Thread: Do you organize what you read?

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do you organize what you read?

I have a problem of buying or downloading anything that seems interesting that I end up reading randomly. Lots of it just sits on my shelf or hard drive only to get rediscovered months later.

Do you read in a more organized or methodical way? Do you make reading lists?

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't, reading for pleasure shouldn't be something you feel forced to do on a schedule, you should just read shit you actually want to read, even if it comes and goes or you never finish 40% of what you start.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about for non-fiction stuff—do y'all have a method?

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there's no organization in my life whatsoever so no

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't but I need a method. There are lots of stuff I want to read, but it is not all that fun. So I also need to force myself to read.

Best way is probably to decide on one book and then read it and stick with it until it's finished.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a goodreads list but I forget about the books on it most of the time. Basically I’m going for what I’m in the mood for. If I’m looking for a book I’ll usually find my favorite reviewers on goodreads and look at books they’ve reviewed lately, or if I’m in the mood for a particular genre I’ll google something like best books to read around October, best books in horror 2020. Then I’ll look online on my Library website and if they don’t have it I’ll see if they can put on a hold from another library. If they don’t and I really want to read it, I’ll download the ebook from amazon. I only buy classics or books I really really like anymore. I don’t see the point in buying something I’m going to probably only read once, and if I do like it enough, I’ll buy it. I also have Libby on my phone and can rent audiobooks and ebooks from my library off that, been doing that a lot lately. But I don’t spontaneously pick up books to buy anymore, used to more when I was younger. I rarely don’t finish books I start, it drives me nuts lol even if I don’t like it
    Last edited by Aster; 09-19-2020 at 07:27 PM.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Restricted user
    TIM
    SLI-Si 6w5 613 sp/so
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't organize. I'm reading over 20 books simultaneously because who has time to finish one book before starting another one? Not me. New book a week is how I roll. Sometimes takes me years to finish a small 200 page book just because it gets so neglected from the immense volume of ongoing readings I'm doing.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Often for nonfiction books I read the quotes page for the book and see if I'm actually interested in reading more.

Starting with books by authors I especially love is usually a good place.

If I don't find a book especially interesting immediately, then I usually move on to something else.

Often I try reading the most recently published books first.

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

no i read stuff when i feel like it