Thread: Function description that you relate to the most

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Default Function description that you relate to the most

Which description do you relate to with your type?

I relate to this one because I watch people and relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by silke's translation
    Using introverted feeling as her base function and extroverted intuition as her creative, the EII is acutely attuned to inner human essence in herself and in others. Through extraverted intuition, she becomes aware of a variety of potential options and alternatives, and often needs help to narrow them down into concrete forms. She readily and eloquently points out associations between divergent topics, subjects, and themes making an impression of someone who is well-informed. With her dominant introverted feeling, EII is able to deduce and point out the prevailing attitudes and values, and general rules and regularities that govern people's behavior and relationships. This makes the EII a natural psychologist. Indeed, EII often displays an keen interest in studying the human character, which she may seek in studies of literature, poetry, and art. EII needs to constantly set goals for herself. However it should be noted that these goals are very personal, for she places less weight on the conventional achievements that society values. At her best, the EII is known for respecting beliefs and values of others; however, to achieve her goals she may attempt to influence the views of others to coincide with her own, becoming antagonistic, stubborn and unyielding in her arguments. EII is often diligent in her work and studies. She carries out her tasks provided that she has been given instructions. Becoming acquainted, she displays a welcoming, friendly, interested attitude, and indeed enjoys reception. She has a distaste for behavior that is overtly loud, abrasive, or aggressive. When met with such attitudes, she will plead for the person to desist.

Ego Block

Leading - Introverted Ethics, Fi
    EIIs are very attuned to the nuances of interpersonal interactions and strive to keep their relations with others friendly and benevolent. They easily come into contact with others and may be sympathetic and courteous towards people even at a distance, while not being acquainted with them.
    EII readily lends a compassionate ear to others. She will listen even to people who not very close with her, and may sympathize with her enemies, because she sees the ever present potential for renewal and change. However, to protect herself, to shield herself from those who may take advantage of her inner kindness, EIIs also adopt a more austere, harsh and biting demeanor.
    Being dominant in an introverted rational function, EIIs often have well-formed opinions that they have carefully constructed and analyzed. They often excel in written and verbal self-expression, eloquently explaining their personal point of view.
    EIIs are very empathetic people and find it very easy to feel along with others. They are implicitly attuned to the inner harmony of others; due to this they are sensitive to offending someone as well as being offended themselves.
    EIIs whose feeling function is too pronounced exhibit excessively narrow, stubborn, categorical views and attitudes, and an excessively subjective orientation in their decisions.

Creative - Extroverted Intuition, Ne
    With her creative extraverted intuitive function, EII becomes aware of the multitude of possibilities that can mold the present state. This inspires her to forgive the transgressions of others for she often sees the potential for personal growth and change. Having a strong understanding of the inner workings of a personality and what constitutes harmonious emotional states, the EII can provide original advice concerning personal wellbeing and relations.
    Due to her creative intuition, EII voices and discusses different options and possibilities. She operates creatively with hypothetical and broader themes, attempts to disambiguate and clarify what she has learned. She astutely draws connections and unearths associations between various themes and concepts across different topics. Thus she can become a good researcher. She has an inquisitive mind and seeks exposure to that which is clever, novel, and unusual.
    In EIIs whose extraverted intuition is too well developed, such broad vision lends to indecision, uncertainty, and lack of focus when it comes to dealing with outside world. Due to this she comes to associate with those who can help them to narrow the options down to more pragmatic and concrete forms.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do I have the feeling that you are in need of a big consoling hug?
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you are in need of a big consoling hug?
    i always do ...

It's a California wildfire heat wave out of control busy stressful indoor locked in day
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Ne: In thinking, intuition I is the extraction of information from the subconscious. The subconscious storehouse of information of a person is equal in volume to the outside world, therefore the intuition of possibilities is the most intellectual of the functions of thinking. In state I, a person falls below the features of consciousness and draws from the depths of his intellect answers to paradoxical questions, before which logic is powerless. Technologically intuitive thinking I is operations with visual images. The vague pictures, extracted from the subconscious, are synthesized into a complex complex, which, compacted, at some instant, is illuminated by a bright flash of light — an intuitive guess. In a person who thinks in the I-way, his eyes freeze at an average level, and the pupils dilate. The look becomes defocused.
    Red by others, bolded my own experience, green what the hell is wrong with me.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Being EIE and having strong F you "watch people and relationships" certainly.
    But care lesser about emotional comfort of people related to Fi, being idadequately rude and not delicate. Don't care much about good relations, being predisposed to making conflicts by rude barking without serious reasons. Tell a lot and redundant to random people, even provoking about yourself, what is not common for introverts. You more care to play Fe images and roles. Feel the need to catch the attention being E what leads you to make many useless threads, a common variant of which is "look what EII I am". You are demonstrative.

It's not easy to understand what your valued functions are. It's better to do by dichotomies and IR effects. If you'd used IR theory and did not rejected even typology basics, you'd understood the truth. But you don't care about the truth or interests of other people which you mislead. You just want to play roles and emotions which they give to you.
    Last edited by Sol; 09-08-2020 at 07:18 PM.

TIM
    RLOAI?
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I leave you a personal opinion.

Socionics determines processes by means of which we metabolize the information that our environment provides us, as well as the tools we use to generate information on our own.
    Human behavior is partially determined by our genetic inheritance and the experiences we have in life. What I am going with this is that the socionic points towards an internal structure and that behavior, tastes, personal tendencies, etc. are completely alien to the informational metabolism.

I'm going to go further. Through raw DNA data we can now decipher your sensitivity to odors, your tendency towards the consumption of different beverages or foods, your tendency to alcoholism, smoking or drug addiction, your agreeableness, your conscientiousness, your extraversion, your neuroticism, your openness, the degree to which you experience loneliness, your pain avoidance behavior, your fear of pain, your reward dependence, your level of resistance to instant gratification, your novelty seeking behavior, your tendency to take risks, your tendency anger, your tendency to depression, your response to social rejection, your romantic attitude, your aggressiveness, among billions of personal traits. I believe that a SEI with high levels of Monoamine oxidase A is going to be far more aggressive than an SLE with low levels of Monoamine oxidase A, and I believe this applies to all personality traits. As if that were not enough, nurture plays a vital role in the development of the personality, sometimes even canceling the genetic traits that someone may possess.

An example of this idea, imagine that you have an ESI who was born in a good family that overprotects him, which means that during his childhood he does not have contact with violence. The safest thing to guess is that when he grows up, if he meets someone who has had more contact with violence, he will be either easily beaten or terrified of the situation (in violent situations, human beings experience fear and adrenaline increases). If this ESI came to this forum and posted a questionnaire, all the users here, who seem to be staunch behavioralists, would tell him unequivocally that he is EII, because he is obviously "Se PolR".

If we follow this idea, then the intertype relationships theory correspond to the greater or less synergy in the exchange of information, and not to personal compatibility. Ultimately, you can be EII, and your husband can be LSE, and the two of you can have a terrible relationship, even if you are duals. Practically the majority of responses to my questionnaires have been that I am Beta NF (although I still do not trust it) and my partner's brother is LSE (my partner is the first girlfriend I had, and we have been together since I was fifteen), and although at the informative metabolism level according to him I am quite exhausting to him, we have a decent and normal family relationship. ITR isn't about how much you like someone.

The more you make socionics something about behavior, the more you contradict general scientific knowledge and the more you make socionics pseudoscientific. SLE's aren't necessarily violent, LIE's aren't necessarily exploitative, EIE's are not necessarily extraverted, IEI's are not necessarily lazy, and SLI's aren't necessarily into fixing the dishwasher.
    Last edited by RBRS; 09-08-2020 at 01:11 PM.

TIM
    INTj-Ne 5w4 Sp/Sx
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is the one I relate to most.

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...ay%20interests.

Anyway, interesting topic.

I will say the descriptions do sometimes seem biased in favor of whoever wrote it, but it's good to take multiple viewpoints into consideration. The more data at hand, the better a person can solidify their own system of theories and beliefs.
    @Frddy: Nice write-up. It's true you can't attribute all behavior to Socionics. Genetics, upbringing and many other factors play a key role. Otherwise, if every person was 100% like their type, everybody would be the same. Socionics is only cognition, the way our mind processes information. That's why it's best to use it as one tool in an arsenal if you want to analyze yourself or anyone else. Honestly, I just find psychology fun for finding trends in mannerisms. I'm not good at communicating with people, which is why it helps to look inward and improve myself, not to manipulate others or dismiss people because of their type, but to better communicate with them.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Lande View Post
    I will say the descriptions do sometimes seem biased in favor of whoever wrote it
    If to take description of functions (about what is the thread) - they are rather correct. So the distortion is rather more expected from people which mistyped themselves and are incompetent noobs than in those descriptions.

You've linked to type's description. In types desciptions you may find lesser of core theory, more of doubtful author's views and different heresies. Also types descriptions are supposed to be about average traits. Also which are given in exagrated degree so the difference between types was more clear. The more important is to description of which type you fit more than the degree in which you fit to that description. Anyway, there is not much to be "biased" in types descriptions and so distortions should be in the incompetent and mistaken opinions of readers. Most of which are incompetent noobs which often like to explain contradictions which they notice not by own doubtful knowledge and bad typing skills.

> It's true you can't attribute all behavior to Socionics.

Type is one of strong factors of a behavior which can be related to what functions dominate in the consciousness.
    The problem of mistakes in types significant too - can be >50% of wrong opinions about own types among those who think to have some of them and never checked it positively and thoroughly by IR. As average typing match is <20% by common today methods.

I'm not hungry mommy bear BrainlessSquid's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE-Fi
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this a self-typing thread?
    Sometimes you don't have motivation because you lack purpose.
    Sometimes you don't have purpose, because you lack self-knowledge
    Sometimes you don't have self-knowledge because you lack love
    Sometimes you don't have love because you lack self-love
    Sometimes you don't have self-love because you lack guess what? Ask Gulenko!!

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Megatrop View Post
    Is this a self-typing thread?

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Si - A subjective factor:
    It is an unconscious disposition, which alters [p. 499] the sense-perception at its very source, thus depriving it of the character of a purely objective influence. In this case, sensation is related primarily to the subject, and only secondarily to the object. How extraordinarily strong the subjective factor can be is shown most clearly in art. The ascendancy of the subjective factor occasionally achieves a complete suppression of the mere influence of the object; but none the less sensation remains sensation, although it has come to be a perception of the subjective factor, and the effect of the object has sunk to the level of a mere stimulant. Introverted sensation develops in accordance with this subjective direction.

Si goes deeper:
    A true sense-perception certainly exists, but it always looks as though objects were not so much forcing their way into the subject in their own right as that the subject were seeing things quite differently, or saw quite other things than the rest of mankind. As a matter of fact, the subject perceives the same things as everybody else, only, he never stops at the purely objective effect, but concerns himself with the subjective perception released by the objective stimulus.

How Si is experienced:
    The character of significance and meaning clings to subjective perception. It says more than the mere image of the object, though naturally only to him for whom the subjective factor has some meaning. To another, a reproduced subjective impression seems to suffer from the defect of possessing insufficient similarity with the object; it seems, therefore, to have failed in its purpose. Subjective sensation apprehends the background of the physical world rather than its surface. The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

Si is irregular to the objective stimulus:
    Whereas, the extraverted sensation-type is determined by the intensity of the objective influence, the introverted type is orientated by the intensity of the subjective sensation-constituent released by the objective stimulus. Obviously, therefore, no sort of proportional relation exists between object and sensation, but something that is apparently quite irregular and arbitrary judging from without,

His irrationality is concealed by the unrelatedness to objects
    it usually happens that the characteristic introverted difficulty of expression also conceals his irrationality. On the contrary, he may actually stand out by the very calmness and passivity of his demeanour, or by his rational self-control. This peculiarity, which often leads the superficial judgment astray, is really due to his unrelatedness to objects.

Seems to shield himself from any influence from objects:
    Considered from without, it looks as though the effect of the object [p. 502] did not obtrude itself upon the subject. This impression is so far correct inasmuch as a subjective content does, in fact, intervene from the unconscious, thus snatching away the effect of the object. This intervention may be so abrupt that the individual appears to shield himself directly from any possible influence of the object.

Influence from the object kept within necessary bonds:
    But, where the influence of the object does not entirely succeed, it encounters a benevolent neutrality, disclosing little sympathy, yet constantly striving to reassure and adjust. The too-low is raised a little, the too-high is made a little lower; the enthusiastic is damped, the [p. 503] extravagant restrained; and the unusual brought within the 'correct' formula: all this in order to keep the influence of the object within the necessary bounds. Thus, this type becomes an affliction to his circle, just in so far as his entire harmlessness is no longer above suspicion. But, if the latter should be the case, the individual readily becomes a victim to the aggressiveness and ambitions of others. Such men allow themselves to be abused, for which they usually take vengeance at the most unsuitable occasions with redoubled stubbornness and resistance.

No means of expression:
    this type has only archaic possibilities of expression for the disposal of his impressions; thought and feeling are relatively unconscious, and, in so far as they have a certain consciousness, they only serve in the necessary, banal, every-day expressions. Hence as conscious functions, they are wholly unfitted to give any adequate rendering of the subjective perceptions. This type, therefore, is uncommonly inaccessible to an objective understanding and he fares no better in the understanding of himself.

Lack of comparative judgement:

Above all, his development estranges him from the reality of the object, handing him over to his subjective perceptions, which orientate his consciousness in accordance with an archaic reality, although his deficiency in comparative judgment keeps him wholly unaware of this fact.

Example (Si vs Ni):
    Whereas introverted sensation is mainly confined to the perception of particular innervation phenomena by way of the unconscious, and does not go beyond them, intuition represses this side of the subjective factor and perceives the image which has really occasioned the innervation. Supposing, for instance, a man is overtaken by a psychogenic attack of giddiness. Sensation is arrested by the peculiar character of this innervationdisturbance, perceiving all its qualities, its intensity, its transient course, the nature of its origin and disappearance [p. 506] in their every detail, without raising the smallest inquiry concerning the nature of the thing which produced the disturbance, or advancing anything as to its content. Intuition, on the other hand, receives from the sensation only the impetus to immediate activity; it peers behind the scenes, quickly perceiving the inner image that gave rise to the specific phenomenon,
    Last edited by Tallmo; 09-09-2020 at 11:42 AM.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    INTj-Ne 5w4 Sp/Sx
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    If to take description of functions (about what is the thread) - they are rather correct. So the distortion is rather more expected from people which mistyped themselves and are incompetent noobs than in those descriptions.

You've linked to type's description. In types desciptions you may find lesser of core theory, more of doubtful author's views and different heresies. Also types descriptions are supposed to be about average traits. Also which are given in exagrated degree so the difference between types was more clear. The more important is to description of which type you fit more than the degree in which you fit to that description. Anyway, there is not much to be "biased" in types descriptions and so distortions should be in the incompetent and mistaken opinions of readers. Most of which are incompetent noobs which often like to explain contradictions which they notice not by own doubtful knowledge and bad typing skills.
    Ah, thanks for pointing that out about the article, though wouldn't you say it's problematic that a professional Socionist's description of a type cannot be taken as reliable? Just a thought, but I wouldn't want to derail this thread too much. I suppose the descriptions on these pages are more relevant? If not, you can link me to the proper descriptions.

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...ENTp-ISFp-ESFj
    https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...Grigory-Reinin

However, the problem I have with descriptions persists with these. By bias, I mean the types, whether descriptions or functions, are put in a way that comes off as more generalized observations of the type rather than something more definitive.

"He sees the world in black and white without shadows."
    "They may live highly structured or regimented lifestyles and can be quite proactive."

A lot of these might not fit everyone. "Oh, but it doesn't have to fit you exactly," you might say, but if the descriptions aren't concrete or undeniable in their truth, then this isn't scientific and therefore throwaway information that you can take or leave at your own leisure. The bias in question is that every article is trying to interpret a concept in their own way. The same goes for all the Socionics models. They might all follow the same idea, but they do it in different ways that muddies the waters, so to speak, and makes Socionics more obtuse than it needs to be. The concept needs a stronger binary of traits that can unquestionably apply to solely one type without adding irrelevant information that only serves to discredit the study. The fact that these articles need to exaggerate anything is a sign that these concepts need refinement. Which brings me to this.

"Most of which are incompetent noobs which often like to explain contradictions which they notice not by own doubtful knowledge and bad typing skills."

We can have a healthy debate without having to be condescending to newcomers, whether on this forum or to new Socionists in general. It is good to question a system, to pick out its faults. If we just accept everything as perfect, nothing would improve. Yes, we have experts who put years of their lives into studying Socionics, but the study is still developing. Even the best Socionists can only guess a type with a certain amount of accuracy, let alone going through online tests.

To improve the study, Socionics needs more empirical data and that can only be attained by introducing more people and by doing so, grant everyone a chance to learn and improve this system until all confusion and doubt is minimized. Having an elitist attitude will only serve to scare newcomers away and keep Socionics in obscurity as opposed to MBTI and the Big Five, and I'm sure you wouldn't want that. Finally.

"Type is one of strong factors of a behavior which can be related to what functions dominate in the consciousness.
    The problem of mistakes in types significant too - can be >50% of wrong opinions about own types among those who think to have some of them and never checked it positively and thoroughly by IR. As average typing match is <20% by common today methods."

I agree that cognitive functions play a role, but I think you grossly overestimate their importance. Genetics, upbringing and many other factors play a bigger role. An ESE raised in a poor community would be very different from one raised in a rich home. This isn't getting into different cultural standards. What Socionics describes is an ideal, a box closed off from other factors. You say the average typing match is low, but you can't fault people for not fitting an ideal. If the accuracy is that low, it's the system that needs to improve, not the people. Most of Socionics assumes one is a healthy individual, but doesn't psychology exist to help the unhealthy of mind, the people most difficult to type?

Point is, we're allowed to believe whatever we want to believe, but until Socionics can spell out its concepts in a manner digestible for the populace, without room for confusion, I and many others will continue to question the study until it reaches its true potential.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Socionics indeeds need a more thorough empirical scientific foundation. Problem is that as soon as it becomes more scientific, the average person, even the average person on this forum, will loose interest in the subject. Most people want things to be easy, clear cut and simple. And a one stop solution to their personal issues.

Those people who have taken the effort of at least trying to get a better theoretical understanding by relating socionics to e.g. understanding of mainstream social and behavioral sciences, end up with insights that are no longer transferable to the average person, not in the least because putting your insights onto paper will be a wasted investment.

I have several websites on various subjects where I also have Google Adsense ads. I think that with my maverick socionics blogs I haven't even accumulated one single dollar over all these years.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post

Si - A subjective factor:
    It is an unconscious disposition, which alters [p. 499] the sense-perception at its very source, thus depriving it of the character of a purely objective influence. In this case, sensation is related primarily to the subject, and only secondarily to the object. How extraordinarily strong the subjective factor can be is shown most clearly in art. The ascendancy of the subjective factor occasionally achieves a complete suppression of the mere influence of the object; but none the less sensation remains sensation, although it has come to be a perception of the subjective factor, and the effect of the object has sunk to the level of a mere stimulant. Introverted sensation develops in accordance with this subjective direction.

Si goes deeper:
    A true sense-perception certainly exists, but it always looks as though objects were not so much forcing their way into the subject in their own right as that the subject were seeing things quite differently, or saw quite other things than the rest of mankind. As a matter of fact, the subject perceives the same things as everybody else, only, he never stops at the purely objective effect, but concerns himself with the subjective perception released by the objective stimulus.

How Si is experienced:
    The character of significance and meaning clings to subjective perception. It says more than the mere image of the object, though naturally only to him for whom the subjective factor has some meaning. To another, a reproduced subjective impression seems to suffer from the defect of possessing insufficient similarity with the object; it seems, therefore, to have failed in its purpose. Subjective sensation apprehends the background of the physical world rather than its surface. The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

Si is irregular to the objective stimulus:
    Whereas, the extraverted sensation-type is determined by the intensity of the objective influence, the introverted type is orientated by the intensity of the subjective sensation-constituent released by the objective stimulus. Obviously, therefore, no sort of proportional relation exists between object and sensation, but something that is apparently quite irregular and arbitrary judging from without,

His irrationality is concealed by the unrelatedness to objects
    it usually happens that the characteristic introverted difficulty of expression also conceals his irrationality. On the contrary, he may actually stand out by the very calmness and passivity of his demeanour, or by his rational self-control. This peculiarity, which often leads the superficial judgment astray, is really due to his unrelatedness to objects.

Seems to shield himself from any influence from objects:
    Considered from without, it looks as though the effect of the object [p. 502] did not obtrude itself upon the subject. This impression is so far correct inasmuch as a subjective content does, in fact, intervene from the unconscious, thus snatching away the effect of the object. This intervention may be so abrupt that the individual appears to shield himself directly from any possible influence of the object.

Influence from the object kept within necessary bonds:
    But, where the influence of the object does not entirely succeed, it encounters a benevolent neutrality, disclosing little sympathy, yet constantly striving to reassure and adjust. The too-low is raised a little, the too-high is made a little lower; the enthusiastic is damped, the [p. 503] extravagant restrained; and the unusual brought within the 'correct' formula: all this in order to keep the influence of the object within the necessary bounds. Thus, this type becomes an affliction to his circle, just in so far as his entire harmlessness is no longer above suspicion. But, if the latter should be the case, the individual readily becomes a victim to the aggressiveness and ambitions of others. Such men allow themselves to be abused, for which they usually take vengeance at the most unsuitable occasions with redoubled stubbornness and resistance.

No means of expression:
    this type has only archaic possibilities of expression for the disposal of his impressions; thought and feeling are relatively unconscious, and, in so far as they have a certain consciousness, they only serve in the necessary, banal, every-day expressions. Hence as conscious functions, they are wholly unfitted to give any adequate rendering of the subjective perceptions. This type, therefore, is uncommonly inaccessible to an objective understanding and he fares no better in the understanding of himself.

Lack of comparative judgement:

Above all, his development estranges him from the reality of the object, handing him over to his subjective perceptions, which orientate his consciousness in accordance with an archaic reality, although his deficiency in comparative judgment keeps him wholly unaware of this fact.

Example (Si vs Ni):
    Whereas introverted sensation is mainly confined to the perception of particular innervation phenomena by way of the unconscious, and does not go beyond them, intuition represses this side of the subjective factor and perceives the image which has really occasioned the innervation. Supposing, for instance, a man is overtaken by a psychogenic attack of giddiness. Sensation is arrested by the peculiar character of this innervationdisturbance, perceiving all its qualities, its intensity, its transient course, the nature of its origin and disappearance [p. 506] in their every detail, without raising the smallest inquiry concerning the nature of the thing which produced the disturbance, or advancing anything as to its content. Intuition, on the other hand, receives from the sensation only the impetus to immediate activity; it peers behind the scenes, quickly perceiving the inner image that gave rise to the specific phenomenon,
    thank you for participating i was hoping an SE I would
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Socionics indeeds need a more thorough empirical scientific foundation. Problem is that as soon as it becomes more scientific, the average person, even the average person on this forum, will loose interest in the subject. Most people want things to be easy, clear cut and simple. And a one stop solution to their personal issues.

Those people who have taken the effort of at least trying to get a better theoretical understanding by relating socionics to e.g. understanding of mainstream social and behavioral sciences, end up with insights that are no longer transferable to the average person, not in the least because putting your insights onto paper will be a wasted investment.

I have several websites on various subjects where I also have Google Adsense ads. I think that with my maverick socionics blogs I haven't even accumulated one single dollar over all these years.
    it's good to see what people really relate to here
    -

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beautiful sky View Post
    it's good to see what people really relate to here
    elaborate...

TIM
    INTj-Ne 5w4 Sp/Sx
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to admit, it's a viewpoint I didn't consider and thank you for pointing it out. I just feel its a shame for something as interesting as Socionics to be known only to a certain few, though it can be a double-edged sword if it were ever to become mainstream. My thinking is that maybe if it could receive more recognition, it could become a standard for helping people better their relationships. There are plenty of fields dealing with such topics like marriage counseling or helping children cope in school.

Socionics could add another layer to that. Already, I can see how types affect relationships. If only it were more accurate, it could bring something new to the field of psychology for the masses, but maybe that is wishful thinking on my part.

Either way, my rant was in no way meant to enforce my ideals on anybody. Everybody has their own views and what I want would not be the best for everyone. I just wanted to give my opinion on the matter.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Lande View Post
    I have to admit, it's a viewpoint I didn't consider and thank you for pointing it out. I just feel its a shame for something as interesting as Socionics to be known only to a certain few, though it can be a double-edged sword if it were ever to become mainstream. My thinking is that maybe if it could receive more recognition, it could become a standard for helping people better their relationships. There are plenty of fields dealing with such topics like marriage counseling or helping children cope in school.

Socionics could add another layer to that. Already, I can see how types affect relationships. If only it were more accurate, it could bring something new to the field of psychology for the masses, but maybe that is wishful thinking on my part.

Either way, my rant was in no way meant to enforce my ideals on anybody. Everybody has their own views and what I want would not be the best for everyone. I just wanted to give my opinion on the matter.
    Actually, my post was not meant as criticism on yours in any way. In fact, there were quite a few good points in there.

I still think Socionics can be a very valuable theory, for anyone willing to invest time into researching it themselves. The lack of empirical scientific data doesn't make it easy, but for those inclined to anti-positivism (such as myself) there is a lot to learn and gain from investigating the theory, relating it to other sciences and observing reality to see if it indeed works out as they say it does. It takes a very long time, but imho opinion, in the end it pays off very well.

For those with a more positivist mind set Socionics probably can only go so far, and the aplications are limited.

TIM
    INTj-Ne 5w4 Sp/Sx
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, my post was not meant as criticism on yours in any way. In fact, there were quite a few good points in there.

I still think Socionics can be a very valuable theory, for anyone willing to invest time into researching it themselves. The lack of empirical scientific data doesn't make it easy, but for those inclined to anti-positivism (such as myself) there is a lot to learn and gain from investigating the theory, relating it to other sciences and observing reality to see if it indeed works out as they say it does. It takes a very long time, but imho opinion, in the end it pays off very well.

For those with a more positivist mind set Socionics probably can only go so far, and the aplications are limited.
    Ah, sorry if I misunderstood the intent of your post. Yes, I see what you mean in making Socionics more scientific, and don't worry, I didn't take your post as criticism. It just made me think of the difficulties in getting more people interested in Socionics, even if I might've gotten the wrong idea.

I agree Socionics has a lot to offer and part of the fun is developing one's own understanding of it from weighing it against other sources.

I wrote some other stuff but deleted it... so I can make room to just copy paste every sentence that fits me into one incoherent paragraph. I relate to other descriptions too but I'm too lazy to decide if they are better to analyze or not.

Filatova - firstly, things I most definitely don't relate to: joking about my suffering.. I really don't know how to joke about my suffering >> especially because I prefer to think optimistically rather than cynically. It says the IEI likes to appear weak, but for me that's more emotional weakness, not weakness of will. If I admit defeat I'd feel defeated.. and so I can't verbalize defeat in such a manner. I want to think that things will get better. It also says I don't participate in power contests which is actually untrue... I would participate if only to lose

Esenin can stop an instant because it "is wonderful", and admire it for as long as he desires. The IEI greatly values his time, especially if it was spent on pleasant experiences. The time spent insufficiently interestingly and pleasantly is not simply lost time, but, in his understanding, is a kind of irritating oversight which, as much as possible, should not be permitted. The IEI prefers to live by a flexible schedule that would allow him to manage his time conveniently and spontaneously. The IEI always has exactly as much time as he needs it. He does not set before himself goals that are too difficult and unrealistic. His day is not overloaded by matters. He always manages to arrive at the point which is necessary for him. He does not like to rigidly plan his day, to be "in captivity" of strict schedule or plans, neither immediate nor distant. To Esenin it is not compulsory to be punctual, especially if for him it is not necessary, however, if he desires so he will arrive in time. Esenin knows how to put time to his benefit. He knows when to wait out a tumultuous period in a "quiet harbor". Esenin frequently produces the impression of a person for whom success "walks right into his hands". Esenin's time always belongs only to him. Even the time he spends at work he considers to be his own: if he wants to - he works, if he wishes to - he becomes distracted at his private affairs and conversations. Esenin greatly values his time, even when he is sharing it with others, and considers it a generous gift for which one must be grateful. Esenin also knows how to listen, empathically looking into the eyes of his conversation partner – it would seem that he has never heard anything wiser in his lifetime! His dear, kind, modest smile is like a reflection of a ray of sun lighting up his face. Sometimes his smile is dreamy, sometimes sly, but always well-wishing, optimistic, and encouraging. Almost no one else knows how to mercilessly say harsh words and furiously quarrel, amplifying his emotional influence, as the IEI. The IEI knows how to burn someone by words as if by red hot metal, masterfully applying words enough for his partner to learn the lesson and draw the conclusions from his own errors and to try to as soon as possible correct them, in order not to repeat hence. Periodically the IEI can initiate conflicts – these are means for him to find out his own position in the system of relations. Despite his apparent absent-mindedness, he is sufficiently observant and with ease finds those who can tell him something interesting. By information gathering the IEI renders an especially valuable service to his dual the SLE, for whom "knowledge" is another form of strength and protection. Just as the SLE, the IEI considers that information is valuable and that learning and acquiring new knowledge is very beneficial. The IEI is very adept at collecting and reviewing information. With an innocent look the IEI can ask rather tactless questions (of type: "And who has helped you with getting accepted?"), and with this he is fully confident that he will receive a response. It is very difficult to hide anything from the IEI, but it is even more difficult to obtain from him information that he doesn't want to share, that has the potential of being harmful. The IEI experiences difficulty with tracing the full sequential course of logical reasoning – it is hard for a person of this type to grasp an expanded and extensive logical analysis in its entirety. The IEI much readily receives and understands short purposeful logical statements provided by his dual, the SLE, who is capable of explaining the most difficult concepts in the most simple and easily accessible terms, and of finding the most convincing arguments and putting them in such order that would make them convincing to another person. The IEI loves to discuss and think about detached and distant themes, but usually does not consider himself to be a "deep" philosopher: he does this "under the right mood" and for his own enjoyment and not for a thorough in depth study. Memorizing study material and figuring out logical concepts for the IEI is rather difficult. Attempt to give logical definition to his own words ... it's better not to ask him to do this. Delivering lectures on scientific and technical subjects are also not IEI's cup of tea. If Esenin needs to deliver a research report, read a lecture, or pass examination on theoretical and technical disciplines, he always tries to use humor to cover up for his helplessness. For the IEI it is difficult to be logically consistent, though he doesn't particularly strive for this. He can easily contradict himself however many times, while believing that he's reasoning in a sufficiently logical and astute manner. The IEI not only respects confident and goal-oriented people, but also admires them. He wants to be near them, to be "taken under their wing", to be needed and useful for them. He is always happy if he wins over their friendship and trust, and gladly accepts their patronage. The IEI has a talent for finding such people who could provide him with their support. He has a kind of natural tactic for selecting his supporters: there are those who are less effective but friendly to him, and those who are actually influential but whose positive predisposition he has not attained yet. Esenin does not like to befriend the "wimps" and the "hapless". He does not respect the "unlucky wretches" who don't know how to make useful contacts, who are not capable of standing up for themselves, who cannot "work with their elbows" pushing others aside and moving towards their goal. Esenin does not understand them at all. Sometimes, as a consequence of this trait of this type, the IEI falls under the influence of people who know how to magnificently bluff and create an illusion of power and influence, and who can in this manner hold the IEI "on a hook" while they use his help. Though the IEI tries to avoid this course of events, sometimes he falls into this trap when he mistakes the desired for the real. The IEI never boasts about his own strength. He won't be provoked or "taken on a dare" - he doesn't consider himself to be in the same "weight category", and doesn't view it as shameful to seem weak, because he knows how to use this weakness. He sees nothing terrible in looking poor and unprotected - otherwise, who would help him? Concerning money questions, perhaps the IEI produces the impression of someone impractical, but someone with a mind of his own, someone who won't ever go against his own benefit, and who is not easily hyped up to make some "unnecessary" in his view expenditure. Although Esenin usually considers himself to be of generous nature.

TIM
    LSI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Frddy View Post
    Through raw DNA data we can now decipher your sensitivity to odors, your tendency towards the consumption of different beverages or foods, your tendency to alcoholism, smoking or drug addiction, your agreeableness, your conscientiousness, your extraversion, your neuroticism, your openness, the degree to which you experience loneliness, your pain avoidance behavior, your fear of pain, your reward dependence, your level of resistance to instant gratification, your novelty seeking behavior, your tendency to take risks, your tendency anger, your tendency to depression, your response to social rejection, your romantic attitude, your aggressiveness, among billions of personal traits.
    Is there any way to get my DNA analyzed like this without sending it away to some corporation (like 23andme or whatever it is)?

I'd really like to know more about this stuff

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chiquichiquaquiles View Post
    I wrote some other stuff but deleted it... so I can make room to just copy paste every sentence that fits me into one incoherent paragraph. I relate to other descriptions too but I'm too lazy to decide if they are better to analyze or not.

Filatova - firstly, things I most definitely don't relate to: joking about my suffering.. I really don't know how to joke about my suffering >> especially because I prefer to think optimistically rather than cynically. It says the IEI likes to appear weak, but for me that's more emotional weakness, not weakness of will. If I admit defeat I'd feel defeated.. and so I can't verbalize defeat in such a manner. I want to think that things will get better. It also says I don't participate in power contests which is actually untrue... I would participate if only to lose

Esenin can stop an instant because it "is wonderful", and admire it for as long as he desires. The IEI greatly values his time, especially if it was spent on pleasant experiences. The time spent insufficiently interestingly and pleasantly is not simply lost time, but, in his understanding, is a kind of irritating oversight which, as much as possible, should not be permitted. The IEI prefers to live by a flexible schedule that would allow him to manage his time conveniently and spontaneously. The IEI always has exactly as much time as he needs it. He does not set before himself goals that are too difficult and unrealistic. His day is not overloaded by matters. He always manages to arrive at the point which is necessary for him. He does not like to rigidly plan his day, to be "in captivity" of strict schedule or plans, neither immediate nor distant. To Esenin it is not compulsory to be punctual, especially if for him it is not necessary, however, if he desires so he will arrive in time. Esenin knows how to put time to his benefit. He knows when to wait out a tumultuous period in a "quiet harbor". Esenin frequently produces the impression of a person for whom success "walks right into his hands". Esenin's time always belongs only to him. Even the time he spends at work he considers to be his own: if he wants to - he works, if he wishes to - he becomes distracted at his private affairs and conversations. Esenin greatly values his time, even when he is sharing it with others, and considers it a generous gift for which one must be grateful. Esenin also knows how to listen, empathically looking into the eyes of his conversation partner – it would seem that he has never heard anything wiser in his lifetime! His dear, kind, modest smile is like a reflection of a ray of sun lighting up his face. Sometimes his smile is dreamy, sometimes sly, but always well-wishing, optimistic, and encouraging. Almost no one else knows how to mercilessly say harsh words and furiously quarrel, amplifying his emotional influence, as the IEI. The IEI knows how to burn someone by words as if by red hot metal, masterfully applying words enough for his partner to learn the lesson and draw the conclusions from his own errors and to try to as soon as possible correct them, in order not to repeat hence. Periodically the IEI can initiate conflicts – these are means for him to find out his own position in the system of relations. Despite his apparent absent-mindedness, he is sufficiently observant and with ease finds those who can tell him something interesting. By information gathering the IEI renders an especially valuable service to his dual the SLE, for whom "knowledge" is another form of strength and protection. Just as the SLE, the IEI considers that information is valuable and that learning and acquiring new knowledge is very beneficial. The IEI is very adept at collecting and reviewing information. With an innocent look the IEI can ask rather tactless questions (of type: "And who has helped you with getting accepted?"), and with this he is fully confident that he will receive a response. It is very difficult to hide anything from the IEI, but it is even more difficult to obtain from him information that he doesn't want to share, that has the potential of being harmful. The IEI experiences difficulty with tracing the full sequential course of logical reasoning – it is hard for a person of this type to grasp an expanded and extensive logical analysis in its entirety. The IEI much readily receives and understands short purposeful logical statements provided by his dual, the SLE, who is capable of explaining the most difficult concepts in the most simple and easily accessible terms, and of finding the most convincing arguments and putting them in such order that would make them convincing to another person. The IEI loves to discuss and think about detached and distant themes, but usually does not consider himself to be a "deep" philosopher: he does this "under the right mood" and for his own enjoyment and not for a thorough in depth study. Memorizing study material and figuring out logical concepts for the IEI is rather difficult. Attempt to give logical definition to his own words ... it's better not to ask him to do this. Delivering lectures on scientific and technical subjects are also not IEI's cup of tea. If Esenin needs to deliver a research report, read a lecture, or pass examination on theoretical and technical disciplines, he always tries to use humor to cover up for his helplessness. For the IEI it is difficult to be logically consistent, though he doesn't particularly strive for this. He can easily contradict himself however many times, while believing that he's reasoning in a sufficiently logical and astute manner. The IEI not only respects confident and goal-oriented people, but also admires them. He wants to be near them, to be "taken under their wing", to be needed and useful for them. He is always happy if he wins over their friendship and trust, and gladly accepts their patronage. The IEI has a talent for finding such people who could provide him with their support. He has a kind of natural tactic for selecting his supporters: there are those who are less effective but friendly to him, and those who are actually influential but whose positive predisposition he has not attained yet. Esenin does not like to befriend the "wimps" and the "hapless". He does not respect the "unlucky wretches" who don't know how to make useful contacts, who are not capable of standing up for themselves, who cannot "work with their elbows" pushing others aside and moving towards their goal. Esenin does not understand them at all. Sometimes, as a consequence of this trait of this type, the IEI falls under the influence of people who know how to magnificently bluff and create an illusion of power and influence, and who can in this manner hold the IEI "on a hook" while they use his help. Though the IEI tries to avoid this course of events, sometimes he falls into this trap when he mistakes the desired for the real. The IEI never boasts about his own strength. He won't be provoked or "taken on a dare" - he doesn't consider himself to be in the same "weight category", and doesn't view it as shameful to seem weak, because he knows how to use this weakness. He sees nothing terrible in looking poor and unprotected - otherwise, who would help him? Concerning money questions, perhaps the IEI produces the impression of someone impractical, but someone with a mind of his own, someone who won't ever go against his own benefit, and who is not easily hyped up to make some "unnecessary" in his view expenditure. Although Esenin usually considers himself to be of generous nature.
    I considered that “knowledge “ part of your dual pair in typing @DEAD
    -

Your family thinks I'm a criminal
    TIM
    BAMF
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beautiful sky View Post
    I considered that “knowledge “ part of your dual pair in typing @DEAD
    By information gathering the IEI renders an especially valuable service to his dual the SLE, for whom "knowledge" is another form of strength and protection. Just as the SLE, the IEI considers that information is valuable and that learning and acquiring new knowledge is very beneficial. The IEI is very adept at collecting and reviewing information. With an innocent look the IEI can ask rather tactless questions (of type: "And who has helped you with getting accepted?"), and with this he is fully confident that he will receive a response.
    Is this why people think I'm Ne-Fi-Te (IEE)? "You like knowledge and don't mog everyone you see." You're a nerd and random, teehee. I'm really considering not being IEE.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DEAD View Post
    Is this why people think I'm Ne-Fi-Te (IEE)? "You like knowledge and don't mog everyone you see." You're a nerd and random, teehee. I'm really considering not being IEE.
    Idk why others see you that way as other’s motives and motivations are not clear to me as an INFJ

I have the tendency to see the good in others and the good in their intentions so I’m not great at estimating motives
    -

TIM
    RLOAI?
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oath of solitude View Post
    Is there any way to get my DNA analyzed like this without sending it away to some corporation (like 23andme or whatever it is)?

I'd really like to know more about this stuff
    Do it in a normal DNA company, then download the Raw DNA Data, then erase your account and DNA file, and then upload it to some company that has those kind of reports. If this new company shares your information, then upload, do screenshots of the traits, save those screenshots and erase your DNA file again.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generally, the more detailed a type description gets, the less accurately it portrays me. Writers of type profiles like to place traits together that don't, in fact, necessarily go together. I don't know what I'm really looking for in a type description, but I do know that I haven't seen it yet.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The descirption of Si I posted earlier is Jung's. It is really good.

I am reading M-L von Franz's description of Si. ("Lectures on Jung's typology") She doesn't really say that much, so I am a little disappointed. I think she simply didn't understand Si as well as Jung did. But she writes this:

Outwardly, the introverted sensation type looks utterly stupid. He just sits and stares and you do not know what is going on within him. He looks like a piece of wood with no reaction at all. Unless he reacts with one of the auxiliary functions - thinking or feeling. But inwardly the impression is being absorbed.
    He gives the impression of being very slow, which is not actually the case. It is just that the quick inner reactions go on underneath, and the outer reaction comes in a delayed way.
    I have sometimes been surprised when I look at myself in video, because I see myself without the inner sensations that I normally feel and that are a part of my world so to speak. From without I just seem numb and introverted. Like, who is this guy really? Von Franz illustrates this in the quote.

It's nice that she knows this. Helps me to accept myself better, because normally it is really hard for me to be aware of my own constitution. I drown in my own sensations.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    The descirption of Si I posted earlier is Jung's. It is really good.

I am reading M-L von Franz's description of Si. ("Lectures on Jung's typology") She doesn't really say that much, so I am a little disappointed. I think she simply didn't understand Si as well as Jung did. But she writes this:

I have sometimes been surprised when I look at myself in video, because I see myself without the inner sensations that I normally feel and that are a part of my world so to speak. From without I just seem numb and introverted. Like, who is this guy really? Von Franz illustrates this in the quote.

It's nice that she knows this. Helps me to accept myself better, because normally it is really hard for me to be aware of my own constitution. I drown in my own sensations.
    My SEI nephew is actually a genius but yes outwardly very non reactive lol
    -

TIM
    POOP™
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I strongly relate to fleecing it out and Dinkin' Flicka. So pretty much all the Ni and Ti descriptions.

TIM
    IEI-Fe(C)
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strat's IEI description <3
    I probably had 20 separate !!!! moments on reading that for the first time