I have a serious problem with remembering visual information. I have realized this now that I'm in my 20s and I am comparing my memories with those of other people about events in their lives.
On the other hand, I know a lot of information about many different fields of knowledge, and I can easily remember what I have read from books, but this information is in a way related to something I already know (like using mnemonics but in a more complex and unconscious way).

This may seem like a trade-off, but I am starting to envy people who can tell detailed stories about past events, and I want to be good at it.
Is there a way I can train myself to absorb more visual information (because mnemonics doesn't work here I guess)?

I have a friend in college who told me he can remember what had been written on the blackboard during the class and keep it until the exams. Anyone here can do the same?

Disclaimer: I'm not assuming this is type related because I know of intuitives who have extraordinary memories.