Thread: 2020

Default 2020

The first half of 2020 has gone, HOW do you guys think all this is gonna end??
    Is the world gonna be as it used to be??
    Thought
    Im newby in this place but hope you guys all doing good
    AH

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2020 has been an amazing year. It's the year we discovered why plants are green! Yes, we've known plants are green because of chlorophyll for a long time, but 2020 is the year we learned why chlorophyll is green. There are other photosynthetic compounds with other colors. Why didn't plants end up with one of them? Then when you looked out at the landscape, it'd be purple, blue, red, or brown instead, and that'd be weird. However, it could never be those colors. There's actually so much sunlight that plants could be overwhelmed by it and die if they didn't reflect a lot of it back, and that's why plants aren't black. However, of course plants need to absorb some light, which is why plants aren't white either. The reason plants aren't grey is because sunlight is actually full of "noise" which means the intensity of it changes a lot, and if plants were grey, they would be very likely to get too much or too little sunlight. Since sunlight is white, which means it contains all hues in existence, and half the hues of light in existence are green, and the other half are the other five colors, by reflecting back green, the amount of light in the other five colors averages out over time, and that stops plants from basically being burnt by sunlight or from not getting enough sunlight. So, that's why plants are green. Happy 2020!

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Space Aliens.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every day I have to go out for something, I'm gonna drive a little bit faster than the day before, until I finally hit something.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    Every day I have to go out for something, I'm gonna drive a little bit faster than the day before, until I finally hit something.
    You shouldn't do that. Maybe some other people here should do that, but not you.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    I've tried that. It's not as great as it might seem.

When I was 25, I bought a sports car that was capable of going 150 mph. I bought a Grateful Dead Skull and Roses sticker to paste on the car's side, so if I did die in a crash, I'd do so with style. For some reason, I survived all the crashes.

Seatbelts. They're not just for show.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alethea Handy View Post
    The first half of 2020 has gone, HOW do you guys think all this is gonna end??
    Is the world gonna be as it used to be??
    Thought
    Im newby in this place but hope you guys all doing good
    AH
    Biden will be elected. Trump will leave office without a word, shamefaced after his attempts fail to turn Homeland Security into a foreign occupying force. Unemployment will still be as high then as it is now. Many people will give up on trying to find work. Inflation will continue close to zero, despite all the money printed.

The Democrats will push for extending the unemployment benefits. The newly minority Republicans will fight this tooth and nail, citing such bullshit as "fiscal responsibility" and "debt repayment", which are lies intended to scare children. Their real aim is to make the unemployed miserable in order to sow discontent with the newly elected Democrats and tank the economy under a Democratic president. These guys are playing for themselves, despite the oaths they took.

I think the stock market will fall, perhaps 20%, in October or before, and will stay low for six months or a year, until either a vaccine is invented (not likely) or the rich just decide that they can still make money with most of the people out of work, at which point it will continue it's steady rise. Large companies will discover that they can, mostly, have their employees work from home. This will cause them to evaluate the difference between the efficiency losses of a remote work force, and the cost of very large office buildings. If they decide that they can ditch the buildings, real estate values in large cities will fall, along with city tax revenues. Right now, the US govt is bailing out the landlords, but they might not continue to do this. This won't be decided until mid-2021.

COVID-19 cases will also continue to rise. We're a long, long way from herd immunity in the States.

Biden will work to reestablish trade and defense treaties with our allies, and again, the Republicans will oppose this subtly to wreck the economy. The news services will not report this.

The world will continue to get hotter at a faster rate, as no one country shows itself willing to cut back on hydrocarbons. Storms will intensify, as will droughts. The Middle East will continue to be able to support fewer people. Expect some problems from Lebanon, whose infrastructure is failing. Britain will be significantly poorer after Brexit but they won't complain about it, so it will be hard to notice from the outside.

The people you meet daily will continue to get nicer as the criminals created by lead poisoning from leaded gasoline continue to age out of the general population and take their problems with them.

So in summary, the world will mostly be the way it is right now, with a few minor changes, mostly relating to more competent government. The longer term problems of global warming will not be addressed in a serious manner. Be glad you live in North America.
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 07-27-2020 at 02:22 AM.

TIM
    4w3 so/sx
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What ever happened to the killer hornets guys?

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LMFAO View Post
    What ever happened to the killer hornets guys?
    More worried about sea hornets. Irukandji have already migrated to Florida years ago. With climate change, I'm counting the years til they finally make it up to midatlantic beaches.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Down where I live 2020 will continue to see the destruction of whatever remains of the middle class, a task being magnificently carried out by a center-left government who won the office with the oversued promise to tax the rich only to whip the hell out of the middle class with taxes once it went operational.

Everyone with the ability to jump ship will do so and move to bordering countries, likely to those where so-called neoliberal economists had their way in planning the country's future and this yielded at least some positve results (e.g. the Chicago Boys in Chile). I expect that will expand to 2021 as well. We will proabably suffer from an abrupt rise in inflation. The cherry on top will be the increasing crime rates.

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when the holidays & winter comes.. shit is going to hit the fan hard imo. This year has been bad for the economy. End of this year, beginning of next will be interesting. Crazy year. Better prepare at least mentally.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2020 in a nutshell:

2020 for me personally (T1000= creepy 16 types members)

Last edited by Computer Loser; 08-19-2020 at 10:50 PM.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"By 2020, much of the eastern coast of the United States is underwater, as well as Sacramento, California, on its western coast."
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flood_(Baxter_novel)

Doctor of Socionics First Class Socionics Is Not A Cult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently went to a local boutique to buy a 2021 calendar and the shop servant said "You're an optimist then".