Thread: Your ideal job

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Your ideal job

What do you need to feel satisfied and happy at work?

What's the most important thing for you when choosing occupation or taking a job (money, freedom, creativity, security, admiration, respect, using manual skills or intellectual work, meeting new ppl, feeling useful, helping others etc)?

What's your ideal job or as a way of living (It doesnt matter if its unrealistic)?
    Last edited by Hope; 04-16-2020 at 04:28 PM.

TIM
    IEE-Ne 7w8 Sx/Sp
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    What do you need to feel satisfied and happy at work?

What's your ideal job or the way you'd like to get a way of living (It doesnt matter if its unrealistic)?
    Comfort, basically. And not feeling rushed and basically taking my time.

My ideal job is what i do, making music, and since i'm studying Music Production I also want to produce other artists besides myself.

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

-Not a lot, if any people
    -No heavy lifting except extremely rarely
    -Not much noise

Best job might be work from home

And yeah definitely not feeling rushed

I've talked to people who hated when work was slow. Can't understand that myself.

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I could turn back the clock I’d probably try to teach art at university/ further education level/ even school level. In particular, I’d like to teach printmaking. I currently work in the education sector and am slowly starting to practice more art..4 day week would be nice or at least slightly shorter days..I just find it hard to fit in practical
    stuff like cooking/exercise around work hours/ my fun weekend activities.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't know really- all jobs suck unless you are way high in the company maybe but even then I'd have to really police my own speech probably more than I feel comfortable with because I don't really feel like being a duplicitous whore in that sense. Or I guess I could be like Donald Trump and not care how I was coming across or how I was making other people feel- but life is always much easier if you are immoral and don't have much of a conscience lololol. My IEE cousin said before 'All jobs suck' and I'm inclined to agree with her- for me there probably isn't an ideal or dream job, but a job that sucks less compared to others. I'm not very good at operating str8 man machinery for example lol if I had to operate an excavator or bulldozer I'd probably end up killing other people or myself lol so I just don't want to do something like that, but even if I chase my "dream job" - I don't see how I can completely avoid the Te bureaucracy that I loathe. ((get a ESE secretary named Miranda that I can blame and scapegoat all my problems onto?)) That seems like how it always works anyway....

TIM
    ENFp-C
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I enjoy being a teacher more than anything else I've done, but I would be very happy to work in a creative field (visual artist, voice actor, writer) too. I've done a lot of manual labour jobs, and I dislike them. I'll do them if I have to. I'm not bad at applying the thing to that other thing to do the stuff and make it work, but I don't enjoy those kinds of tasks for long. I'd prefer manual labour to dealing with spreadsheets though. I feel like I'm going to have a panic attack every time I look at a spreadsheet. For a little while I had an accountant type job I did on the side, and it nearly made me cry every time I did it. I'm so afraid of making a mistake on some kind of important tax form or counting things wrong, or just being stupid with math. I'd quadruple check things and still not feel confident I did everything right. That kind of thing is hell on my anxiety. I'll clean an outhouse before ever dealing with that kind of thing again.

Honestly operating heavy machinery doesn't sound unpleasant, but I just don't think I'd be good at it. I doubt it would be long before I got fired from that sort of job for being neglectful of something somehow. I wouldn't freak out like I do staring at pages of slightly different numbers though. I did very seriously consider going into the national guard or coast guard for awhile. Those kind of jobs are very romantic to me. I love the idea of search&rescue type stuff or disaster relief, and I'm big into guns. It's probably just a fantasy though. I had to gain 7 lbs to meet the minimum weight requirement for the national guard, and even that was incredibly difficult. My physicality is naturally elven. I know I can hike for a long time and endure harsh conditions, but I'm simply not strong enough to lift another person off the ground unless they're pretty small themselves. So yeah, those kind of adventurous jobs are appealing on paper, but I don't think I could ever do them.

The main things I want to do involve people and creativity. Currently I'm a teacher, and after this I'm mainly considering working at a Japanese embassy stateside, becoming a diplomat, doing translation or interpreting stuff, or just continuing as a teacher. I love work that primarily consists of talking to people and drinking coffee all day. I think I'd like to keep doing that lol
    “Things always seem fairer when we look back at them, and it is out of that inaccessible tower of the past that Longing leans and beckons.”
    — James Russell Lowell
    猫が生き甲斐

TIM
    SEIZOR
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have an ideal job. I do what I need for money, I don't dream of having any job in particular. I dream of having a lot of money and things but no job.
    Bound upon me, rush upon me, I will overcome you by enduring your onset: whatever strikes against that which is firm and unconquerable merely injures itself by its own violence. Wherefore, seek some soft and yielding object to pierce with your darts.

-Seneca

Handler of Choronzon
    TIM
    Te goblin
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I want:
    1) be able to do most of the work in my head
    2) creative outlet
    3) interact with and help people

What I don’t want:
    1) subordination and lots of demands
    2) physical labor
    3) rigidity and strict schedules

What I get:
    1) subordination and lots of demands
    2) physical labor
    3) rigidity and strict schedules

I don’t even really care about the money omg

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loving the IEI responses..

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My current dream job - olympic figure skating costume designer.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Your inner voice.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I feel like I kinda don't like work no matter how good it is.

What makes it better is a sense of purpose and the ability to experiment. Lack of a sense of urgency or deadline in some cases, structure in others. I like it when I get to order people around in an emergency situation because it makes me feel like the wind, like I'm competently dodging problems and working up a combo. But yeah complicated question.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I like having creativity, freedom and autonomy, I like working with my hands and mind at the same time, being able to move around and stay active.

I dislike rigid rules and micromanagement, though I do like deadlines and perform well with a sense of urgency.

I don't care about the salary too much. I prefer the conditions above be met, and that I like the people where I work, and that I feel recognized and validated in my work. I'm pretty good at saving money anyways and I don't have any expenses like kids, mortage, or a car to pay off so I'll take the work that makes me happy over the one that makes me rich, given the choice.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the most important thing for you when choosing occupation or taking a job (money, freedom, creativity, security, admiration, respect, using manual skills or intellectual work, meeting new ppl, feeling useful, helping others etc)?
    Ideally, my dream job would…

• Pay a lot.
    • Allow some degree of freedom but not “too much” (if the expectations/requirements of the job are too loose, I may end up worrying/stressing over what I should being doing).
    • Allow opportunities for some creativity but not require me to be extremely creative (because I’m not).
    • Provide security.
    • Place me with people who would be encouraging to / appreciative of me. (Not admiration, per say. I mean that would be great too, but I don’t necessarily need someone to have immense respect for me; I just want to be acknowledged/appreciated for my work when I do things well.)
    • Provide opportunities to do intellectual work and never require manual skills.
    • Not involve meeting new people frequently.
    • Make me feel useful/helpful.

Of those, I’d say money, security, encouragement/appreciation, and intellectual work > manual work are probably the most important to me. My future job as a teacher will check off the boxes of security and intellectual work > manual work, but sadly it’s not gonna be great insofar as raking in cash or receiving appreciation. But actually, I think the latter may be a good thing; I need to get out of the student mindset of craving praise / a pat on the back from a teacher whenever I exceed expectations. It certainly doesn’t strike me as a healthy desire to have as an adult. Maybe it’s a matter of improving my intrinsic confidence so that I don’t need to hope/long for external validation.

What's your ideal job or as a way of living (It doesnt matter if its unrealistic)?
    If it doesn’t have to be at all realistic in regard to my talents or anything else, I want to be a screenwriter for TV shows or an author of young adult fantasy novels. Or maybe a travel blogger.

TIM
    SEI 9w1
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No job? Lol honestly I don't really want to work. I just want to stay at home while my rich husband takes care of me.
    But if I had to, a job with flexible deadlines/ work hours would be a dream. Also being able to work from wherever I feel like. Also not being subjected to dressing in business attire (it just doesnt fit who i am as a person. It always makes me feel like I'm a kid playing dress up).

Also a job where I'm helping people (a wide audience) in some way...ideally emotionally. But not too much in person contact. I don't want to be bombarded by people.

For me this falls into the category of some type of writing job. Author, etc.
    Last edited by Aquamarine; 02-11-2022 at 03:34 AM.
    Chronic "grass is always greener" syndrome

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have liked to have become a pilot or at least be in the backseat. That is what I was in to do when joining the Navy though it was co-ed and too much for me to deal with physically and mentally so I told them to just NPQ me. It was a really tough decision but I felt it was for the best. I think I would have made a good Naval Officer, though, otherwise, since I was not in it just for power but with the intention of being good at an exciting job and caring for the Sailors under me.

Other than military service, my ideal job would probably have to do with creating music. But that is not really realistic.

So I currently work for an e-learning software company as a FT tutor for college writing since English was something I always excelled in, I had the job requirements, and it was a step up from retail. Plus, I get to sit on my ass all night doing something I personally find to be easy versus busting my ass all night in retail or working changing shifts stocking meat which is an extremely demanding job physically and is very uncomfortable working in very cold temperatures.

So this job I have so far has been the best as far as comfort goes and the fact it is a flexible company to work for but it also has the perks of being a company that has been in business for almost 30 years. So I don't have to worry about the company folding because it's some start-up nor is it a big company with huge staff, so they can't afford to treat employees like cattle.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

To answer the question better, if it wasn't obvious enough- I've always wanted to be a writer. But the thought of professionally writing kind of makes me very insecure, I do think it's a Te polr thing in a way because it often feels like I can't be myself when I try to write "professionally" but I think, this is a stupid/false/misguided perception because lots of books are published and the people are more or less themselves completely. I think the deeper issue is maybe, I was raised to believe that any success is 'evil' and you're only a good or worthy person unless you are suffering and poor- which is fucked up, but that's kind of how I was raised in a sense and it's hard for me to shake it off.

/Oprah begins to listen intently to my story and puts her hand underneathe her chin.

Sadly I think my family was just so wrong and a person being homeless doesn't secretly give them special empathy powers- it just coldly and cruelly makes them homeless. You know? My dad had a job but didn't have a lot of money- and he would always tell me stories how he had to live with his siblings in one small room and didn't have his own room and he had a mentally retarded brother he had to take care for but being poor and downtrodden like that made him 'decent'- so it was like this deep fear my family would disown me if I was ever successful, so that's a big reason why I don't live up to my potential despite how intelligent I am. ((sorry for being cringely honest here- but this place is like free therapy so <3)) I'm like a mother fucking genius, I should have a really high paying job now in the city or something and look down on small town rural folk but I can't do that.

and you know the whole 'People that have good careers they like are evil and wrong and should be destroyed because how dare they have a good life when so much of the world is suffering, Jesus didn't have a job except loving other people' thing etc

And I probably do have a "victim mentality" - the problem is the person who pointed that out to me a lot was a cruel narcissistic bitch who had an offender mentality and she cruelly got off on trying to make me feel bad for being gay because she thought it was morally wrong or whatever even though she wanted to be raped by black guys.

She's dead now but I realize Joan Rivers inspired me. EIE Jew. She's offensive and doesn't sugar coat shit but it also comes off funny and light-hearted which is kinda my style. Provocative, rude, but also with the intent of making people laugh in the Fe way. Delta-ish books like 'chicken soup for the soul' is something I would never write probably unless I was brutally making fun of it- although for many years I've lived with people who took the books very seriously and it inspired them.

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm @Shazaam I guess we needed an SLE to teach us how the real
    world works..I nearly had an SLE boyfriend at uni..he became a printmaking tutor for a while afterwards and now he’s a high school art teacher…I really badly needed some guidance at uni/ graduate age..currently I work in an academic library. I’m actually going to be moving to the nice big library soon which will be a bit different. Still on a low salary but it’s enough for the moment. If I want to get a mortgage I’d have to go at least one job up (likely more..) The next job up seems ok..but I think working in the actual library is more appealing for the moment.

I remember I considered trying to work towards getting a job in TV- any old job just so I could work in the industry. Maybe that would have been cool and better money..if I did have more money what would I do with it? Honestly, I think I’d save for retirement, illness too..and yeah more holidays/ a nice house would be nice..more comfort and freedom..but as it is I’m broke and I’ll have to make do with art and local nature and weird librarian colleagues
    Last edited by Bethanyclaire; 02-11-2022 at 10:46 PM.

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh also, I’m not a fan of irregular hours. Atm I have to do some evenings and occasional weekends but I don’t think I could teach in an adult college for example where they work random hours..

TIM
    EIE-N 4w3 486 So/Sp?
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Playing music that moves people and/or inspires them to something beautiful, whether it's my own music or somebody else's executed well. Most days I feel like I'd be fine doing this for change on a street corner as long as it affects the people listening.
    This is the imposthume of much wealth and peace, That inward breaks, and shows no cause without Why the man dies.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are many things to consider ... lack of toxic coworkers is a very big one. I also look for roles that are big and impactful... it seems to fulfill some need for meaning and excitement... irrelevant, mindless drudgery is something I don't want. Respect is a nice side effect but I don't think that's my main motivation.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have my ideal job right now, I can show up late and nobody notices, I can slack off in the bathroom and people barely notice, it's part time, it pays the bills, sometimes you can get sent home early and it's braindead labor. Now is it what I want 2 do for the rest of my life? No. But it works good for right now.

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Somewhat attainable: A fully-remote, overpaid corporate accounting job where I can coast off of my prior experience/credentials and deliver satisfactory work while playing video games on company time

In another life: Wealthy musician or fashion designer
    Last edited by Averroes; 03-06-2022 at 03:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t have an ideal job — I don’t aspire for careerism, and I don’t want my job to be my entire identity. I just want to be able to provide for myself and do whatever I want, whenever I feel like it, without being obligated to anything.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My ideal job would be a software engineer.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aramas View Post
    -Not a lot, if any people
    -No heavy lifting except extremely rarely
    -Not much noise

Best job might be work from home

And yeah definitely not feeling rushed

I've talked to people who hated when work was slow. Can't understand that myself.
    If you've ever worked a job and had a slow day I'm sure you would understand. It sounds weird until you're standing there, yea you are getting paid, but your doing absolutely nothing except watching the clock and 5 minutes starts to feel like an hour and a half.