Thread: I need a little help with editing/understanding this sentence from a ILE/SEI Duality description!

Threaded View

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I need a little help with editing/understanding this sentence from a ILE/SEI Duality description!

[This post is long because I am including the context, but it just asks input about one sentence]

I am editing this Meged Duality Description for an old SEI friend that I recently got in touch with again, who has been in a longtime Dual marriage. She is unfamiliar with Socionics so I just want to send her something easy to read that is short and easy for her to relate to, and I think this is it. Except the Duality descriptions from Meged (and the others) are all "he, him, his" for both types being discussed, which adds to the confusion of reading translations from the Russian, while you are considering a male/female pair. I have found that changing out the appropriate pronouns, in the case of considering a male/female duality pair, is extremely helpful.

However, when I get to this one sentence, highlighted below, I can't figure out who is being spoken of! Which should be him, which her? So I would like help to edit the questionable sentence highlighted in red below (the rest of the text I have already converted to the him/her) and clarify it for me!

"The Innovator" = ENTp = ILE (Ne-Ti) - [husband]
    "The Mediator" = ISFp = SEI (Si-Fe) - [wife]

The Innovator is somewhat torn away from reality. He is captivated by far-reaching projects. He usually has many ideas and interests, which he explains so vaguely that only few people can fully understand him. The Mediator, however, does not reject them at once, but displays an interest; if she notes one that is useful, she looks for support from people who can help with practical realization of these ideas. If these ideas, however, seem to her too naive, or if their implementation is too problematic, The Mediator can subtly 'ground' The Innovator's inventive energy, calm him down, and distract him from 'fighting windmills'. The Mediator appreciates The Innovator's originality of thought and often shares in his interests and his passions. In general, she tolerantly relates to this 'eternal child', playing the role of a caring parent. He manages the practical side of their everyday life together.

The Innovator critically refers to everything that has been already invented and made. He searches for new solutions and alternatives. Analyzing the situation and finding points that are arguable, he may cause a split in an organization and create his own group of adherents. However, due to lack of tactfulness he cannot always attract and keep his supporters. His dual, The Mediator, is an expert at 'shuttle diplomacy'; she is quite capable of banding people together, softening the ethical mistakes of her dual and finding support from his superiors. She takes care of the comfort, rest, and entertainment of other people, and can arrange gatherings and parties. In handling everyday tasks and chores The Mediator is very active and mobile. ***He strives to finish all that he has started, but on the condition that he is convinced that it has good future prospects and that he receives advice on resolution of complicated and intricate situations.*** The Mediator watches and manages the flow of work, and does not let The Innovator drop everything and stop halfway, being pulled aside by another idea. The Innovator needs such a person who can exert a stabilizing effect on both affairs and relations.

The Innovator readily mobilizes in critical moments. He courageously rebuffs his opposition, protecting both his own interests and interests of people close to him. While at this, he sometimes loses the sense of measure and goes overboard. The Mediator watches for this and skillfully directs his initiatives. When The Innovator loses his energy and vitality, and begins neglect his duties, The Mediator arranges for an emotional shake-up for him and by this raises his spirits. Likewise, The Mediator can soften a conflict and extinguish a quarrel by relying on diplomacy and jokes, before it leads to a break up of their relations. The Mediator's feelings often return The Innovator 'to solid ground' and distract him from abstractions, making him consider the practical side of life as well.

The Innovator does not regulate interpersonal distance in communication very well; sometimes he is inappropriately familiar and impolite, too trusting towards other people, or too kind to those who don't care for him. For this reason he may fall into troubles and difficult situations. The Mediator relieves him from such mistakes.

The Mediator can take care of the health and well-being of others. The Innovator appreciates this trait of his dual. He responds with reciprocity, strives to be faithful in their partnership and friendship, which is especially liked by The Mediator.

Although from afar The Mediator demonstrates an optimistic attitude, she, in actuality, is very much afraid of the future as the source of uncertainty. Her dual saves her from such doubts by foreseeing what is going to happen and especially by taking protective actions and measures of global strategic nature. The Mediator periodically falls into periods of inaction and laziness, but her dual does not rebuke her for this and does not require her to be always highly productive. The Mediator likes The Innovator's talent to derive benefit out of everything without much effort, to make profitable deals, and willingly assists her partner in such endeavors.

Spontaneity, immediacy, ingenuousness, and impulsiveness in life and in feelings are the 'visiting card' of this dual pair.

Three possible options for correction of him/her are below; I am leaning towards #2, but I could be wrong, so I seek advice:

1) She strives to finish all that she has started, but on the condition that she is convinced that it has good future prospects and that she receives advice on resolution of complicated and intricate situations.

2) She strives to finish all that he has started, but on the condition that she is convinced that it has good future prospects and that he receives advice on resolution of complicated and intricate situations.

3) He strives to finish all that he has started, but on the condition that he is convinced that it has good future prospects and that he receives advice on resolution of complicated and intricate situations.

I think option 3 is unlikely but maybe. It seems that option 2 is good, but if so it should be rewritten for clarity so you can understand what is being said. Here are options 1 & 2, rewritten for clarity:

1) The Mediator strives to finish all that she has started, but on the condition that she is convinced that it has good future prospects and that she receives advice on resolution of complicated and intricate situations.

2) ]The Mediator strives to finish all that her dual has started, but on the condition that she is convinced that it has good future prospects [for him] and that he receives advice on resolution of complicated and intricate situations.

If there is another better option I did not think of, please let me know!
    Last edited by Eliza Thomason; 07-11-2020 at 08:58 PM.
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"