Thread: Decent jobs with Asperger's/ADHD with no degree?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Decent jobs with Asperger's/ADHD with no degree?

and anxiety? I have asperger's syndrome, adhd, and anxiety, and probably ocd, and take meds for mood. i cant do data entry clerk. (or at least im afraid to). i had to quit school cause i have no scholarships and my mom is making me go at an enormously slow rate and refuses to pay otherwise and i dont wanna get out a loan. ( due to the debt factor, as well as the fact that interest is a one of the 7 worst sins in my religion). anyone got any ideas? im afraid of being a plumber or other type of blue collar work especially the one that does house visits due to dogs, my immaturity and lust, and social awkwardness. (or just social awkwardness around women). what should i do?

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

It's more appropriate to ask on psychiatry specialized forums. Types related is limited by neurotic disorders.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Programmer

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

librarian assistant?

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yeah. OK tease apart those conditions. Which one is the link to others? Assuming you can find one. Autism is inborn condition but then you can also have infections that leave neurological damage and mimic conditions above.

If you have good attention to details then programming as suggested above is great. Also lots of repetition. This one is supposed to come with autism.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    Your daul
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly sounds like you need a beating. You are spoiled. Beggars can't be choosers.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by COVID 007 View Post
    Yeah. OK tease apart those conditions. Which one is the link to others? Assuming you can find one. Autism is inborn condition but then you can also have infections that leave neurological damage and mimic conditions above.

If you have good attention to details then programming as suggested above is great. Also lots of repetition. This one is supposed to come with autism.
    yeah, i did find a certificate available to the general public advertised as "free online courses" at harvard (free if you don't get the market value certificate) so the certificate is 150-250 dollars. i have some money in my bank account i can use

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by COOL AND MANLY View Post
    Honestly sounds like you need a beating. You are spoiled. Beggars can't be choosers.
    Tbh it seems like you're the one who needs a beating. Show some empathy. A lot of people with autism and those disorders don't work at all.

TIM
    Your daul
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aramas View Post
    Tbh it seems like you're the one who needs a beating. Show some empathy. A lot of people with autism and those disorders don't work at all.
    Then he should stay at home, or know what his real options are. There are very few "decent" jobs with such requirements.

TIM
    Your daul
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, I didn't mean literal beating, more like a reality check.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Beatings don't really cure being spoiled or lacking empathy. My mother tried beatings as a remedy for everything, and as far as I can tell, they only taught me to be wary of her, and when my attitude didn't improve as the beatings continued, to hate her.

*EDIT*
    Here is my take on her behavior now that I'm an adult and have raised a kid myself (without beating him, amazingly enough). She really lacked examples of good parenting, and she was either lazy or simply disinterested in making the effort that is required to raise good children, because that effort is a lot harder to undertake than to just hit the kids and then tell yourself that you are satisfied that you have done what was necessary. And if the kids don't "get it", then they are bad. Just bad.

Growing up, that was me. Born to be bad. Lol.

What you don't want, is one of those kids you trained in violence coming back for you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0_9kHnGx90
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 05-03-2020 at 08:16 PM.

TIM
    Your daul
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    Beatings don't really cure being spoiled or lacking empathy. My mother tried beatings as a remedy for everything, and as far as I can tell, they only taught me to be wary of her, and when my attitude didn't improve as the beatings continued, to hate her.

*EDIT*
    Here is my take on her behavior now that I'm an adult and have raised a kid myself (without beating him, amazingly enough). She really lacked examples of good parenting, and she was either lazy or simply disinterested in making the effort that is required to raise good children, because that effort is a lot harder to undertake than to just hit the kids and then tell yourself that you are satisfied that you have done what was necessary. And if the kids don't "get it", then they are bad. Just bad.

Growing up, that was me. Born to be bad. Lol.

What you don't want, is one of those kids you trained in violence coming back for you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0_9kHnGx90
    I didn't mean literal beating, it was bad wording from me.

I find that giving people direction does very little to change their mind, compared to what life teaches them. Most people would rather experience failure and despair for themselves, in order to thrive. In most cases it's often too late and diminishes their potential. The very few who can learn without falling for that trap are the ones I admire. Such qualities are rare.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by COOL AND MANLY View Post
    one word: no.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coeruleum View Post
    If anything was possible what job would you pick? It sounds like you're going to need a miracle to get any kind of job at all so you might as well aim for what you really want.
    I already decided mostly, I think programming, but shelving books in a library (library assistant, as mentioned) would be ideal, it's just that I worry it doesn't pay enough to support a family later down the road. ill have to look it up. EDIT: on the other hand programming might be ideal, too, but at first glance that's just what i thought, but you never know till you try i guess, i don't have much work experience in either field, except programming on grasshopper (an app) and other free services, which was fun but at times frustrating though stimulating.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If programming takes too long to learn, you can try for a tech. job in an administrative role (such as Network Security Admin.), which may include writing scripts. Scripting is easier than programming but not trivial, meaning that you can make good money out of it and use at as a stepping stone to reach your target. Web Developer is also a good entry-level option. There are probably online schools that can teach you.
    Last edited by xerx; 06-01-2020 at 08:27 AM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerxe View Post
    If programming takes too long to learn, you can try for a tech. job in an administrative role (such as Network Security Admin., which may include writing scripts). Scripting is easier than programming but not trivial, meaning that you can make good money out of it and use at as a stepping stone to reach your target. Web Developer is also a good entry-level option. There are probably online schools that can teach you.
    the harvard extension school course is 150-215 dollars and is only 12 weeks lol (but it's just python and javascript and intro)

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
    the harvard extension school course is 150-215 dollars and is only 12 weeks lol (but it's just python and javascript and intro)
    Python and Javascript are a decent start. What level of programming are you looking to get into?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerxe View Post
    Python and Javascript are a decent start. What level of programming are you looking to get into?
    coder or programmer. so jr or regular software developer but preferably regular.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

coder or programmer. so jr or regular software developer but preferably regular.
    That's a fine ambition, but it will definitely take you more than 12 weeks to get to a level that's acceptable for companies to give you a shot. I could be wrong, of course; you could be an autistic savant.

Anyway, there are two types of interviewers, at least in my experience: HR people and other computer programmers.

HR people are going to ask you basic questions like:

* What is -1 in hex notation?
    * What is agile programming?
    * How many basketballs can fit into a 5 x 5 x 5 ft. room?
    * Describe a database to a five year old.

You can find many of these questions online, since many companies recycle them. They just want to make sure that you have the basics before they let you enter the next stage. For the open-ended ones, they want to see whether you can break down a problem into technical parts.

Other computer programmers are usually going to want to see your code, so it's a good idea to practice writing your own websites and apps before you apply. If you've written high quality code, post it as open-source to a GitHub / GitLab / BitBucket account and put it on your resume.
    Last edited by xerx; 05-04-2020 at 12:49 AM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh, as it turns out it's not called harvard extension school that's entirely different.

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

There are companies and programs that hire autistic to do work where regular people struggle. I think they even pay for education. You might want to try your luck there. Anyway, do you think that you are great at spotting errors and such?
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by COVID 007 View Post
    There are companies and programs that hire autistic to do work where regular people struggle. I think they even pay for education. You might want to try your luck there. Anyway, do you think that you are great at spotting errors and such?
    I am. Must be my Ti. I am, after all, an INTj, and so a Ti dominant.

Restricted user
    TIM
    SLI-Si 6w5 613 sp/so
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Work on getting IT certs and hit that data entry for now, don't let the fear consume you, takes things at a gradient but keep going. I had crippling social anxiety as a teen, having to pay pizza guy at front door or order Chinese on the phone made my heart beat out of my chest, and had the worst anxiety attack leading up to my first job interview at Starbucks, which I ended up getting despite that, which also served as a major catalyst for bringing me out of that anxiety.

Stay away from blue collar work like plumbers, they're assholes and won't have patience or understanding for your problems, companies with well established HR departments that won't tolerate that are best.

Try a slow part time job like Barnes and Nobles to build yourself up, I worked there once, busiest store in my city and was always dead other than holidays but always extremely accommodating work culture. While Starbucks job helped me immensely, stay away from food service and try retail instead, people are goddamn sociopaths when they're hungry. You're not gonna support a family on these entry jobs but it's more about building yourself up on a gradient so you'll feel more comfortable and confident in actual fields that can provide for you.

If you have a green thumb and live reasonably close by rural areas, try out farm hand work, little social interactions at least depending on farm. No customer interaction in any case.

Also if you're seeing a psychiatrist for your meds, switch to a CBT psychologist instead. Psychiatrists will just screw you up with those meds man.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and anxiety? I have asperger's syndrome, adhd, and anxiety, and probably ocd, and take meds for mood. i cant do data entry clerk. (or at least im afraid to). i had to quit school cause i have no scholarships and my mom is making me go at an enormously slow rate and refuses to pay otherwise and i dont wanna get out a loan. ( due to the debt factor, as well as the fact that interest is a one of the 7 worst sins in my religion). anyone got any ideas? im afraid of being a plumber or other type of blue collar work especially the one that does house visits due to dogs, my immaturity and lust, and social awkwardness. (or just social awkwardness around women). what should i do?
    If you're INTJ you want a job that leverages your strengths: Independence, deep thinker, self-reliance, with a touch of creativity.

Consider looking into graphic design, consulting, coaching, engineering, some kind of entrepreneur-ship.

Seek mentors for wisdom (preferably those with INTJ personality types)

I went to school for an extensive period with massive loans so I can't properly answer this question

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think that autism is the new hysteria and catch all thingy and then they say it is because of spectrum. It seems like so called experts talk different things. Some say logical processing, some say hypersensitivity in senses, some say bordering schizophrenia, some say close to ADHD, some say lack of affection, some say lack of interest in social stuff , some intense interest in parts but are fully capable of ignoring parts, some say mathematical scientific thinking and then they add that they can not think abstractly.

Very illogical thinking. Are they afraid of their own future in field of research expanding the field and therefore being autistic ADHD maniacs (pun intended )?
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

You can work on pretty much all of those things. Don't let those stupid lables define who you are. You define who you are and what you want.