Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Jungian Books

Has anyone read any good Jungian books? I have some queued but I haven't read any recently, and I haven't read many at all besides some of Jung's essays and Gulenko. What's probably more interesting than Jung's psychological types which he didn't work on much in his life would be the archetypes. Most of my books I'd like to read are about his archetypes rather than psychological types, though of course the one called Psychological Types is a classic and reading the original socionics, MBTI, and even Gulenko books also seems worthwhile.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading Jung has changed my view on him a lot. I just see it as real psychology and study of human life. He is challenging but he is not as incomprehensible as some people think. He is also a lot more down-to-earth and realistic than the common view of him as a "mystic" or some "alternative psychology". He has been able to capture the psyche itself as an object of study - that's what's so unique - a very inpopular approach today.
    I started by reading von Franz because she is more pedagogic than Jung. Jungian books can be worth reading for those who can stand a heavy Ti approach.

By Jung himself:

Modern man in search of a soul
    The undiscovered Self (misleading titel, he talks more about the state of humanity and its psychological development)
    Memories, dreams, reflections (his self-biography)

And by Marie-Louise von Franz:

The problem of the Puer Aeternus
    Alchemy - and introduction to the symbolism and the psychology

By Erich Neumann:

The Origins and History of Consciousness

By several authors:

Man and his symbols
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)