Thread: Crippling OCD

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Crippling OCD

I have an obsessive compulsive need to predict the future, namely an obsessive compulsive need to predict who I'll end up with romantically in the future.
    i doubt it's simply anxious preoccupied attachment as it has reach its extreme, and the more i try to fight it, the worse it becomes.
    i also can not stand to not be able to talk to anyone for extended periods of time and do frantic efforts to avoid abandonment, especially after a fight. i realized the personality disorders i claimed i have in another thread i really dont have, after talking to my therapist, but my psychiatrist says i have "borderline like traits".
    i was diagnosed with "mood disorder" which appears to be eclectic. my bad mood swings take over when i am having my compulsions, especially because i have no one to talk to irl and not excessively online about this. and it would only make it worse.
    it has also affected women i have met, because i have obsessively pursued them, and then drew back, upon realizing it was only, a compulsion, usually after being accepted.
    i obsessively analyze everything, from dream interpretation, to istikhara prayer (guidance prayer in islam), list writing of girls' qualities, etc.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You realize that’s all of us here lol

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't worry, typically borderline like traits will start to diminish at around 40 years of age.

But if you can't be that patient, I'd like to recommend the book "Reinventing your life" by Jeffrey E. Young. It is a self-help book based on Schema Therapy, one of the most successful types of therapies for borderline like traits.

And from what you are writing, borderline seems about right. Which means OCD is out of the question. Being obsessive and compulsive in the way you describe, is not what OCD stands for.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbbds View Post
    You realize that’s all of us here lol
    ?_?.. uh.. no

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

> it has also affected women i have met, because i have obsessively pursued them, and then drew back, upon realizing it was only, a compulsion, usually after being accepted

You did not like those girls enough for relations. Find the ones who inspire positive emotions in a communication with them.
    Also, friendly relations with appropriate people may help with neurotic disorders.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OP
    I have an obsessive compulsive need to predict the future,
    Quote Originally Posted by shotgunfingers View Post
    ?_?.. uh.. no
    Ok Ni lead/valuing

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a clear "just eat the rat" case. Forcibly expose yourself to the opposite of your obsessions over and over again til it breaks. Worked for me, will work for you.

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbbds View Post
    Ok Ni lead/valuing
    I never worry about the future. I have an idea where its going tho, at least within the next decade.

stuff I might be OCD about.. hmm.. getting to the bottom of things maybe, figuring out whats really going on, detecting danger before it happens and preemptively dealing with it.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    > it has also affected women i have met, because i have obsessively pursued them, and then drew back, upon realizing it was only, a compulsion, usually after being accepted

You did not like those girls enough for relations. Find the ones who inspire positive emotions in a communication with them.
    Also, friendly relations with appropriate people may help with neurotic disorders.
    I did know this one INFj girl who went to my college, who is a family friend, and who was nice to me all the time and I enjoyed my time with. She doesnt have social media despite my scouring the internet for it. she's 17, im 21, so that's a tiny bit of a problem, in addition to the fact that i guess her parents are in control and that's why they might not be letting her have social media. i described my interactions with her in detail to a therapist, making sure not to include bias, and he commented that she seemed interested in me, at least strongly as a friend. i began having doubts as soon as i couldn't see her for a while, and began self sabotaging. her father also doesn't like me. but her mother likes me. i just wish i could sit down and have an intimate conversation with her or at least see her lovely face in person during this quarantine. oh well, at least schools are reopening where i live. oh, and she said her father warned her to stop talking about me to him. ??????? after i told her my feelings for her and how i couldn't act on it due to my religious beliefs

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    Don't worry, typically borderline like traits will start to diminish at around 40 years of age.

But if you can't be that patient, I'd like to recommend the book "Reinventing your life" by Jeffrey E. Young. It is a self-help book based on Schema Therapy, one of the most successful types of therapies for borderline like traits.

And from what you are writing, borderline seems about right. Which means OCD is out of the question. Being obsessive and compulsive in the way you describe, is not what OCD stands for.
    Lots of things start to diminish around 40 years of age...

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aramas View Post
    Lots of things start to diminish around 40 years of age...
    Fortunately, some other things will make up for the losses.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    Fortunately, some other things will make up for the losses.
    Hmmmm..... Forgive me if I remain skeptical until the chicks have hatched.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I briefly had a fling with a lawyer who was OCD.

I would use a glass of water and immediately had to wash it and dry it...

Psyyyyycho.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
    I have an obsessive compulsive need to predict the future, namely an obsessive compulsive need to predict who I'll end up with romantically in the future.
    i doubt it's simply anxious preoccupied attachment as it has reach its extreme, and the more i try to fight it, the worse it becomes.
    i also can not stand to not be able to talk to anyone for extended periods of time and do frantic efforts to avoid abandonment, especially after a fight. i realized the personality disorders i claimed i have in another thread i really dont have, after talking to my therapist, but my psychiatrist says i have "borderline like traits".
    i was diagnosed with "mood disorder" which appears to be eclectic. my bad mood swings take over when i am having my compulsions, especially because i have no one to talk to irl and not excessively online about this. and it would only make it worse.
    it has also affected women i have met, because i have obsessively pursued them, and then drew back, upon realizing it was only, a compulsion, usually after being accepted.
    i obsessively analyze everything, from dream interpretation, to istikhara prayer (guidance prayer in islam), list writing of girls' qualities, etc.
    Ask your medical doctor to help you start an appropriate exercise program for you. Can hlep immensely with mental health. ask doc because each body has unique needs and vulnerabilities

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Misfit: a little anecdote here. I have had mood swings for all my life. Probably not as serious as those you have, but nonetheless. Last year I had problems with my digestion, my doctor had my blood tested, some levels were off and she sent me to the hospital for further investigation. Some more blood test revealed I had a shortage of Vitamin D. So I got a prescription for 20ug of Vitimin D per day, for the rest of my life.

It is not sure if my Vitimin D levels had anything to do with the digestive problems I was having, but totally unexpectedly my mood swings have disappeared. So I investigated and it turns out a shortage of Vitamin D can cause depressive symptoms. All these years I have been trying to combat my mood swings with all sorts of self help techniques, therapy, meditation etc.etc., when all I needed apparently was some extra Vitamin D. I don't know about the place where you live, but in the Western world there often is too much of a psychological approach to mental health problems, when in fact these mental health problems might have their cause in physical problems.

Chances are small that it will help in your case, but Vitamin D is cheap, readily available and if it doesn't work, it will not have side effects, if you stick to decent amounts such as 20 micrograms a day. If it works, it will not solve all of your problems, but it might make life a little better. Give it a try.

More in general you might ask your doctor for a blood test to rule out physical causes of your condition.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The OP has no OCD. He's obviously obsessive and compulsive in his behavior, but these behaviors do not qualify as OCD and instead can be completely understood within the framework of Borderline PD like traits.

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
    The source of obsessive compulsive behavior is fear. If you can overcome fear, a lot of other things might fall into place.