Thread: Type and strong handshakes

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Type and strong handshakes

Do you think having a strong handshake is type related?

Discuss.

TIM
    Your daul
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a vacuum, maybe.

It's not going to help you type people since it's a skill that anyone can pick up, that is what I think.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it's related to Se, big surprise.

weakest is probably IEI
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

lesser for N types

TIM
    IEI-Fe-DCh so/sx
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    Yeah, it's related to Se, big surprise.

weakest is probably IEI
    It really is like this.

the last person i met who had a really strong and even lengthy handshake was a girl working at the same company as i did at the time and what crossed my mind was that her boss told his team to have strong handshakes because he gave me a worldly,immediate impression as a person

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Real men bow down low enough to suck their own dicks.

Always let go quick if they grip too hard. They’ve been training it by masturbating too hard for too long. These people are why Purell got invented.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Likely gender related. Men shaking hands with a woman typically don't make it too firm.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obviously it is related to many things, like gender, hierarchy etc. But it is also related to Se. This is really not that complicated. The originally question was "Is it type related" Answer: Yes.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    ISTP
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    Obviously it is related to many things, like gender, hierarchy etc. But it is also related to Se. This is really not that complicated. The originally question was "Is it type related" Answer: Yes.
    Probably somewhat related, at least it's related to what kind of impression you (consciously or unconsciously) want to convey.
    I remember getting my first job long ago and the owner's son (SEE, maybe SLE) who interviewed me said that he had decided it already at my firm handshake.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I once went to shake hands with a guy I knew and instead of firmly clasping hands in a bro-like, masculine manner, he lightly tickled my palm with his fingers while giving me a big grin. That both gave me the creeps and completely changed (for the worse) my opinion of him.

There was a brief time in my life when I went through a period of trying to figure out how much pressure to apply in a handshake. My conclusions:
    Bone-crushing: Too try-hard.
    Limp: Too weak and pussy-like.
    Weird variations: Get this guy out of here.
    About the same pressure you would use to pick up a hammer: Perfect.

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    About the same pressure you would use to pick up a hammer: Perfect.
    A 20 pound sledge hammer?

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My handshake is weak as hell, I'm not sure why. It just feels weird to really grip some strangers hand? I don't know. It's not a physical strength thing because I don't think I'm THAT physically weak.
    Last edited by thegreenfaerie; 05-02-2020 at 07:08 PM.

TIM
    heartless
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a firm handshake because life I guess, and I will adjust it considering context, but I think handshaking is a weird and disgusting gesture, no idea where that hand has been nor when it was last washed.
    I generaly opt out of handshaking, I prefer bowing customs in general. It's cleaner and there's no attempt of intimidation by handcrushing possible this way. I also don't like touching people. I'm short so tall peeps leaning over me with a menacing smirk and trying to crush my hands really get on my nerves. Having talents in drawing and such, I tend to protect my hands, they feel more precious than the nonsense of tactil first impressions or stupid power plays.
    Is it type related, maybe up to a certain point but it can always be overwritten by experiences and knowledges, so don't count too much on it to type.

TIM
    IEI-Fe-DCh so/sx
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are varying degrees of pressure in a handshake, but the completely limp, zero strength (creepy) handshakes I remember were all by IEI males in their 40s. lol.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lynn View Post
    There are varying degrees of pressure in a handshake, but the completely limp, zero strength (creepy) handshakes I remember were all by IEI males in their 40s. lol.
    Weird coincidence. The guy who tickled my hand was an IEI male in his 30's.

TIM
    IEI-Fe-DCh so/sx
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    Weird coincidence. The guy who tickled my hand was an IEI male in his 30's.
    I already knew when I read your post.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lynn View Post
    I already knew when I read your post.
    Damn.

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't really care too much about this kind of thing. Too much pressure is a huge red flag for me that a person is not someone I want to be around. If there's this odd indescribable perfection in the muscle tone of a guy's handshake, it makes him really attractive to me for some reason. That's kind of related to pressure but it's not the same thing.

Eccentric Neurotic Narcissist andreasdevig's Avatar
    TIM
    FiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never understood why people expect others to give a firm handshake. It's just a shallow BS tradition.
    EII-INFj / INFP / Strong E4 and 9 energy / Melancholic-Phlegmatic / Musical-Intrapersonal-Spatial / Kinky-Sensual

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to associate it with confidence. I don’t know, but it seems politicians, lawyers, and car salesman would have firm handshakes. People trying to sell you something...They tend to look you right in the eye, these people, as they are doing it.

if anything, I’d say Se
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andreasdevig View Post
    Never understood why people expect others to give a firm handshake. It's just a shallow BS tradition.
    Like most human behavior, it's a case of convention becoming command.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phi View Post
    I have a firm handshake because life I guess, and I will adjust it considering context, but I think handshaking is a weird and disgusting gesture, no idea where that hand has been nor when it was last washed.
    I generaly opt out of handshaking, I prefer bowing customs in general. It's cleaner and there's no attempt of intimidation by handcrushing possible this way. I also don't like touching people. I'm short so tall peeps leaning over me with a menacing smirk and trying to crush my hands really get on my nerves. Having talents in drawing and such, I tend to protect my hands, they feel more precious than the nonsense of tactil first impressions or stupid power plays.
    Is it type related, maybe up to a certain point but it can always be overwritten by experiences and knowledges, so don't count too much on it to type.
    I’ve found you can usually get out of handshakes by staring disapprovingly at the proffered hand, then raising your gaze to meet theirs and holding it there, ignoring the hand, while telling them whatever it is that needs to be said. Bonus points if they get flustered — it often happens, and makes them easier to manipulate.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I fucking hate limp handshakes. They make me feel like a brute when I meet a limp hand with normal pressure.. I think I view a handshake as a "let's get down to brass tax" symbol, which is why I like them, they shortcut the awkward social dance with strangers a little bit.

TIM
    SLE Sx/So
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ever since i was a kid I had a hard handshake without meaning to.. my 1 boss was some 6 ft 4 goon when I was 17 and he always tried to shake my hand hard to intimidate me so I would squeeze back harder than he was and he would fuck off with that. Now as an adult when I meet stuck up superiors in my company I consciously give them a really hard squeeze first

Otherwise a firm strong shake.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Eh we have a technology to solve limp handshake problems

Or make your own
    https://www.instructables.com/id/How...ctronic-Shock/
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LSIs and LSEs probably have the strongest handshakes. Se-Egos are too laidback and ESIs are typically on the slender side from what I’ve seen
    Last edited by Averroes; 05-03-2020 at 01:49 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im tiny and frail looking so i always make my handshakes way more firm than they should be as a way to let my enemies kno that i will still be able to destroy them
    “You are a little soul carrying around a corpse.”
    - Epictetus

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to think this was dumb, until I saw how such an easy thing gets you decent benefits like respect. So I started doing it, it's the easiest thing to do to make a decent first impression and anybody can learn it of course, as for types who did it naturally without having to learn I agree high D non ignoring Se might be the ones that do it naturally. It' also feels nice after awhile, like a brotherly click. The turning point was an LIE woman, who jokingly said she wanted a stronger handshake from me. I tightened up real quick after that lol.