Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 42

Thread: Some numbers about finding a dual

  1. #1
    ethical-result-oriented-objective-irrational Megatrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Brazil
    TIM
    Fi-IEE 4w5/6w7 Sx/So
    Posts
    379
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Some numbers about finding a dual

    If I did some calculation wrong, please tell me. But this is what I have found:

    Lets say your dual represents 1/250 of the population. Then the likelihood of you finding a dual in a random meeting with a single person is 0.05. If you want to find one with at least 99% likelihood then:

    the probability of not finding a dual in a single meeting = 0.995

    now the probability of (not finding a dual after n meetings) = (0.995)^n, n = 0, 1, 2, ...

    We want the probability of finding one to be at least 99%, then 1 - (0.995)^n > 0.99

    Then n > log(0.01)[base 0.995] = 919.

    This means you need to talk to 919 people to have at least 99% of likelihood of finding an ordinary dual. Which is more realistic than expecting to talk to 250 people to find one.

    -----

    Now, Lets say your dual represents 1/16 of the population.

    then n > log(0.01)[base 15/16] = 73. Which means you only need to talk to 73 people to have at least 99% of likelihood of meeting an ordinary dual. Which is more realistic than talking to 16 people and hoping to find one.

    It means that if your dual is more likely to be found than average, you need to talk to less than 73 people to have at least 99% of likelihood of meeting him/her.


    Notes:

    -these numbers work like a worst case scenario, because you could, for example, have the luck of finding 2, 3, 4 duals among those people. But you are 99% sure of finding at least one.
    -for a type of 10%, you would still need to meet 44 people, because you kinda want to make SURE (or be 99% sure) of finding at least one.
    -finding a dual is not the same as noticing them. so I'd suggest changing "meeting" to "getting to know" for better results
    -noticing them is not the same as liking them. in this case, there's not much math can do about it, at this level of simplicity at least.
    Last edited by Megatrop; 08-25-2020 at 01:53 PM.
    I like to teach others, even though I consider myself to be the most ignorant person alive.
    So if I impose my opinions on you, don't take them as arrogance. It's just that I have a strong willingness to share knowledge.

    The more we focus on something, the clearer it gets, but all the rest of the universe gets blurrier. This applies to our thoughts, emotions, feelings, senses, etc. A great part of living can be summarized as the development of the ability to switch our attention to different aspects of our reality in order to achieve that which we want to see as a completely new kind of reality.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    12,178
    Mentioned
    1115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Megatrop View Post
    Lets say your dual represents 1/250 of the population.
    ~1/16 , most possibly
    in general group of people alike: women + close age + close IQ
    in general public places. in places relating to interests and skills common for types - there can be higher or lower chance

    The more problem is not to notice duals (we exclude here that you'd need to identify the types), but to choose a human which fits good to be your _friend_ , not just sexually attractive and decent in social sense. And then to do a life-long work to allow deep feelings in you to that "good for you" human, to inspire feelings in him, that you both cared about thoughts, feelings, interests of each other so both felt good together in pair, alike you'd joined your minds and life as equals parts of one. Generally, people choose without serious taking into account of friendship abbility and don't make serious efforts to get personally close relations in pairs. So even when people have a dual near and notice he is personally pleasant and also notice a girl with more attractive body - they often prefer 2nd, and this approach is harder to lead to _long_ good relations, it leads to more emotionally not good pairs which break with more chance. There are a lot such pairs and most seems pass through several of them during the life - because of the said above approach.

    Duality is only _one of_ important factors for good relations and love. Just to make a pair with a dual and then do what happens in average in pairs is doubtful way to get good pair. People have no good friendship and love in pairs, in common. With a dual (and good IR) do get this is significantly easier, but will not happen without significant efforts. Also you may achieve more than in worse IR as there are limits for your abbilities.

    2nd problem is that you need a luck to get a dual near you, who see near for significant time: live, study, work near. So there was a time to understand the human better as a person and to get feelings. For example, I do not remember that had duality woman of near age near me; but noticed semiduality and activation, what is relatively good too, but not duality. 1/16 is not so much, taking this situation. Dating/meeting/social network sites should reduce this problem in the future, where people say status as "open for new relations" and share own videos, not only a couple of photos, - this is better to understand personal traits, relating to friendship possibility. Since mid of 2000s Internet and common devices allow this technically, but people post different info, hundres of photos and no videos, at least with good seen faces for significant time. The culture needs a time to absorb new technology, - photos exist for long and people have adopted to show this.
    Types examples: video bloggers, actors

  3. #3
    cactagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Logic and probability have nothing to do with being a loser. This was literally lol worthy. Use Socionics to determine where your dual will most likely hang out. Se in your vital track? Join a sport/gym. Fe in vital? Go to a social gathering. Te? Go to H&R block and hit on the taxes person. As Jung would implore, too much of any 1 element is bad.

  4. #4
    ethical-result-oriented-objective-irrational Megatrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Brazil
    TIM
    Fi-IEE 4w5/6w7 Sx/So
    Posts
    379
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cactagon View Post
    Logic and probability have nothing to do with being a loser. This was literally lol worthy. Use Socionics to determine where your dual will most likely hang out. Se in your vital track? Join a sport/gym. Fe in vital? Go to a social gathering. Te? Go to H&R block and hit on the taxes person. As Jung would implore, too much of any 1 element is bad.
    I mean, the math is the same, just the distribution would change, and the number of people you would need to talk to would fall drastically. So I agree with your point.
    I also dont know what do you mean by "being a loser", if you could explain I would appreciate.
    I like to teach others, even though I consider myself to be the most ignorant person alive.
    So if I impose my opinions on you, don't take them as arrogance. It's just that I have a strong willingness to share knowledge.

    The more we focus on something, the clearer it gets, but all the rest of the universe gets blurrier. This applies to our thoughts, emotions, feelings, senses, etc. A great part of living can be summarized as the development of the ability to switch our attention to different aspects of our reality in order to achieve that which we want to see as a completely new kind of reality.

  5. #5
    cactagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The Cambridge English dictionary defines a loser as "a person or company that is at a disadvantage because of their particular situation," and in this instance, it would be the author's failure to understand that rather than using logic to compute a probability on finding their dual human, they should take action and go outside. The "numbers about finding a dual," don't tell you that the math is indeterminable since human behavior is unpredictable. I literally copulate with my dual ALL the time. I don't need to meet 900 or 250 people. It's very easy when you put the book on mechanics away, and embrace organic relations is what I was trying to say but came off a lil terse cuz its like dude cmon
    Last edited by cactagon; 08-26-2020 at 10:25 PM. Reason: put not but

  6. #6
    peteronfireee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    TIM
    LSI
    Posts
    1,134
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    --make a google ads for ur dual

    --gather all ur duals on an isolated island

    --have them fight to the death

    --winner gets all
    "I like to provoke people because it makes them think"

  7. #7
    ethical-result-oriented-objective-irrational Megatrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Brazil
    TIM
    Fi-IEE 4w5/6w7 Sx/So
    Posts
    379
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cactagon View Post
    The Cambridge English dictionary defines a loser as "a person or company that is at a disadvantage because of their particular situation," and in this instance, it would be the author's failure to understand that rather than using logic to compute a probability on finding their dual human, they should take action and go outside. The "numbers about finding a dual," don't tell you that the math is indeterminable since human behavior is unpredictable. I literally copulate with my dual ALL the time. I don't need to meet 900 or 250 people. It's very easy when you put the book on mechanics away, and embrace organic relations is what I was trying to say but came off a lil terse cuz its like dude cmon
    I don't see much substance in your post. You're implying I'm at disadvantage even when you know nothing about me. LOL

    Who told you I haven't found duals IRL?
    Who told you I'm not taking action?

    Also
    It's just a simple math. I mean, this logic is pretty simple and it took me less than a minute to get to these results. I didn't do anyone any harm. Rather you should learn to interpret numbers and see beyond what these simple numbers are telling, which you probably can't because you are too worried about teaching others. Alright go have fun, and don't waste time trying to teach losers LOL . I mean, do you really care about me?

    Have a nice day, stranger.
    Last edited by Megatrop; 08-27-2020 at 12:29 AM.
    I like to teach others, even though I consider myself to be the most ignorant person alive.
    So if I impose my opinions on you, don't take them as arrogance. It's just that I have a strong willingness to share knowledge.

    The more we focus on something, the clearer it gets, but all the rest of the universe gets blurrier. This applies to our thoughts, emotions, feelings, senses, etc. A great part of living can be summarized as the development of the ability to switch our attention to different aspects of our reality in order to achieve that which we want to see as a completely new kind of reality.

  8. #8
    ethical-result-oriented-objective-irrational Megatrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Brazil
    TIM
    Fi-IEE 4w5/6w7 Sx/So
    Posts
    379
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onfireee View Post
    --make a google ads for ur dual

    --gather all ur duals on an isolated island

    --have them fight to the death

    --winner gets all
    nah, I'm not so important. And there are others like me who could take benefit of the duals too.
    I like to teach others, even though I consider myself to be the most ignorant person alive.
    So if I impose my opinions on you, don't take them as arrogance. It's just that I have a strong willingness to share knowledge.

    The more we focus on something, the clearer it gets, but all the rest of the universe gets blurrier. This applies to our thoughts, emotions, feelings, senses, etc. A great part of living can be summarized as the development of the ability to switch our attention to different aspects of our reality in order to achieve that which we want to see as a completely new kind of reality.

  9. #9
    cactagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't need to "know" you to understand that your overuse of logic is what creates your disadvantage in finding your dual. No element is greater than another. I never stated what your questions are asking me. It's funny that you write "you should learn to interpret numbers and see beyond what these simple numbers are telling," since my point in commenting was to help you understand computing a probability of finding your dual isn't as easy as you think it is, despite all your awesomely perfect logic. Do I care about you? Inasmuch as you're another human being, for sure. Add to your presumed human quality your knowledge of typology and your presence here on this forum (this abstract tangible connection we share) of course I do! I love everyone, until I get to "know" them. Then a bifurcation occurs: to love or not to love?

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    TIM
    LSI
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    why did you start with 1/250?

  11. #11
    f.k.a Oprah sbbds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    TIM
    SLE
    Posts
    4,486
    Mentioned
    315 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    In spite of how typology sez INFx males are supposed to be rare unicorns who stay at home and huff bath salts, I don’t think I meet theoretically dateable male duals that infrequently. I can think of 10 or so just off the top of my head, who I’ve met irl throughout my life. I’m only 26 so that’s not too bad; one IEI a year from mid-teens on average to focus on if I actually wanted to lol. I’ve met many more than that but they were gay, taken, outside age range, or otherwise undateable/repulsive. I’m sure if I actually put effort into targeting IEIs through dating apps or whatnot I could increase that number as well.

    Finding someone who you really like and get along with is supposed to be hard and difficult and rare though. If it weren’t, it wouldn’t be worth it. That’s how our brains attach value to things, unless you are crazy.

  12. #12
    "Xiong Mao"
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    A mystery
    TIM
    LII - Ne
    Posts
    424
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm like extra heavy on the Ti and even I'm saying these numbers mean nothing. I have to agree with @cactagon here. It's a misuse of statistics (even this can be argued to be statistics.) Increasing your odds might be useful for gambling. But human interactions involve so many more variables than the ones in a casino. Millions of things form impressions on your mind on a regular basis and a large number of our actions on a daily basis are beyond our control.

    And what are you saying here, that if you meet 1000s of people, one of them will be your dual. Yes, that's obvious. What's the point of this statistics anyway?

    I've said this before. Manufacturing authentic, real attraction is not possible, not even with socionics. My advice would be to give non duals a chance as well, because who knows. You can easily waste years of your life looking for a magical unicorn that doesn't exist. Misuse of socionics can create a false image of a non existent person in your mind. Imo, just forget about it. If Socionics is right about ITRs, then you will naturally find your dual if you just follow your attractions. Going out, looking for something where you only have text descriptions in your mind of some poorly translated Russian articles taken out of their historical and cultural context is bound to lead you to failure.

    The whole point of Socionics is to put in objective terms things that are subjective like personality and attraction. If you subjective-ize it further, you're defeating the whole point. The socion doesn't lie, so you will find your dual if you're being authentic about your own expression of personality. There's no point in trying to manufacture the odds. It will not work

  13. #13
    ethical-result-oriented-objective-irrational Megatrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Brazil
    TIM
    Fi-IEE 4w5/6w7 Sx/So
    Posts
    379
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sbbds View Post
    In spite of how typology sez INFx males are supposed to be rare unicorns who stay at home and huff bath salts, I don’t think I meet theoretically dateable male duals that infrequently. I can think of 10 or so just off the top of my head, who I’ve met irl throughout my life. I’m only 26 so that’s not too bad; one IEI a year from mid-teens on average to focus on if I actually wanted to lol. I’ve met many more than that but they were gay, taken, outside age range, or otherwise undateable/repulsive. I’m sure if I actually put effort into targeting IEIs through dating apps or whatnot I could increase that number as well.

    Finding someone who you really like and get along with is supposed to be hard and difficult and rare though. If it weren’t, it wouldn’t be worth it. That’s how our brains attach value to things, unless you are crazy.
    Two things:
    -IEI aren't as rare as one might think (1/250 is very unrealistic, but I chose it because I like to be pessimistic)
    -These numbers are about likelihood. It means that you can be 99% sure of finding at least one. I mean, it works for 99% of people that they find at least one given certain distribution
    -IEI are indeed rare, but you somehow were able to increase that likelihood by going to places where they're more likely to be present, thus increasing the distribution among the "population"
    I like to teach others, even though I consider myself to be the most ignorant person alive.
    So if I impose my opinions on you, don't take them as arrogance. It's just that I have a strong willingness to share knowledge.

    The more we focus on something, the clearer it gets, but all the rest of the universe gets blurrier. This applies to our thoughts, emotions, feelings, senses, etc. A great part of living can be summarized as the development of the ability to switch our attention to different aspects of our reality in order to achieve that which we want to see as a completely new kind of reality.

  14. #14
    ethical-result-oriented-objective-irrational Megatrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Brazil
    TIM
    Fi-IEE 4w5/6w7 Sx/So
    Posts
    379
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oath of solitude View Post
    why did you start with 1/250?
    I was assuming there can be places where a certain type may be extremely rare
    I like to teach others, even though I consider myself to be the most ignorant person alive.
    So if I impose my opinions on you, don't take them as arrogance. It's just that I have a strong willingness to share knowledge.

    The more we focus on something, the clearer it gets, but all the rest of the universe gets blurrier. This applies to our thoughts, emotions, feelings, senses, etc. A great part of living can be summarized as the development of the ability to switch our attention to different aspects of our reality in order to achieve that which we want to see as a completely new kind of reality.

  15. #15
    Adam Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Posts
    8,811
    Mentioned
    965 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Megatrop View Post
    I was assuming there can be places where a certain type may be extremely rare
    Yeah. Well, you are right. ESI’s in my bed are extremely rare.

  16. #16
    ethical-result-oriented-objective-irrational Megatrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Brazil
    TIM
    Fi-IEE 4w5/6w7 Sx/So
    Posts
    379
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Panda View Post
    I'm like extra heavy on the Ti and even I'm saying these numbers mean nothing. I have to agree with @cactagon here. It's a misuse of statistics (even this can be argued to be statistics.) Increasing your odds might be useful for gambling. But human interactions involve so many more variables than the ones in a casino. Millions of things form impressions on your mind on a regular basis and a large number of our actions on a daily basis are beyond our control.

    And what are you saying here, that if you meet 1000s of people, one of them will be your dual. Yes, that's obvious. What's the point of this statistics anyway?

    I've said this before. Manufacturing authentic, real attraction is not possible, not even with socionics. My advice would be to give non duals a chance as well, because who knows. You can easily waste years of your life looking for a magical unicorn that doesn't exist. Misuse of socionics can create a false image of a non existent person in your mind. Imo, just forget about it. If Socionics is right about ITRs, then you will naturally find your dual if you just follow your attractions. Going out, looking for something where you only have text descriptions in your mind of some poorly translated Russian articles taken out of their historical and cultural context is bound to lead you to failure.

    The whole point of Socionics is to put in objective terms things that are subjective like personality and attraction. If you subjective-ize it further, you're defeating the whole point. The socion doesn't lie, so you will find your dual if you're being authentic about your own expression of personality. There's no point in trying to manufacture the odds. It will not work
    -You said meeting 1000 is obvious. What about 73 people, is it obvious?
    -I have noticed that people are really misinterpreting these numbers. You can meet a dual at any circumstance and the odds are not going to change that. What I mean is about certainty, since there's so much uncertainty in this world, I'm giving some sort of "mathematical absoluteness" If I can call it that way
    -You don't really need to know anything about Socionics to experience this. 99% of people will fall in love before age of 21, that's the same idea here.
    -These numbers are important if you are the kind of person who likes to invite someone home (friends of friends, coworkers, coworkers friends) in order to find someone compatible.

    btw, I've already heard all this stuff you guys are arguing before, and I totally agree. I can totally see your guys point. I'm not blindly looking for duals either
    I like to teach others, even though I consider myself to be the most ignorant person alive.
    So if I impose my opinions on you, don't take them as arrogance. It's just that I have a strong willingness to share knowledge.

    The more we focus on something, the clearer it gets, but all the rest of the universe gets blurrier. This applies to our thoughts, emotions, feelings, senses, etc. A great part of living can be summarized as the development of the ability to switch our attention to different aspects of our reality in order to achieve that which we want to see as a completely new kind of reality.

  17. #17
    f.k.a Oprah sbbds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    TIM
    SLE
    Posts
    4,486
    Mentioned
    315 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Megatrop View Post
    I'm giving some sort of "mathematical absoluteness"
    Quote Originally Posted by Megatrop View Post
    Two things:
    -IEI aren't as rare as one might think (1/250 is very unrealistic, but I chose it because I like to be pessimistic)
    -These numbers are about likelihood. It means that you can be 99% sure of finding at least one. I mean, it works for 99% of people that they find at least one given certain distribution
    -IEI are indeed rare, but you somehow were able to increase that likelihood by going to places where they're more likely to be present, thus increasing the distribution among the "population"
    Why are you talking about mathematical absoluteness, then in the above post you put THREE things on a list of “TWO things”?....

  18. #18
    Adam Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Posts
    8,811
    Mentioned
    965 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sbbds View Post
    Why are you talking about mathematical absoluteness, then in the above post you put THREE things on a list of “TWO things”?....
    Perfect.

  19. #19
    ethical-result-oriented-objective-irrational Megatrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Brazil
    TIM
    Fi-IEE 4w5/6w7 Sx/So
    Posts
    379
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sbbds View Post
    Why are you talking about mathematical absoluteness, then in the above post you put THREE things on a list of “TWO things”?....
    I started with 2 ideas, then in the middle of writing I had another thought but I didn't remember I had written "2 things" so...
    The mathematical absoluteness means just that it's not relative, and doesnt' depend on peoples opinion.

    It's like saying that if you meet 17 people, at least 2 of them will have the same type. No matter the circumstances, nor your personal opinion.
    I like to teach others, even though I consider myself to be the most ignorant person alive.
    So if I impose my opinions on you, don't take them as arrogance. It's just that I have a strong willingness to share knowledge.

    The more we focus on something, the clearer it gets, but all the rest of the universe gets blurrier. This applies to our thoughts, emotions, feelings, senses, etc. A great part of living can be summarized as the development of the ability to switch our attention to different aspects of our reality in order to achieve that which we want to see as a completely new kind of reality.

  20. #20
    Adam Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Posts
    8,811
    Mentioned
    965 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Megatrop View Post
    I started with 2 ideas, then in the middle of writing I had another thought but I didn't remember I had written "2 things" so...
    The mathematical absoluteness means just that it's not relative, and doesnt' depend on peoples opinion.

    It's like saying that if you meet 17 people, at least 2 of them will have the same type. No matter the circumstances, nor your personal opinion.
    I commented that @sbbds's reply was "perfect" because it was a 4D Se person, 3D Ti creatively noticing a Ti flaw in a statement.

    I wasn't being critical. This thread is good.
    ,

  21. #21
    Rebelondeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,521
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    People who are looking for N-types will have a lower probabilities and to a lesser extent, T-types aren't as common as F-types so relative success becomes somewhat obvious although not as accurate as 0.995. The chances of running into a compatible dual is even more remote because personal baggage can be way harder to tolerate. It's a little easier to find people where both can tolerate each other's baggage but even that would be far from a slam dunk. Rather than use type as a search engine, use it as a tool to understand one's partner because type dissonance is often minor when compared to other potential problems.

    a.k.a. I/O

  22. #22
    f.k.a Oprah sbbds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    TIM
    SLE
    Posts
    4,486
    Mentioned
    315 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Megatrop View Post
    I started with 2 ideas, then in the middle of writing I had another thought but I didn't remember I had written "2 things" so...
    The mathematical absoluteness means just that it's not relative, and doesnt' depend on peoples opinion.

    It's like saying that if you meet 17 people, at least 2 of them will have the same type. No matter the circumstances, nor your personal opinion.
    Still though, why do you care about being absolute when like others said, 1/250 seems arbitrary?

  23. #23
    ethical-result-oriented-objective-irrational Megatrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Brazil
    TIM
    Fi-IEE 4w5/6w7 Sx/So
    Posts
    379
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sbbds View Post
    Still though, why do you care about being absolute when like others said, 1/250 seems arbitrary?
    1/250 works like a threshold. By assuming this value I can get to a threshold of how many people you need to come into contact to be 99% sure of meeting bla bla bla

    Once you know the most accurate distribution of types you can get to a better understanding of the environment. But for instance, I'm only in the mathematical realm, where it's not really necessary to know the actual distributions, given that they are reasonable.

    Notice that a type with 1/16 occurrence is still not very common, and you get to the idealistic number 73. This is gold really
    I like to teach others, even though I consider myself to be the most ignorant person alive.
    So if I impose my opinions on you, don't take them as arrogance. It's just that I have a strong willingness to share knowledge.

    The more we focus on something, the clearer it gets, but all the rest of the universe gets blurrier. This applies to our thoughts, emotions, feelings, senses, etc. A great part of living can be summarized as the development of the ability to switch our attention to different aspects of our reality in order to achieve that which we want to see as a completely new kind of reality.

  24. #24
    a two horned unicorn renegade Homicidal Maniac 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    tickling your PoLR
    TIM
    ILE-H LEVF 7 so/sx
    Posts
    5,652
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sbbds View Post
    In spite of how typology sez INFx males are supposed to be rare unicorns who stay at home and huff bath salts.
    I saw one today because I was dragged with them. People were whispering to each other "He is gay, isn't he?" He actually had a job where he could be flamboyantly IEI and talk about aristocrats in history while sucking their lollipops in unicorn land. I think you should go to a place where some important people had servants and it is a museum nowadays. Lots of potential beta NFs in those places.
    Measuring you right now

    Winning is for losers

     

    Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

    Your life is too short to actually do anything useful with it without being wasteful.

  25. #25
    Adam Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Posts
    8,811
    Mentioned
    965 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CoViD Spurdo 007 View Post
    I saw one today because I was dragged with them. People were whispering to each other "He is gay, isn't he?" He actually had a job where he could be flamboyantly IEI and talk about aristocrats in history while sucking their lollipops in unicorn land. I think you should go to a place where some important people had servants and it is a museum nowadays. Lots of potential beta NFs in those places.
    Quoted for posterity.

  26. #26
    "Xiong Mao"
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    A mystery
    TIM
    LII - Ne
    Posts
    424
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Megatrop View Post
    -You said meeting 1000 is obvious. What about 73 people, is it obvious?
    -I have noticed that people are really misinterpreting these numbers. You can meet a dual at any circumstance and the odds are not going to change that. What I mean is about certainty, since there's so much uncertainty in this world, I'm giving some sort of "mathematical absoluteness" If I can call it that way
    -You don't really need to know anything about Socionics to experience this. 99% of people will fall in love before age of 21, that's the same idea here.
    -These numbers are important if you are the kind of person who likes to invite someone home (friends of friends, coworkers, coworkers friends) in order to find someone compatible.

    btw, I've already heard all this stuff you guys are arguing before, and I totally agree. I can totally see your guys point. I'm not blindly looking for duals either
    Does not compute. Can someone help @sbbds do you understand this? I mean, mathematics itself is Ti, but even with my STEM degree and working in a math heavy field, i still don't understand your use of statistics in this way.

    If I have to guess at what you're getting at:

    1) stats don't apply to individuals. Just because a coin toss gives you 50% chance of getting a head, it doesn't mean you will absolutely get heads half the time. Worst case scenario, you could toss a coin 1000 times and still get a 1000 tails.

    2) mathematical absoluteness is impossible when it comes to stats.

    3) i don't see what 99% of people falling in love has to do with anything.

    4) HOW is something like this helping you? How has this helped you or anyone else in the search for love? What do you do with this info? Do you type every person you meet to determine the frequency of occurrence of your dual? Do you just mass email socionics tests to all your tinder matches? Do you just scan your local bar looking for available women and sociotype them all in your head and be like, "that one there looks like an ESI."

    So let's say that one in 73 people i meet is an ESE. What then? How does this help me? Howwwwwww

    Help me here dude, I don't understand. I'm spending too much time thinking about this.

  27. #27
    ethical-result-oriented-objective-irrational Megatrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Brazil
    TIM
    Fi-IEE 4w5/6w7 Sx/So
    Posts
    379
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Panda View Post
    Does not compute. Can someone help @sbbds do you understand this? I mean, mathematics itself is Ti, but even with my STEM degree and working in a math heavy field, i still don't understand your use of statistics in this way.

    If I have to guess at what you're getting at:

    1) stats don't apply to individuals. Just because a coin toss gives you 50% chance of getting a head, it doesn't mean you will absolutely get heads half the time. Worst case scenario, you could toss a coin 1000 times and still get a 1000 tails.

    2) mathematical absoluteness is impossible when it comes to stats.

    3) i don't see what 99% of people falling in love has to do with anything.

    4) HOW is something like this helping you? How has this helped you or anyone else in the search for love? What do you do with this info? Do you type every person you meet to determine the frequency of occurrence of your dual? Do you just mass email socionics tests to all your tinder matches? Do you just scan your local bar looking for available women and sociotype them all in your head and be like, "that one there looks like an ESI."

    So let's say that one in 73 people i meet is an ESE. What then? How does this help me? Howwwwwww

    Help me here dude, I don't understand. I'm spending too much time thinking about this.
    This is somewhat close to the idea of the law of large numbers and chebyshev's inequality. I'd suggest you reading about them if you haven't yet and if you are really interested. I won't explain any further.
    I like to teach others, even though I consider myself to be the most ignorant person alive.
    So if I impose my opinions on you, don't take them as arrogance. It's just that I have a strong willingness to share knowledge.

    The more we focus on something, the clearer it gets, but all the rest of the universe gets blurrier. This applies to our thoughts, emotions, feelings, senses, etc. A great part of living can be summarized as the development of the ability to switch our attention to different aspects of our reality in order to achieve that which we want to see as a completely new kind of reality.

  28. #28
    f.k.a Oprah sbbds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    TIM
    SLE
    Posts
    4,486
    Mentioned
    315 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Megatrop View Post
    1/250 works like a threshold. By assuming this value I can get to a threshold of how many people you need to come into contact to be 99% sure of meeting bla bla bla

    Once you know the most accurate distribution of types you can get to a better understanding of the environment. But for instance, I'm only in the mathematical realm, where it's not really necessary to know the actual distributions, given that they are reasonable.

    Notice that a type with 1/16 occurrence is still not very common, and you get to the idealistic number 73. This is gold really
    Ok but your choice of 1/250 is still arbitrary or based on your own subjective sense of an appropriate value.

  29. #29
    PissholeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Hell, Argentina.
    TIM
    IEE-Ne 7w8 Sx/Sp
    Posts
    680
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onfireee View Post
    --make a google ads for ur dual

    --gather all ur duals on an isolated island

    --have them fight to the death

    --winner gets all
    You are my conflictor but this made me lol lmao
    I fuck whoever makes me hard

  30. #30
    PissholeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Hell, Argentina.
    TIM
    IEE-Ne 7w8 Sx/Sp
    Posts
    680
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CoViD Spurdo 007 View Post
    I saw one today because I was dragged with them. People were whispering to each other "He is gay, isn't he?" He actually had a job where he could be flamboyantly IEI and talk about aristocrats in history while sucking their lollipops in unicorn land. I think you should go to a place where some important people had servants and it is a museum nowadays. Lots of potential beta NFs in those places.
    Lemme suck on your lollipop daddy
    I fuck whoever makes me hard

  31. #31
    PissholeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Hell, Argentina.
    TIM
    IEE-Ne 7w8 Sx/Sp
    Posts
    680
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    As an IEE, i have no fucking idea where you can find guys like me. But I know a few and they're all great musicians (myself included ). I don't know if IEE men are that common, just like SLI women. I've seen more EII men and LSE women though.
    I fuck whoever makes me hard

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Lolz, if I take Socionics descriptions seriously, LSIs sound the absolutely least appealing to me romantically. I often question my type because of it. And the constant paranoia and control issues that I seem to elicit from this one type even over the most seemingly benign things bewilders the living crap out of me. They, in turn, bring out the worst in me. As friends, we can get along superficially but anything beyond that is usually a recipe for disaster.
    Last edited by SojournInLimbo; 08-30-2020 at 12:31 AM.

  33. #33
    FreelancePoliceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Maizistan
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    1,425
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synchrony View Post
    Lolz, if I take Socionics descriptions seriously, LSIs sound the absolutely least appealing to me romantically. I often question my type because of it. And the constant paranoia and control issues that I seem to elicit from this one type bewilders the living crap out of me. They, in turn, bring out the worst in me.
    What do you not like about the LSI descriptions?

  34. #34

    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    What do you not like about the LSI descriptions?
    "They can quickly and easily schematize what is correct and incorrect according to the systems they are familiar with and may appear to be absolutely certain of their views, unable to represent any ambiguity in the principles that they put forward. This may take the form of stringent intellectual, political, or other viewpoints, or simply in a high degree of confidence in the principles they put forward towards the social environment around them. LSIs, moreso than any other type, are likely to have firmly unchanging views over a long period of time. Even when LSIs do not have firm, unchanging viewpoints, they may parade their current opinions with brash conviction, as though the logic of their thoughts is sound and irrefutable."

    This always seems to be the biggest point of contention. I tend to live in the grey area and often consider conflicting viewpoints simultaneously. This seems to trigger LSIs. If i even attempt to poke holes or point out contradictions, they hulk out on me. Weirdly I tend to have no issues with LII, ILI, SLI in this regard.
    Last edited by SojournInLimbo; 08-30-2020 at 01:00 AM.

  35. #35
    FreelancePoliceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Maizistan
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    1,425
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synchrony View Post
    "They can quickly and easily schematize what is correct and incorrect according to the systems they are familiar with and may appear to be absolutely certain of their views, unable to represent any ambiguity in the principles that they put forward. This may take the form of stringent intellectual, political, or other viewpoints, or simply in a high degree of confidence in the principles they put forward towards the social environment around them. LSIs, moreso than any other type, are likely to have firmly unchanging views over a long period of time. Even when LSIs do not have firm, unchanging viewpoints, they may parade their current opinions with brash conviction, as though the logic of their thoughts is sound and irrefutable. "

    This always seems to be the biggest point of contention. I tend live in the grey area and often consider conflicting viewpoints simultaneously. This seems to trigger LSIs. Weirdly I tend to have no issues with either LII or ILI.
    LSIs tend to be confident in their opinions because they've invested much thought into them. And honestly, most people don't really think about most things. The LSI mindset is that since they've invested time and effort into thinking about something, then they're probably right, and further debate is a waste of time, especially with people who haven't thought about the problem -- and, if they're wrong, someone else will just tell tell them so, regardless of how they act about it. They're usually open to revising their opinions if they're shown to be predicated on false premises. And LSIs do have a heart; it's rare for them to be intentionally cruel or abrasive, even if they can be so unintentionally.

    I can't speak for ILIs, but if LIIs are more open-minded, it's not because they're less sure of their reasoning, or because they respect other people more than LSIs do; they just have different priorities.

  36. #36

    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    LSIs tend to be confident in their opinions because they've invested much thought into them. And honestly, most people don't really think about most things. The LSI mindset is that since they've invested time and effort into thinking about something, then they're probably right, and further debate is a waste of time, especially with people who haven't thought about the problem -- and, if they're wrong, someone else will just tell tell them so, regardless of how they act about it. They're usually open to revising their opinions if they're shown to be predicated on false premises. And LSIs do have a heart; it's rare for them to be intentionally cruel or abrasive, even if they can be so unintentionally.
    I will concede that I must have interacted with some really unhealthy ones in real life then. I have just had interactions with some where I think we have come to agree to disagree and then out of nowhere, they try to twist my logic on something irrelevant because they were butt hurt that I don't believe in their logic or end up lashing out at OTHER people because of it.

    I have had both an LSI ex and an old business partner who were constantly like this. Both of them have had relatively fucked up childhoods, but geez it was like a freaking interrogation all the time.
    Last edited by SojournInLimbo; 08-30-2020 at 01:36 AM.

  37. #37
    peteronfireee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    TIM
    LSI
    Posts
    1,134
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    LSIs tend to be confident in their opinions because they've invested much thought into them. And honestly, most people don't really think about most things. The LSI mindset is that since they've invested time and effort into thinking about something, then they're probably right, and further debate is a waste of time, especially with people who haven't thought about the problem -- and, if they're wrong, someone else will just tell tell them so, regardless of how they act about it. They're usually open to revising their opinions if they're shown to be predicated on false premises. And LSIs do have a heart; it's rare for them to be intentionally cruel or abrasive, even if they can be so unintentionally.

    I can't speak for ILIs, but if LIIs are more open-minded, it's not because they're less sure of their reasoning, or because they respect other people more than LSIs do; they just have different priorities.
    this is 100% spot on. i never throw out an opinion I haven't thought about at least a million times in my head lol... it's never "I think" this is so and so because so and so... It's usually "IT IS" so and so because so and so... and sometimes I know it comes off as arrogant, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes
    Last edited by peteronfireee; 08-30-2020 at 07:51 PM.
    "I like to provoke people because it makes them think"

  38. #38

    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onfireee View Post
    1) are u sure these people were LSI
    2) are u sure your interpretation of the events isn't biased/twisted
    1) I was never quite sure about my ex but he seemed ABSOLUTELY CONVINCED he was LSI. Other people more versed in socionics seemed to think so too. The second person was an extremely rigid, detail-oriented, black and white, business lawyer who seemed to value status, power, hierarchy.

    2. Of course, I have some bias but doesn't everyone? I am not perfect by any means. At least from where I was standing, both my ex and old business partner would lash out if their feelings got hurt instead of clearly communicating it. It was almost as if they expected others to read their minds. They then made assumptions about people without verifying it and then when the expectations weren't met, they would get angry and lash out.

    What would you consider the typical LSI response?

  39. #39
    peteronfireee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    TIM
    LSI
    Posts
    1,134
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synchrony View Post
    1) I was never quite sure about my ex but he seemed ABSOLUTELY CONVINCED he was LSI. Other people more versed in socionics seemed to think so too. The second person was an extremely rigid, detail-oriented, black and white, business lawyer who seemed to value status, power, hierarchy.

    2. Of course, I have some bias but doesn't everyone? I am not perfect by any means. At least from where I was standing, both my ex and old business partner would lash out if their feelings got hurt instead of clearly communicating it. It was almost as if they expected others to read their minds. They then made assumptions about people without verifying it and then when the expectations weren't met, they would get angry and lash out.

    What would you consider the typical LSI response?

    I guess it depends on the nature of the situation... I remember a friend/coworker was trying to bust out a racial joke in front of all my coworkers and i EXPLODED lol looking back that was the most excessive (+ I feel kinda stupid about it looking back) I've been but its like when u hear the same jokes for 32 years u gotta use fire sometimes to put it out. And the thing is the joke wasn't that bad, i didn't really care, its just the fact it was in front of everyone that gave it more oomph.

    Other times when someone isn't doing what they're supposed to (and they know they aren't) I just give them the "stink eye" or "look of disapproval" and that clears it up usually. Or I'll simply say "Don't do that again" and they usually know. If it's a person that deserves a witty come-back I'll go that route as well.
    Last edited by peteronfireee; 08-30-2020 at 10:39 PM.

  40. #40

    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onfireee View Post
    I guess it depends on the nature of the situation... I remember a friend/coworker was trying to bust out a racial joke in front of all my coworkers and i EXPLODED lol looking back that was the most excessive I've been but its like when u hear the same jokes for 32 years u gotta use fire sometimes to put it out. And the thing is the joke wasn't that bad, i didn't really care, its just the fact it was in front of everyone that gave it more oomph.

    Other times when someone isn't doing what they're supposed to (and they know they aren't) I just give them the "stink eye" or "look of disapproval" and that clears it up usually. Or I'll simply say "Don't do that again" and they usually know.
    That makes a lot more sense. A lot more tame than I am used to from LSIs in real life interactions.
    Last edited by SojournInLimbo; 08-30-2020 at 11:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •