Thread: Type and Nostalgia

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Type and Nostalgia

I am an intuitive type, and I am nostalgic as hell - but there is a better word for what I like: 'retro.' I love old things, but only from the recent past. And especially things from the 1970s and 1980s, and also especially the things that look or seem modern from those time periods. For instance, I love reading science books from those decades, including books by Richard Feynman, Carl Sagan, and Isaac Asimov. Someone would love to call me `traditionalist` for what I like, and there is nothing wrong with traditionalists to me, but I feel my interests escape that kind of narrow classification like crazy…

Do you like nostalgia? What types are nostalgic and why?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As an IEI I can get quite nolstalgic for earlier times in my life. Beyond that, though, humankind's future fascinates me much more than their past. "Retro" is cool though so what is it if you read a scifi book set in the future written a generation or two ago? I always classified that as "future" but it seems you classify it as "past" (with the authors)?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatte View Post
    As an IEI I can get quite nolstalgic for earlier times in my life. Beyond that, though, humankind's future fascinates me much more than their past. "Retro" is cool though so what is it if you read a scifi book set in the future written a generation or two ago? I always classified that as "future" but it seems you classify it as "past" (with the authors)?
    Wow, we are different... I see it as 'past' because although it is set in the future, it doesn't contain the actual futuristic elements and the author would be from the past. I would therefore never would think of it the way you do. (To perceive how someone sees it that differently is actually really cool...)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post
    Wow, we are different... I see it as 'past' because although it is set in the future, it doesn't contain the actual futuristic elements and the author would be from the past. I would therefore never would think of it the way you do. (To perceive how someone sees it that differently is actually really cool...)
    Yeah, I feel like any speculation about what the future may be like, regardless of when it was written, is about the 'future'..
    The exception is if so-called future they are writing about has already passed or is present-day, or it was written quite a while ago so that the ideas are noticeably very.. "past".
    I'm starting to understand more and more how you see it, and slightly agree with it.. tbh I never really thought about this before!

Mentioned
    1092 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Time is Ni related. So Ni valued types should to have more thoughts and interests about the history, past, retro things. About far future may to have more interests too, though there also appears the element of possible related to Ne and mb lesser specific.

A note

"Tradition" is mostly about irrational. So "traditionalist" is used inappropriately to what did not become objectively better or have become objectively worse. For such cases, as better terms would be "adequatenalist". Or "normalist" in case that is common for the practice of the majority or for ideals of the majority now.
    For example. The main social task of a family is to born and rise children. "Traditional family" is normal family as is thought as best by the majority - a loving pair of man and woman who borns and upbrings their children for whole life. Also it's doubtful from objective side to suppose other kinds of pairs are better for the main social task.
    So for what is called as "traditional family" is appripriately to use just a term "family" and other terms, including with words additions, for other pairs. While when is used the term "traditional" for such family kind - is a lieing and the propaganda of worse kinds of pairs, some of which are even falsly named as families in case of homosexualists which can't born children.
    Types examples: video bloggers, actors

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nostalgia is my romanticism of times I was not present for.
    the anticipation of times olde (e.g. mail-order record) contrasted with current immediacy/superfluous is attractive to me.

cherry-pick the best bits and marvel at the origins of things we're in iterations of,
    even though the full picture can be more like:

I'm not sure on the common thread in terms of IEs. ..
    that would depend on whether "retro" nostalgia relates purely to sentimentality,
    or can it include things such as adopting an aesthetic, or exploring a worldview at one point in history as way of contemplating another.

TIM
    yes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't experience nostalgia as an emotion very strongly. there are things I like about the 80s and 90s but to invoke such attractions is just a meme to me. it's a set of communication symbols used to extract what was good about those times from their broader context, ignoring a lot of the garbage that would otherwise come along... in a lot of ways what people remember of the 80s is an alternate reality, glorified in certain respects while others are forgotten. but when people talk about nostalgia it seems to me more of an immersed thing, in the sense of returning to those times in their complete, unaltered wholeness. and that is something I've never been partial to.
    anomalously generic INT blob

a two horned unicorn renegade COVID 007's Avatar
    TIM
    ILE-α/H, LEVF
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My SEE sister is nostalgia driven as hell.

I'm not really. I take this stuff as based on what I can do with it. Sometimes simplifying and hiding stuff makes me curse towards the present. I must say that at times I like to explore more and it may take me back to painful memories as I need to go back.
    Measuring you right now

Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

TIM
    H-ILE
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NOPE. I'm not nostalgic *shrug* never cared about that.
    The past is to be learned from, not something I'm attached to emotionally.
    I only vaguely remember events and even if at the time it involved strong emotions, my memory is hazy and I can't recall emotions.. so there isn't anything to be nostalgic about.. because I'm not attached to any point in time.
    Last edited by shotgunfingers; 08-04-2020 at 08:04 AM.
    ILE - - Melancholic|Choleric - 6w5-4-8 Sp/Sx
    Oldham's Vigilant Type
    Life today is devoid of any higher meaning or purpose -- you only exist as a GDP producer slave.