Thread: Social, emotional, and cognitive differences between early and late adolescents

TIM
    3w4
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Social, emotional, and cognitive differences between early and late adolescents

Hello there, I just want to discuss some major changes in human development as people mature through their teenage years. There seem to be a trend I'm seeing, but I'm not entirely sure.

Questions:
    1. Have you noticed any changes in worldview as you aged from 10 to 20? (possibly sooner or later)
    2. Have you ever had a rebellious phase, if so, when?
    3. What were the best and worst years of your teens, and why?

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Surreal View Post
    Hello there, I just want to discuss some major changes in human development as people mature through their teenage years. There seem to be a trend I'm seeing, but I'm not entirely sure.

Questions:
    1. Have you noticed any changes in worldview as you aged from 10 to 20? (possibly sooner or later)
    When I was 10, I was ensconced in the bosom of my family and thought I would be, always. By the time I was 20, I was glad to be away and on my own. This is a fundamental change in world-view that most people experience. Family to world.
    My mother probably thought I was being rebellious when I grabbed her arm as she was getting ready to hit me for the one millionth time and I told her "You're not going to hit me any more." Be careful how you treat people who are smaller than you. They might grow up to be bigger and much, much stronger than you, and they will remember what you taught them.

My father probably thought I was being rebellious when I came home from the University with liberal views. "We should never have allowed you to go to that school", he told me.
    Probably the worst year was eighth grade. I'd arrive at school with my eyes red and running water, but my mind could find no reason for me to be sad, so it must have been allergies. Every day. All year. Also, I got into a fist fight with a guy I didn't know but was simply passing in the hall. He was coming out of the men's room, I was going in, and we started throwing punches. I have no idea what that was about, either. I spent two weeks in detention for it.

Probably the best year was my senior year in high school, when I was taking all the school's advanced courses, I had bought a lathe and a Bridgeport mill with savings from my summer jobs, I had two best friends, an ESI and an IEI, and I knew I was leaving home forever and going out of state to the University of Michigan to become an Astrophysicist. I was running track that year, too.

TIM
    3w4
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sounds tough. Why is your school so aggressive?

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

That sounds tough. Why is your school so aggressive?
    What do you mean? My schools were not aggressive, they were very high quality. My life was not tough, it was a miracle cake walk out of prison into the sunlight. Everywhere I went, I had it easy. Or so it seemed to me.

I still feel like I have it easy. If I have any problems at all, they are from unsatisfied wishes.

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions:
    Ofc, this is only natural. I'm 33 now.

I have always been rebellious, this hasn't changed. Partly because of this I assume I'm CP 6 and have Oldham's vigilant style.

I was emotionally highly volatile with a lot of anger issues up until age 24 where my mind suddenly calmed down (hormones I guess). Post 24 yo things have been much better... teenage years however were quite turbulent. I'm glad that's over.

TIM
    3w4
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@shotgunfingers Lol, its not hormones, they should be gone after puberty. It's probably your prefrontal cortex, and it matures roughly at 25.

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@shotgunfingers Lol, its not hormones, they should be gone after puberty. It's probably your prefrontal cortex, and it matures roughly at 25.
    That makes sense..

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Questions:
    Apart from the obvious differences - when I was 10 I wanted to be like Lisa Simpson: Buddhist, vegetarian, ethical, smart as hell. My parents ridiculed me about the former (but I came back to it and joined a centre last year), let me be vegetarian because they thought it would be a two week phase (15 years & counting), and the latter two I work at as much as possible still. I also was into sports and believed I’d go to hogwarts but I’ve come to accept that neither are for me haha.

i was into an alternative fashion / music scene when I was a teenager so that was a fairly harmless rebellion. As a young adult 17-24, I did the usual pushing away from my parents to make it on my own. I also did the obvious drinking, smoking, party drugs and petty crimes like shoplifting or trespassing. It just naturally ended almost like clockwork around my 25th birthday.

worst years were 15-16. In my country at the time I was going to high school, you go from 11-16 and continue onto 18 as an optional. At somewhere around 14 or 15 I started drifting from my high school friends. We’d come out of puberty as different people I guess but I didn’t know anyone else at school to be friends with. My best friend got a boyfriend who I hated so our groups merged and his friends used to pick on me. I also never tried to fit in with them. At 16 I left and finished my education else where. The year where I was 17-18 was when I met the group of people who are still my core group of friends now so that would be the best year. Unless you count 19-20 as still being in my teens because I met another great group of friends at university then but also had independence, purpose, a boyfriend and lots of alcohol.
    "I take back like half of the exclamation points.....they make me look....eager to please. Which I AM....but I don't want anyone to KNOW that"
    - Carrie Fisher

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I’ve always sort of been in between rebellious and goody-two-shoes-like. Although, when I was 10 years old, I was given increasingly more freedom.

The best years of my teens were maybe 13-15 I was probably the most rebellious during this time. I spent a lot of time with friends, didn’t care about school, wasn’t in any serious relationships, and was able to be callous enough to my family issues. I had a summer job downtown near the beach and would go down there to do schoolwork after work ended. It went downhill after that and I had a bout of extreme depression and anxiety for a few years because of family and relationship issues. Things started to look up again when I turned 19.

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

1.If someone doesnt chance his/her worldview from 10 yo to 20 s/he has problems in development.

2. I don't think so. Often parents think kids are being rebellious because they can't accept the kid is growing up, taking his/her own decisions(not the best often) and getting more independence (they can't control/convince them so easily). In my case I didnt need to I wasn't living with my parents since 15. But it's universal I guess that parents think one is doing wrong at that age.

3. 9-18, because of depression. School, neighborhood and family life sucked.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I was probably most rebellious 15-17. I developed basically all of my chronic health problems during this time. Being on my own at 18 and failing caused me to have to grow up and start taking on adult behaviors. The best years of my teens were probably preteens (even though there was a lot of death) because I was still more or less a carefree kid and because that's when I played chronic trigger.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. My dad tried to maintain tight control over my worldview as a child so it would be his worldview. However, the teen years was when my own views began really taking form and I remember this awareness of how they were often not my dad's views. I started going through every belief injected in my head from him, examining it and deciding which I agreed with or not, and working to debunk a lot of his arguments for myself. It's not that I had always agreed with him in the past, but it wasn't until around middle school that I started seeing it as an important thing to form my worldview. It wasn't exactly defiant or rebellious, it was really rather dispassionate. It just happened with age, as of course in the beginning one's parents often define their world, and in my case since my dad tried to isolate me from others as much as possible, while trying to control what everyone in the household thought, my world had very much been defined by him. And in my teens is when I started to see how small it was in some ways.

2. Not really. Unfortunately I was too afraid to outright rebel against my dad because he might hurt me in response. The times he was like that I was afraid for my life. Rebellion against him would be met with violence and I didn't see how that was a battle I could win. My will resisted him, and he knew this, and he used violence to force that resistance down. But I didn't openly rebel because I was too afraid. I didn't see a way out. I would imagine the different scenarios of getting away from him and they often ended badly in my mind. I had pinned my hopes on my mom I suppose, but I knew how trapped she was.

I didn't rebel against my mother either when she held me hostage with her anxiety after my dad was gone. She didn't want me to branch out much because it made her panic. I couldn't stand the fear. I didn't want to do things that would create the fear. My sister rebelled better against my mom. I regret being too mild to rebel. Basically I think the phase of teenage rebellion was missed in my life, and I think my growth has been stunted ever since.

3. I think the best years of my teens was after my dad got a job and was home considerably less of the time. It was this taste of freedom. I even made a couple friends during this time and they could even come over because my dad didn't need to know. However these same years were bad because it's around the time my mental health started really taking a nose dive. I had an eating disorder and felt insane a lot of the time. My problems perceiving reality began in which I couldn't tell if I was sane or not, or what was real or not. The eating disorder made me feel a lot better about everything. The world seemed to become brighter. It was like I had some control over something in my life. Then my dad killed himself and I fell into a deep depression that I couldn't get out of. I had to be put on meds eventually.