Thread: 2020 USA Election

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2020 USA Election

Who will win? Who should win? And is this the most important American election since 1860?

Discuss.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Biden is demented. If there will be debates, Trump will eviscerate him on stage, and he’s already begun to use this in campaign ads. There’s also the sexual assault allegation, which I think Trump would be very happy to hold over him.

I also don’t think people will turn out for Biden. When the primaries were contested, I never once saw someone with a Biden bumper sticker or sign in their yard. I saw one for almost every other candidate. Nobody likes Biden or his policies (pop quiz: can you name any of his policies without looking them up?) He’s the “lesser evil” candidate to the people that will vote for him. That doesn’t provoke a high turnout.
    Last edited by FreelancePoliceman; 04-22-2020 at 08:29 AM.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The German physicist Max Plank once quipped that "science progresses one funeral at a time." I'm coming around to the realisation that, short of some catastrophe that prompts reform out of necessity, this is true for progress in general.

I don't think things are going to change until the younger generations are old enough to take over major institutions like the Senate and the American Bar Association. This is also usually the age at which people begin to take their civic privileges more seriously and actually vote. Bernie lost the primary partially because he relied on youth turnout — a clear demonstration of why politicians are content to ignore, perhaps forced to ignore, the demands of people too apathetic to vote.
    Last edited by xerx; 04-24-2020 at 05:48 AM.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Chomsky lays out the case against Bernie or Bust.