Thread: Privacy leak

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Privacy leak

Not diggin FB merging with WhatsApp, messenger, and instagram messenging all together.

People should be switching to apps like Signal messenger... It's the only app out that isn't selling, collecting and selling your info, plus end-to-end encryption

Remember any FB owned messaging app has no privacy, and your info could leak into the hands of future employer, etc... Yes FB is the worst when it comes to privacy.

Either that or keep ur convos very formal.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also rec briar for mobile encryption comms
    only works on android but is metadata resistant and offers more anonymity over Signal + Telegram (no phone number or username) includes same benefits like p2p end-to-end runs on tor nodes

online privacy is an insane rabbithole if you’re looking for the best of the best but here’s a quick simple guide to add-ons, networks, and vpns etc to reduce online printing.

https://wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/...ising_yourself

and remember to support free opensource software! make stallman mommy proud

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by onfireee View Post
    Remember any FB owned messaging app has no privacy
    Windows 10, Android / iOS have no "privacy"
    popular sites and services send the data after an ask or do "gates" for regular access
    if you give money or have relation to state organisations - you may get anything what people do by common computer devices

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    Windows 10, Android / iOS have no "privacy"***ular sites and services send the data after an ask or do "gates" for regular access
    if you give money or have relation to state organisations - you may get anything what people do by common computer devices
    yeah pretty much ... its just really annoying for ur shit to be so vulnerable, not to mention, creepy AF

pretty sure the cybersecurity sector will be vastly popular this coming decade...
    Last edited by Computer Loser; 08-19-2020 at 11:25 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Examples of what might happen when u are hacked

***For education purposes only, these are not real life examples***

1. When typing "snipping tool" a picture of a sniper pops up instead:

2. Your computer is just covered in shit:

3. You get sucked off. Hard. Your files will be sucked away to OneDrive/iCloud. Anything you try to capture will be sent there too.

'Celebgate' iCloud hack perpetrator sentenced to 34 months in prison

4. other creepy shit:

The takeaway: Don't hack unless u wanna chill w some rats in prison
    Last edited by Computer Loser; 08-21-2020 at 10:14 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6 Ways to Prepare for Hacking Attacks

Hackers have broken into billions of accounts throughout the years. It is not altogether unlikely that you have been personally affected by one of these attacks.

You don’t have to be a cybersecurity expert to prepare yourself from hackers. It’s much easier to protect your data, your identity, or your company than you may think.

Thankfully, there are a few resources that will help you create unbreakable passwords, find out whether or not any of your personal accounts have been hacked, and update existing software. Cybersecurity strategies can also help you prepare for hacks and protect yourself.

Here are 6 surefire ways to defend yourself from hacking attacks:

1. Read pressing cybersecurity news

Staying informed about the latest breaches, bugs, and bots will help you defend yourself and even prevent potential hacking attempts.

2. Check if you’ve been compromised

The website HaveIBeenPwned.com allows users to put in account information, such as an email address. HaveIBeenPwned checks its database of millions of accounts. If your account turns up, then it’s been compromised.

If you happen to have a compromised account, you’ll want to change your password as soon as possible. In addition, you’ll want to keep a lookout for any suspicious activity for a few months.

3. Create strong, unique passwords

Passwords are the easiest ways to defend ourselves from hacking attempts. There are simple and effective password strategies that can make your account unbreakable.

The most effective passwords are:

Unique for every account
    At least 8-12 characters long
    A mixture of numbers, letters, and special characters (like ‘!’, ‘@’, and ‘&’)
    A mixture of lowercase and capital letters
    One trick for remembering strong passwords is to create a sentence or meaningful phrase out of the password. So, for example, g00D7Hinkn5!, could be referred to by the phrase “good thinking!”

4. Use a password manager

Password managers take a good chunk of the work out of protecting yourself from hacking attempts. Password managers like LastPass take the guesswork and the grunt work out of creating, storing, and changing your passwords.

With password managers, you can keep all of your passwords in one encrypted location. You’ll never have to enter in your passwords again (save for the master password you use for the manager). You can even generate strong passwords and rotate them automatically so you don’t even have to keep coming up with passwords on your own.

5. Enable two-factor authentication

For important accounts, like your professional or personal email accounts, for example, you can add two-factor authentication. What does this mean? Two-factor authentication provides users with two walls to their accounts instead of just one.

How does two-factor authentication typically work? After entering your password, your phone will receive a secure SMS. This text message will contain something like six-digit code. You are then prompted to enter the code into your web browser. Only after entering the code will access to your account be granted.

6. Update software regularly

Software almost always has bugs, holes, or backdoors. No matter how new a software product may be, there are always exploitable elements. Luckily, software developers are aware of this and have a few measures to fight against these unexpected errors.

Software updates patch software issues. For this reason, it’s of the utmost importance to consistently check for updates. The more outdated your software, the more likely it is hackers will exploit it. Update your software regularly to minimize risk.

Conclusion

Malicious hacking is now a part of everyday life. There’s no reason to panic, however, since there are many ways to prevent breaches and minimize the impact of successful hacks.

Staying informed is one of the easiest ways to protect yourself against cyber attacks. Reading security news can impart new methods and strategies for dealing with threats as well as keep you abreast on the latest issues.

Be sure to check if you’ve been compromised in the past. It’s best to simply face past hacking attacks and work to reduce the risk of further intrusion. Use HaveIBeenPwned.com to assess whether or not you’ve been hacked in the past.

Source: https://hakin9.org/6-ways-to-prepare...cking-attacks/

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used a password (which happens to be the one I use on THIS SITE) to test and this popped up:

What. The. Fuck.

Lol

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wtf is this thread.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by onfireee View Post
    Lol, ya k.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by peteronfireee2 View Post
    Pretty sure (though I could be wrong) a lot of cyber security is worthless against both government / non-government
    criminal agencies who have their hands on this advanced technology.

You're not wrong. Many government agencies are forbidden to use Lenovo computers (formerly IBM) because the processors are made in China and spyware has been found, not in the software, but in the chips themselves.

http://solidsystemsllc.com/firmware-security/

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    You're not wrong. Many government agencies are forbidden to use Lenovo computers (formerly IBM) because the processors are made in China and spyware has been found, not in the software, but in the chips themselves.

http://solidsystemsllc.com/firmware-security/
    It's worth noting that all modern Intel and AMD processors contain spyware implemented for the US government, called the Intel Management Engine and Platform ""Security"" Processor, respectively, which are entire operating systems inaccessible to or uncontrollable by the "normal" kernel and which have full access to absolutely everything on your system. The IME also comes with networking ability (which again can't be detected by the user-facing OS, and which could theoretically disguise messages as "jitter" along with ordinary network transmission) for extra "fun."

Personally, because I don't live in China, I would much rather deal with Chinese spyware than this crap. But thanks to international intellectual property laws there are no real competitors to either company so the US can do what it wants.
    Last edited by FreelancePoliceman; 01-26-2022 at 10:20 PM.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Peter, you're right that the US government can bypass basically any privacy and cybersecurity tool. But they also don't care about people who are not a threat to them - why do you think you are such a threat?

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by peteronfireee2 View Post
    @Uncle Ave
    Since we're trending towards globalism, my theory is that they first target (experiment on) people that are "anti-authoritarian" or individuals that speak out against government corruption / propaganda.
    Peter, while I do think your understanding of these political trends is more or less correct, and you are correct in saying that there are abuses of power, it doesn't seem to be doing your mental health much good to focus on these things. My dad once told me that overthinking too much about big questions can lead one to become "crazy" (as he put it). He also told me "just try to live a normal life" when I got caught up in questions like these myself, and I think he was right with that advice. I don't think we should ignore political problems, but if such things are taking a toll on your mental health, it's better to take a step back and focus on something else. Regardless of whatever abuses of power exist, it is still possible to live a happy life. Noone is asking you to die for freedom, I don't think God is either (partially because I don't believe in a personal concept of God, but even if you read Jesus' teachings, he prefered not to get involved in politics to the point of it confusing his message - "give to Ceaser what belogs to Ceaser" he said to the people who were trying to get him to forment a revolution against the cruel and oppressive Roman Empire).

I'm saying this kindly, I don't mean to ignore your worries, but to me what you described in the thread you linked me sounds precisely like a psychotic episode. The hallucinations can seem very real. I'm not saying this to belittle you and shut you down in the way Adam appearantly has, believe me I wouldn't do that, I'm saying this because while I don't know you, I do worry for you. If something is harming your peace of mind, please, take some out for yourself and do something you enjoy - I don't know what you enjoy, watch a movie, play some games, go hiking in nature, talk with people at your local church, etc, just suggestions.

I'm trying to say all this in the most non-condescending and non-dismissive way possible. I wish you well.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

@peteronfireee2, I wish you well, too. I really do. I like you and I'm sorry if my earlier posts came off as sounding belittling, or as an attempt to shut you up. They certainly weren't intended to sound that way.

I was just trying to get you to see that some of the things you posted sound like they are off the deep end, and if I didn't think you were able to see that, I'd not have said anything at all.

If I have been rude or insensitive, I apologize.

Banned
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default King James Version

Last edited by peteronfireee2; 02-17-2022 at 03:50 AM.

Fuck this toxic snake pit Fluffy Princess Unicorn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't use FB and don't have an account. I have no regrets about that decision I made ages ago.