want to try Glow recipes hyaluronic serum…just afraid to change things up now lol

…Then I put on PUR 4-in-1 Tinted Moisturizer. Some mascara, which I still havent found one I love, concealer if need be (need to find a better one) and burts bees blush basin satin lipstick (a light pinkish nude color) and tree hut sugar lips lip butter over it.

So far this is really working out for me, but everyone’s skin is different, just have to find a routine that works Think I’m on maybe day 6 of this, so we’ll see
    Last edited by Aster; 10-08-2021 at 01:26 PM.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone else use this? I love it.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've used it a few times, it was so nice. Just needs more moisturizer for me after washing it off since it can be drying.

My skin is fine after using it but my wife's dries out a lot.

Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eudaimonia View Post

Does anyone else use this? I love it.
    It’s a holy grail!it deserved to be praised!

(also always love hearing about your skincare recommendations yo)

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I’ve switched some things up

now I’m washing my face morning and night, first using a gentle exfoliater (st. Ives gentle smoothing scrub, rose water & aloe), followed by soap and glory vitamin c facial wash, then I use a toner (burts bees rose water toner). Then I put on a vitamin c & hyaluronic serum (Derma-E), and vitamin c eye cream. I was trying CeraVe eye repair cream, but it didn’t seem to do shit. It was my first CeraVe product and I wasn’t impressed. I was thinking about getting the CeraVe facial wash, and I’ll prob still try it because of good reviews, but….yeah…not nearly as excited or enthusiastic about it now. But the last few days I’ve been using left overs of sweet chef turmeric & vitamin c eye cream, and when I got it, I didn’t think it did shit either, but now I think maybe it was after trying the ceraVe eye cream. It seems to do better anyway. I went to target looking for Bliss Assured Dark Circle Reducing Depuffing Eye Cream. I looked everywhere and couldn’t find it, so I grabbed Pacifica Glow Baby Bright Eye Cream. I really wanted to try it because I’ve loved every single one of the bliss products I’ve tried before. I’ve only tried Pacifica body spray so far. I was thinking of taking back the Pacifica after I realized I had been looking in the wrong aisle, but maybe I’ll just keep it and try it. I haven’t decided yet lol.

anyway, after I let all this shit set on my face, I’ve been putting on. La Roche-Posey Lipikar Balm for body & face. I was pretty hesitant to put it on my face at first, but dear god!!! Best moisturizer I’ve ever tried, for the body or face. I haven’t had ANY dry skin on my face since I’ve been using it and it hasn’t made me break out at all. Now I want to try everything La Roche-Posey. But I’ve found a routine that hasn’t been breaking my face out at all and it hasn’t been getting dry at all. I might have to switch it up when it gets warmer out. Idk. The only problem I have with the moisturizer is that it leaves the face really shine and if you don’t let it sit for a few hours, and put makeup on, it causes my makeup to pill.

I also switched the burts bees out for Vaseline rosy lips. And if I put it on whenever I feel my lips getting dry- no dry lips at all.

so Vaseline rosy lips
    and La Roche-Posey Lipkar Balm
    ——> new face products I’ve tried

i Really want to try Sunday Riley Luna & Good Genes
    and Paulas Choice Toner
    and some of this the Ordinary and Tula products
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My skin is highly sensitive. Mechanical methods to exfoliate my face put me in a lot of pain. Using face scrubs containing acids and other detergents is out of the question because I am allergic to many chemical ingredients found in skin-treating products. I discovered a soap containing ground oats to be effective. I buy mine at https://mildsoaps.com/hypoallergenic-sensitive-skin/, it is hypoallergenic, and it treats my skin in the best way possible.
    Last edited by Lenotmve; 02-04-2022 at 06:44 AM.

ginkgo-peepo
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a spreadsheet of product reviews.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

In the past I've noted that claims made by various products about skin health, appearance etc. don't hold up to scrutiny, but not especially cared for the specific details because it hasn't been a topic of interest. I mean, it's nice to have skin that's healthy and looks good, but it's just not something I think about on a daily basis. This may in large part due to being male.

A person I regularly watch on Youtube regarding health matters is Dr Brad Stanfield - he seems legit to me (on topics I care about, on the details he mentions, they seem to check out, and he likes to cite the sources for his claims using data that has at some degree of validity. Anyway, regarding skin matters, he personally takes 15 grams of collagen (via a smoothie), and 200mg of hyaluronic acid (consumed orally). Such a daily dose of hyaluronic acid is going to be easier for people to take simply because the quantity is much smaller. I don't take either myself, but those are what I'd focus on if I especially cared about my skin.

Anyway, you might be interested in these two videos (and the research papers linked in each video's description):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G75biex4H5A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAXYVyiYZKQ

(you can search his Youtube channel for more related stuff, those just seemed the most fitting).

All you need for good skin is adrenochrome and unconditional love

Edit: the best cleanser I've used so far is Eucerin pH5 Huile de Douche Peau Sèche et Sensible. It is on the pricy side if it is used as a shower gel but I only use it as a face wash (i get the 1L). Very inoffensive. Using a cotton pad soaked with Bioderma Sensibio H2O Micellair Water (which is just as unoffensive) I make sure everything has been removed and it always comes clear even though a certain mascara + setting spray combo can be tricky.
    Last edited by Kalinoche buenanoche; 08-05-2023 at 01:30 PM.

ginkgo-peepo
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Subteigh
    another probable source of reliable information is Lab Muffin and The Beauty Brains, although the latter focuses on cosmetic products in general, mostly with the theme of invalidating dubious claims. I recommend these sources as they often tend to cite dermatological and cosmetic research.

If anti-aging is the goal of skincare, vitamin A topicals (retinoids) seemingly have the most well-established benefits. In short, retinoids stimulate collagen production, reduce collagen loss, catalyze quicker skin cell turnover, etc.
    Baldwin, Hilary E et al. “40 years of topical tretinoin use in review.” Journal of drugs in dermatology: JDD vol. 12,6 (2013): 638-42.
    For those who may be interested, here is a comprehensive guide to tretinoin (probably the most commonly prescribed retinoid).

However, sunscreen is arguably the most important skincare product in terms of its substantial benefits.

Does Visible Light Cause Skin Damage? And How to Protect Against It
    Why You Should Protect Yourself From UVA

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Skincare (Routine, Recommendations, and Talk)

Quote Originally Posted by Aster View Post
    after I let all this shit set on my face

when you have anything for natural ways to beauty

P.S.
    For better skin should help physical training (this improves the coming of substances), some meal as suflower oil (2-3 table spoons per day), fruits/salads having vitamins C and A, enough of water. This will improve all of skin look, not just some places. It's safe approach.
    Women after 45 may use sex hormones. But it arises health risks.
    Sun quickly ages the skin. Can be used hats if you don't want this. Or do not present much on sun.
    Natural human body resource is up to ~40 years. It's doubtful to look "good" with this coming.
    The better accent is to support health and productivity, including by reducing risks. Not the look. If you are healthy and in good energy - you'll give good impression by your "look".
    Last edited by Sol; 08-06-2023 at 12:24 AM.

It seems that buying ingredients in powder form instead of serums is a good idea. Higher value for money, no preservatives (i mainly keep an eye out for phenoxyethanol) and longer shelf life. And ofc easier to adjust quantities to one's own skintype. Niacinamide, salicylic acid, glycolic acid, zinc oxide, vitamin c are easy to find.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wash my face with water very well. And that is pretty much all. Enough to get tons of attn. I get it that it's different for women but what can I say I have great facial features, style and skin.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought some of these natural Japanese soaps on a whim. Pretty good stuff.

Mentioned
    320 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    I wash my face with water very well. And that is pretty much all. Enough to get tons of attn. I get it that it's different for women but what can I say I have great facial features, style and skin.
    I love this post lmao

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love this post lmao
    Daddy was smart to marry beautiful

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone's skin is unique, so what works for one might not work for another. It's all about finding your skincare groove!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My routine is pretty chill - cleanser, moisturizer, and sunscreen are my daily MVPs. Can't skip those, right? I'm all about ingredients like hyaluronic acid for hydration and niacinamide to keep things balanced.On the flip side, I'm not a fan of overly fragranced products – they can be a bit much. As for skincare YouTubers, I've got a couple of faves for tips and tricks.Oh, and if you're into the anti-wrinkle game, you might wanna check out Argireline. It's like the low-key hero that's worth a look.
    Last edited by LouisShaman; 09-21-2023 at 03:59 AM.

Mentioned
    320 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Morning:
    - Wash face with water only
    - Toner
    - Moisturizer

Evening:
    - Oil cleanser
    - Gel cleanser
    - Toner
    - BHA MWF, AHA T
    - Serum
    - Moisturizer

- Find products that are applicable to your skin type. I do find COSRX and Innisfree are great brands.
    - Don't go outside if it's too sunny. If you have to go outside, wear sunscreen (SPF 50).
    - Skin products are useless if you don't have regular sleep and good diet. If you are too stressed it can have a lot of effect too.
    - If I don't moisturize I get red marks or acne.
    - If products and healthy lifestyle don't cut it try spearmint tea and/or primrose oil supplement.
    Damn this girl. She got it all figured out 3 years ago. Unfortunately, she decided to be dumb for some reason.

She didn't take care of her skin that way so she got a breakout months ago. She also decided to do nothing but put Tretinoin while forgetting to moisturize even though it's bad for her. Result is breakout, worse skin, real flop era (among other reasons in life).

Anyway I went to a dermatologist to just cure the whole thing because sometimes you just have to give up and let skin-jesus take the wheel. So I got routine cleaning, got peeling like every 2 weeks and every time I got a bump they got injected for them to heal fast. It was fun. It's like redoing things you already know. Trying to be hurt again just to know how it feels like. That's how dumb it was. I didn't use any skin product aside from their soap with salicylic that I had to use sparingly during this period just for the acne. But anw my skin has been "okay" for quite some time now so I'm let go by the derm and I'm left to do my own stuff.

I'll be trying some new products though but also from same brands and they basically do the same things. I would switch some of the products I used way way way back because I found some better ones just for my personal preference, like they are great but not GREAT.

For moisturizer, I just bought the one from the derm. I think they make it themselves. Never used anything like it. Smells like jasmine and it feels like heaven every time I use it. Doesn't feel greasy and heavy on the face. Previously iirc I use La Roche Posay. It's real good but imo not this great.

I've tried some toners and I guess the best one for me is still Innisfree's Volcanic Pore Toner so I wouldn't change that. When I use it, same thing with that jasmine moisturizer. Just heavenly for some reason. Maybe there's really something about volcanic ashes and my body. I tried this coffee on this place near a volcano and it was life-changing lol. They also have this Volcanic Mask and it was really good. Actually their whole Volcanic 2x line is amazing imo. Like If I don't want to explore anymore and look for the best I would settle with a routine just using that whole line and everything would be real good. They feel like they suck all the death and give you second life. Maybe they are super good for my skin type (oily). When I use them my skin doesn't feel greasy and not dry either. It's like my skin achieves balance after use.

Another one that gives me that feeling is Benton Snail Bee High Content Essence. Would keep this. It's good for skin that is prone to redness and marks. My skin is very sensitive and for some reason everything even slight pinches and itchy stuff are just very obvious. Idk.

For body I've been trying this A La Maison Oat Milk soap. I mainly bought it for the smells, I don't really expect anything from it. I use it interchangeably with anti-dandruff shampoo like Head and Shoulders lol. I just feel like I get really really clean when I use the latter unlike when I use any soap. I have occasional weird scares when it comes to dirt.

Mentioned
    320 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More than 2 weeks in I’m not having any skin issues yet.

I changed my mind and chose Propolis Synergy Toner though. Couldn’t resist to try. Idk which gives me more happiness, bee or volcanic ash. Maybe both but for now I choose bee. I guess the difference I noticed is it makes my skin way way softer. That plus serum and essence in my routine I end up not using the moisturizer anymore bec it feels like an overkill.

I attribute this a little to Ip energy- it took me years to unlock a part of my head that masters situational compatibility of things like if I use this and I use that then I can or cannot use this etc etc. all because I cannot not explore and I don’t want a set routine that I should follow until the end of time. It just couldn’t work when your whole life feels up and down. So I think bec of this, realizing the compatibility and how things relate to each other well is a necessity, like you have to be able to juggle many things in your head and check how they work together every time and you kinda expect that things would always change. It’s an extra effort but otherwise it’s boring plus it would probably be useful in presence of EP energy when things are chaotic and unpredictable bec now you can adapt.

TIM
    IEI-Fe(C)
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moisturizer, sunscreen, sleep (or at least I try), and most importantly for me it's absolutely zero added sugars/caffeine else my complexion turns yellow-ish and i get terrible acne.
    The only specific thing I use is a benzoyl peroxide cream, it's this cherry on top that seems to tighten my pores and add a little glow, seriously. It's just a little drying, though.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been on Epuris for 10 months now @ 80 mgs/ day sometimes 40. Its just another brand of isotrentinoin (modified prescription vitamin A "accutane") and its kept the acne way down and skin clear and glowing. Expensive, but I needed the nuclear option for the problem skin. Dry me out! +++

Other than that I use Nutrogena salicylic acid acne wash for my body and face, in the shower. I like the way it cleans out pores and I've found its really the only thing that cleans, at clinical level, all the forest and tree gunk and oils. Although I love the smell of sawdust, I don't want to walk around smelling like gasoline, because I still need to participate in the world, as much as I just want to walk around being a dirty logger.

For moisturizer I use Bio-Oil. I also use it in my hair as a leave in conditioner. It makes it soft and silky, smooth and shiny lol. Gives my skin an amazing non-greasy glow and fixes scaring and smooths out complexion. Love it. Amazing product.

Other wise nothing else. I don't really have the time, nor literal ability to cary around more than that when I'm flying in and out of camp, or living in hotel rooms in some random community.

I might start experimenting with anti-estrogens like letrozole because I've heard estrogens really inflame problem skin and obviously there is a hormonal component to all of this. Testosterone gets a bad wrap and there are plenty of more difficult to sus out research papers saying that androgens are literally the same in acne sufferers vs non-sufferers. Its probably about the ratios between the two hormones that matters most.

I know waaaay to much about acne.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using Neutrogena salicylic acid wash is a great choice, especially if you're out and about in the elements. It's essential to keep those pores clean, even if you're rocking the "dirty logger" vibes!Your knowledge about acne is pretty impressive, too! Hormonal factors can play a significant role, and experimenting with different approaches like anti-estrogens could be interesting.Thanks for sharing your skincare journey – it's always helpful to hear what works for others. If you ever dive into the world of Argireline, I found one resource that can get you started.
    Last edited by Ozzonio1982; 01-22-2024 at 03:18 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123