User Tag List

Thread: Hey. New to socionics- it's a bit scary..?

Banned
    TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hey. New to socionics- it's a bit scary..?

Hey Discovered socionics a few months ago. Ended up reading things on this forum- grateful to come across people's ideas. I wasn't sure about getting involved in discussion as I wasn't sure how much I really wanted to get into socionics. But the more it scares me (and fascinates me) I'm starting to think that the best thing to do is to talk about it and try to understand it. Any other new or old members find it all a bit terrifying..? I'm IEI btw.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I find the predictability of strangers, once I get an idea of their type, reassuring.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome. And know this, kid: that type that sounded cool when you read the description? That's never you

Banned
    TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

think my reply disappeared. Thanks guys. Yeah in the long run it should really help with building relationships. Just giving me existential thoughts atm and it's pretty peculiar starting to notice the same traits everywhere in people. Look forward to embracing it all I am a pretty average IEI, pretty sure haha.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- Read everything you can find: descriptions, relationships, duality, dcnh, watch videos of types.
    - Then forget everything and just observe people and your relationships over a long time.

Socionics is a natural phenomenon. The descriptions may be more or less accurate, but the reality behind it is solid.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Banned
    TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank Tallmo. Yeah I think need to read for sure. Atm I just have vague ideas and it's confusing. I like the idea of it becoming natural and not something distracting.

Reyne- Um I guess it's because I feel a bit scared that I will start reading things into people that aren't there? Like I'll be assuming things about them because of stuff I've read? But I guess doing LOTS of reading to get a wide ranging over view will help with that. I've also found it strange not being able to talk about socionics. It's a lot to discover and keep to yourself.

I guess I don't have great self esteem too (although working on it) and socionics sort of shows you a way to reach that potential..and now I have less excuse not to try haha..which means effort and that makes me anxious! I had an undiagnosed anxiety disorder for a long time so a lot of the IEI problems just really stand out to me. I struggled for a long time, without talking about things and my coping mechanism was really to just be grateful for what I had and yet still believe in a wonderful future. Now I'm sort of better I have to start living that future- I love the idea of using socionics to help me find great relationships and motivate me to do things

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bethanyrose View Post
    I guess I don't have great self esteem too (although working on it) and socionics sort of shows you a way to reach that potential..and now I have less excuse not to try haha..which means effort and that makes me anxious! I had an undiagnosed anxiety disorder for a long time so a lot of the IEI problems just really stand out to me. I struggled for a long time, without talking about things and my coping mechanism was really to just be grateful for what I had and yet still believe in a wonderful future. Now I'm sort of better I have to start living that future- I love the idea of using socionics to help me find great relationships and motivate me to do things
    Don't be afraid to get into Socionics. Socionics and enneagram have helped me SO MUCH in terms of self improvement. I had (have?) social anxiety and a lot of self-image problems, and all of it has helped so much with it.
    Anyway, don't be afraid to post and write whatever you want to on this forum. Don't take everyone or yourself too seriously on here

Also, remember to either quote or tag the person you're replying to, or else they won't get a notification.

I feel a bit scared that I will start reading things into people that aren't there? Like I'll be assuming things about them because of stuff I've read? But I guess doing LOTS of reading to get a wide ranging over view will help with that. I've also found it strange not being able to talk about socionics. It's a lot to discover and keep to yourself.

as for this, you probably will do this a bit at first. but, the longer you stick with it, the more balanced you'll become about it. remember, Socionics is not reality but simply a tool. Use it as necessary, but keep your eyes open still.

Banned
    TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I click reply on your post Citronnade does that mean you get a notification? I'll have to figure out the tagging..

Ta..yep I've had the self-image stuff too- physical and mental. I don't have any IEI people in my life atm, pretty wild to find loads of you here in one place!

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Yeah I think need to read for sure.
    read at 1st
    http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-.../dp/0967990769
    and X chapter of
    http://www.amazon.com/Psychological-.../dp/0691018138

to Socionics relates only theory of Augustinavichiute and Jung
    anything else may be thought as too doubtful to use it. same is with some ideas of these 2 authors, among which are Reinins traits
    the more basic and reasonable theory - the more trust to it

to make the initial study of Socionics not by books but random articles in English sites will make a good mess of doubtful ideas. when you'll try to use it - you'll notice "it does not work". with all that mess you will reject the correct basic ideas of Socionics too. also take into account - there many (>50%) of mistypings as in common people are very incompetent in the types practice, even if they'd used correct theory. there are no objectively good study courses, it's all chaotic now

Banned
    TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    read at 1st
    http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-.../dp/0967990769
    and X chapter of
    http://www.amazon.com/Psychological-.../dp/0691018138

to Socionics relates only theory of Augustinavichiute and Jung
    anything else may be thought as too doubtful to use it. same is with some ideas of these 2 authors, among which are Reinins traits
    the more basic and reasonable theory - the more trust to it

to make the initial study of Socionics not by books but random articles in English sites will make a good mess of doubtful ideas. when you'll try to use it - you'll notice "it does not work". with all that mess you will reject the correct basic ideas of Socionics too. also take into account - there many (>50%) of mistypings as in common people are very incompetent in the types practice, even if they'd used correct theory. there are no objectively good study courses, it's all chaotic now
    Thank you very much! There is so much to read and it's great to have something simple to start with. Otherwise my IEI brain is overwhelmed at the thought of breaking down all the information out there haha. Yes I have made lots of mistakes already but knew it was worth sticking to. I've done the whole thing of thinking I can type people based on the stereotypes (which seemed convincing at first, more so than mbti) but having read some of the discussions about celebrity types I can see it's not easy! I actually find that reassuring now as it shows how much variation there is between types and reminds me to see the uniqueness in a person before getting caught up in how I can use socionics to relate to them.

I do think I feel better now, like socionics can help me to appreciate people more rather than misunderstand them! Also if I can study it and learn, then I do feel that it might bring me great comfort. Since developing an anxiety disorder, I've found it difficult to push myself intellectually and this caused me a lot of regret. Socionics makes me feel so much less pressure in that regard- it can lead me to the books, philosophies, ideas that are right for me or not 'right' for me (but that's ok!). I'm not sure what I'm trying to say I guess that socionics can make you feel like there are just lots of patterns in the world to unravel and that is something fun to explore, where as before it was making me feel like 'we are all just selfish and don't care about each other and life is meaningless in that case' haha.

TIM
    SLE-Ti-N
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome. @bethanyrose

If you dont mind me commenting. You sound Ne more than Ni

e.g. "I actually find that reassuring now as it shows how much variation there is between types and reminds me to see the uniqueness in a person"

or "lots of patterns in the world to unravel and that is something fun to explore, where as before it was making me feel like 'we are all just selfish""

"ideas that are right for me or not 'right' for me (but that's ok!)"

"grateful to come across people's ideas"

Also you come off as having a load of mechanical Fi role

like "can help me to appreciate people more rather than misunderstand them"

"I feel a bit scared that I will start reading things into people that aren't there? Like I'll be assuming things about them because of stuff I've read"

And then this is a mix of the two and Fe seeking: "I love the idea of using socionics to help me find great relationships"

Banned
    TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyvic81 View Post
    Welcome. @bethanyrose

If you dont mind me commenting. You sound Ne more than Ni

e.g. "I actually find that reassuring now as it shows how much variation there is between types and reminds me to see the uniqueness in a person"

or "lots of patterns in the world to unravel and that is something fun to explore, where as before it was making me feel like 'we are all just selfish""

"ideas that are right for me or not 'right' for me (but that's ok!)"

"grateful to come across people's ideas"

Also you come off as having a load of mechanical Fi role

like "can help me to appreciate people more rather than misunderstand them"

"I feel a bit scared that I will start reading things into people that aren't there? Like I'll be assuming things about them because of stuff I've read"

And then this is a mix of the two and Fe seeking: "I love the idea of using socionics to help me find great relationships"
    nah, def IEI. I would probably identify as enneagram 9 though.

TIM
    SLE-Ti-N
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nah, def IEI. I would probably identify as enneagram 9 though.
    OK cool, that was my input just in case it'd help & sorry if it was rude to barge in here and retype you lol.

Banned
    TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyvic81 View Post
    OK cool, that was my input just in case it'd help & sorry if it was rude to barge in here and retype you lol.
    haha no probs! I've actually read up a fair-ish amount. I do sometimes wonder if I'm a bit of a weird IEI though. Maybe I tap into Ne and Fi or something. Something to discuss later. Cheers!