Thread: Are enneagram type descriptions too linear?

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Are enneagram type descriptions too linear?

In the same way the MBTI ones tend to be? When I read them I get the sense that there is something true beneath the one dimensional images, yet the images are linear(ie eights are describes as bullies and assholes who spend their time pushing others around for fun, fives have no emotional dimension underneath the surface etc). Do you think they could be improved, or do you find that the ennegram type descriptions fit you well?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're actually really dynamic.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Contrary to Socionics where one description seems to describe me perfectly, in the Enneagram there always seems to be many traits of my type, taken alone, that I cannot recognize myself in. This is because the categories are very broad and you need to start working on wings, variants and DOI to get a more precise picture.

The Enneagram also works by motivations, and the idea is that we each have a little bit of each motivation inside us - but there is one that supercedes them all and drives behavior.
    ENTj - intuitive subtype - 8w9, sp/sx

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eidos
    Contrary to Socionics where one description seems to describe me perfectly, in the Enneagram there always seems to be many traits of my type, taken alone, that I cannot recognize myself in. This is because the categories are very broad and you need to start working on wings, variants and DOI to get a more precise picture.
    that's very interesting... i'm exactly the opposite. in enneagram i'm a 5w6, sp/so/sx and there never has been or is likely to be any question about that. but in socionics things are somewhat less clear.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Eidos said applies to me as well.

No Enneagram type describes me as well as the ENTj profile by Stratyevskaya. If I "have" to fit into any Enneagram type, it wpuld have to be 8w9 sx/sp; however, I arrived at this after noticing that of all motivations, 8 fits me most, but the so-called "typical" 8 traits as Typhoon listed - bullies, assholes, etc - don't fit me well at all.

On the other hand, for some people - like nifweed17 who says he's obviously a 5w6, and FDG who never changed his enneatype from 7 - it's the Enneagram type that's most obvious. I also know someone who never had any doubt about being a 6, but had problems finding the correct socionics type.

What I think it means is simply that both the Enneagram and Socionics types are imperfect representations of reality, and some people are better described by one of them and other people, by the other one.

As for their being "linear" -- as MysticSonic said, they're actually dynamic since they take into account the level of health and stress and how that is manifested in behavior. In order to understand each Enneagram type well, beyond the 1-dimensional images, it's necessary to understand the arrows, wings, and stackings.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Socionics and Enneagram types serve different purposes. Enneagram is one's work attitude/drives, and socionics is one's social attitude/drives.

Either way-- You are dealing with people. People are very unique and are going to make an exception in almost everything. This isn't math.
    asd

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath
    Socionics and Enneagram types serve different purposes. Enneagram is one's work attitude/drives, and socionics is one's social attitude/drives.

Either way-- You are dealing with people. People are very unique and are going to make an exception in almost everything. This isn't math.
    *gives heath a prize

All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    No Enneagram type describes me as well as the ENTj profile by Stratyevskaya. If I "have" to fit into any Enneagram type, it wpuld have to be 8w9 sx/sp; however, I arrived at this after noticing that of all motivations, 8 fits me most, but the so-called "typical" 8 traits as Typhoon listed - bullies, assholes, etc - don't fit me well at all.
    Definitely agree. No enneagram type describes me as well either as that Stratyevskaya's ENTj profile, which I find surprising in its accuracy.

I also type as 8 through motivations, but can't relate to many typical 8 traits (being pushy, forcing people to do things, bullying, intimidating,... these are behaviors I find despicable). I initially identified as 8w9 too. However, upon further thinking, I think the 8w7 "maverick", so/sx, is more accurate fit if I'm to consider purely motivations.

I think this passage of the description of 8w7's, for example, fits OK with ENTj:

Awakened Eights with a 7 wing are often expansive, and powerful. Gregarious and generous, they may display a cheerful bravado. Can be forceful but with a light touch, funny. Often have a sense of humor about themselves. Generally more extroverted, ambitious and materialistic. May talk loud and be sociable partygoers. Sometimes driven to bring the new into being. Can be visionary, idealistic, enterprising. Willing to take risks. May think more clearly than Eights with a 9 wing; 7 wing brings an intellectual capacity.
    ENTj - intuitive subtype - 8w9, sp/sx

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oyburger
    Quote Originally Posted by heath

*gives heath a prize

eh. I give up.
    asd