Thread: Why is it important to know the truth?

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Why is it important to know the truth?

Let's say we're living in the Matrix or Plato's cave. And thus you're being tricked and don't know the truth about reality.

Now, let's say you don't know this, but you have some intuition that this might be the case. Why does it matter? Would it change how you live, how happy you are? Note I am not just talking about truth in the metaphysical sense, but also in things like knowing the truth regarding certain things that did/n't happen: did your ex lie to you? Does this person really like you back?

Is knowing the truth good in itself or is it a practical question of having the information you need at hand? Or does it not matter?

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you were content not to look outside the cave, you couldn't be sure that a demolition crew wasn't on its way to blow it up. Perpetual bliss is also perpetual insecurity.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think most people would be unhappy to think they're being deceived. Even if you could disregard xerxe's point about insecurity and somehow be assured that you were safe, I think that wanting to know the truth is such a basic human desire that almost everyone would prefer it.

As an enneagram 946, I must say the search for truth is what leads me to doubt myself and get nowhere. I could choose to doubt that someone has positive relations towards me, but it wouldn't help me any bit or affect my actions or my interest in the affecting my relations towards them.

I'm usually content with not knowing everything, as long as I can act positively on my assumptions.

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My output depends on the information that comes in, so regardless how unhappy it makes me I want to get as close to the objective truth as possible in order to generate output (action) that is in line with reality. Following my intuition will change my life, it will eventually lead me out of the cave and into a much bigger world.

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The question of the true nature of things is a universal theme. The question is somehow related to the state of things and their stability in time. If we imagine happiness or even just a satisfying life as a machine, then some will think : "If it ain't broke don't fix it !". However another person might want to improve that machine and in order to do so taking the risk of breaking it in the process.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

human need

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a difference between knowledge and wisdom. You should know the stove is hot so you don't touch it. But if there's a truth that you're not prepared to act on then it might be better if you didn't know it.

Knowledge also is partial and can be misguiding if it's not focused on the right things. "A little learning is a dangerous thing."

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Because the truth can help protect you from other people's manipulations? It sounds like u were talking about somebody being so blissfully naive that the truth didn't matter to them only their fantasies/lies- this doesn't seem sustainable to me. There is a world that exists outside your own head.

The truth can hurt and often does so, but can also save your life.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I don’t need to be told anything
    I can feel the truth
    And if I struggle with the truth then I choose to deny the truth I already feel within me then I’m being a fool
    A fool and their money are soon to be parted. Someone said that!
    Also, get the eff out if you don’t trust someone

You are LSI so truth must be a confirmation of what you are feeling but can not describe?
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shazaam View Post
    Because the truth can help protect you from other people's manipulations? It sounds like u were talking about somebody being so blissfully naive that the truth didn't matter to them only their fantasies/lies- this doesn't seem sustainable to me. There is a world that exists outside your own head.

The truth can hurt and often does so, but can also save your life.
    *Like*

Yes, the truth sets you free! This is true in the biggest arena of all, eternity, as Jesus says, "I am the Way, the TRUTH and the Light, and no one comes to the Father but by Me." - - which I believe is life's biggest and most Ultimate Truth. He, the TRUTH, sets you free from every bondage, and the bondages always come in the form of lies.

In my life I have found over and over again that "The truth sets you free" is s true in so many ways. Yes, even when the truth hurts - as it often does. In my whole life, whenever I discovered I had been living or believing a falsehood, while that discovery is often a quite painful, learning that truth of that matter is ALWAYS is accompanied by freedom.* So I have concluded long ago that, always: lies enslave, and truth sets you free.

So in my life it is a long and continuous path of trying to discover the truth of things, which I never tire of, especially because of the reward of freedom that comes from the discovery of truth.

*An example is, say you discover that your significant other, who continually pledges to you that that you are their love, their "one and only forever", and you live in belief of this, and return the same, in fact has actually long been a serial womanizer [or "man-izer?"]. Well that is PAINFUL to the extreme. When the shock and sorrow fades, one sees what freedom one has gained with the truth, and how the lie enslaved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knowledge of the world cannot convincingly be separated from our agency within it. So to put in more radically, as the famous saying goes, there are no facts only interpretations.

TIM
    EII-Fi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wavebury View Post
    Let's say we're living in the Matrix or Plato's cave. And thus you're being tricked and don't know the truth about reality.

Now, let's say you don't know this, but you have some intuition that this might be the case. Why does it matter? Would it change how you live, how happy you are? Note I am not just talking about truth in the metaphysical sense, but also in things like knowing the truth regarding certain things that did/n't happen: did your ex lie to you? Does this person really like you back?

Is knowing the truth good in itself or is it a practical question of having the information you need at hand? Or does it not matter?
    I don't think it does matter, since it isn't the principles we run on

May look like an LSI, but -Te. Metaphor's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-LIE-NH
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Truth is objective and therefore, it doesn't matter whether it's the truth or not, so long you keep existing as a person, or a being on itself.
    However, it is rather necessary to create a connection between both truth and reality then understand the way it applies, which is the fact.
    Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel: "The history of the world is none other than the progress of the consciousness of freedom."

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wavebury View Post
    truth is overrated, I got into countless piss matches over the internet for the last 10 years or more, either because someone was being factually innacurrate or because they derailed from the main subject through fallacy. It's just a waste of time when everyone has their own "truth". If there is something typology systems have taught us is that no matter how "right" you are, if more people think you're wrong and you need them in the future, you're gonna have a problem because they will not want to be around you.

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Truth is a phenomenon that always exist as an abstraction. It's always hidden, draped in a veil of mystery until it is uncovered and revealed. It is literally an occult phenomenon. I would say that the moment of its revelation truth stop to exist as a pure abstraction and transcends to another plan in a multitude of potential forms such as events, objects, data points, matter of facts.

I don't agree with assumption that a belief can be the truth, that's a domain of faith not of truth. I would say that we can intuitively feel the presence of truth in certain situation and reflections, some might feel the presence of deception in other words the mysterious veil covering the truth, maybe that depends on the polarity of our psyche so to speak (negativist/positivist). I don't agree with the assumption that truth is always submitted to facts, those are like I said two different and distinct conceptions that may or not be correlated. However, someone's truth can be different than that of someone else, in that sense truth is not an universal phenomenon.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scientia potentia est