Thread: IEIs and productivity

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default IEIs and productivity

I really wish I could be more productive! I've always been really ambitious and success driven, I want to earn my place in this society and I want to be appreciated and noticed for my abilities. But, I can't make myself work. I have these spurs of inspiration that usually motivate me to work, but they don't last very long. I'm mostly inactive and I feel a lack of energy and motivation to do anything. I get really easily lost in my thoughts and I start to daydream to the point I just disconnect from reality. Usually, after days of being inactive, I feel guilty enough to push myself into doing some more work, but that doesn't last long. I can push myself for a few days, or a week, but sooner or later, I either slip into being phlegmatic and lazy or get depressed and drained. Either way, I always end up being inactive.

I know this is a common issue for IEI because of low Te and Se. My question is... Is there any way in this universe, to make myself more energetic? I really hate how inactive I can be, but I've failed in dealing with this terribly. Firm regime and rules, don't work for me, even when I try to apply them on myself. My partner tries to help me by motivating me and asking me about how I progress with my work, but that's not enough either.

Feeling guilty about being lazy is even worse, 'cause that makes me feel worthless and depressed, that even leads to being more inactive... it's a circle.

Can an IEI ever become productive?

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I don't know how you can motivate yourself to work, because I have the same problem. But here are some examples of productive IEI's whom I know.

1. My female cousin. She dog-sits for rich people. They call her to watch their dog when they go on vacations. She loves dogs (they are simple and faithful, like SLE's), so she goes out to find love and she can work by sitting in a different rich family's house all day long and just read or play with the dog. Her customers book her time weeks in advance, and the dogs love her.

2. My IEI hairdresser. He brings out the beauty in every one of his customers, and his customers book his time weeks in advance so all he does is go into his salon, open the windows, check the orchids, turn on the nebulizer, adjust the picture frames or decide to change the pictures, and people show up automatically. He makes women beautiful, he gets to pretend that he's gay with a lot of them, and they write him large checks and are grateful.

3. The IEI therapist mother of an ESI I know. She has a practice wherein she listens to people and gives them advice. People book her time weeks in advance, so all she has to do is show up and listen.

If you can't motivate yourself, one trick that I've read about and which I find works about half the time is to overbook yourself. You have a series of unpleasant tasks to do and you do the least unpleasant one first, while putting the rest off for a while. However, the first one got done. Magic. Now give yourself a treat, take a walk, drink some coffee, then decide which one is the next least painful. You don't have to do the absolute worst one right away. Or maybe ever.

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    I don't know how you can motivate yourself to work, because I have the same problem. But here are some examples of productive IEI's whom I know.

1. My female cousin. She dog-sits for rich people. They call her to watch their dog when they go on vacations. She loves dogs (they are simple and faithful, like SLE's), so she goes out to find love and she can work by sitting in a different rich family's house all day long and just read or play with the dog. Her customers book her time weeks in advance, and the dogs love her.

2. My IEI hairdresser. He brings out the beauty in every one of his customers, and his customers book his time weeks in advance so all he does is go into his salon, open the windows, check the orchids, turn on the nebulizer, adjust the picture frames or decide to change the pictures, and people show up automatically. He makes women beautiful, he gets to pretend that he's gay with a lot of them, and they write him large checks and are grateful.

3. The IEI therapist mother of an ESI I know. She has a practice wherein she listens to people and gives them advice. People book her time weeks in advance, so all she has to do is show up and listen.

If you can't motivate yourself, one trick that I've read about and which I find works about half the time is to overbook yourself. You have a series of unpleasant tasks to do and you do the least unpleasant one first, while putting the rest off for a while. However, the first one got done. Magic. Now give yourself a treat, take a walk, drink some coffee, then decide which one is the next least painful. You don't have to do the absolute worst one right away. Or maybe ever.
    I agree with the overbook thing. Usually, when I feel more energized than usual, I want everything done right away, so I do overbook myself and keep myself on the run. Having a lot of things I need to get done actually energizes me and I feel good and more motivated when I'm busy. The thing is... I tend to really overdo it. Like, I exhaust myself completely working for 12 hours one day and I have no energy for the rest of the days, so my performance can go from 120 % one day to 10 % the other day... Being moody doesn't help either.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I mentioned this subject in my description and I personally know very productive IEIs:

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...ription-by-I-O

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The productive IEIs I know are related to Se people in some way. A friend of mine who's an artist has an Se mother, another who runs a business of rental of furniture is married to Se woman. He works from home. Set his office in there and use the living room and garage to pile furniture. I also know one female IEI who's mother of two and married to an SEE that she helps in some way with his projects.

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    The productive IEIs I know are related to Se people in some way. A friend of mine who's an artist has an Se mother, another who runs a business of rental of furniture is married to Se woman. He works from home. Set his office in there and use the living room and garage to pile furniture. I also know one female IEI who's mother of two and married to an SEE that she helps in some way with his projects.
    My mother's ESI, but she has basically zero tolerance for laziness and slacking, so her method is to shame and humiliate people, who are like that and that really isn't very helpful. Maybe Se doms are different.

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fay View Post
    My mother's ESI, but she has basically zero tolerance for laziness and slacking, so her method is to shame and humiliate people, who are like that and that really isn't very helpful. Maybe Se doms are different.
    I'm not sure, but I think the mother of my friend is ESI-Se. She was a guerrilla girl and his brother is an SLE military. He moved right after finishing hs. One of his reason was that when he was at home, his mom was always nagging. That forced him to become self sufficient soon and leave. His brother left soon too to enter in the military school. So maybe what you describe is part of the process. I can say that my friend is one of the "happiest" and conscious IEI I've known, in the sense that he has traveled more and enjoyed his life. I think he's married now with another ESI woman. In contrast, I know one with Si parents that's 40yo, who's neurotic, unhappy, inconsiderate and immature and never left home. These Si parents always tried to give and do what was best for her according their own perspective ofc, which was basically unconditional benefits with few rules and limited opposition.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Fay Why do you want to be more productive? Aren’t you already an artist? That kind of work isn’t really affected by the same kinds of productivity cycles that others are.

Usually “pushing to meet deadlines” and “creativity” go opposite ways.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it’s simple, make yourself feel more pain not doing it, then doing it. No pain, no gain.
    No? That’s no the answer you wanted to hear? You wanted to hear something easy and magical?

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks @GuavaDrunk @Tommy and @Aylen . I love how colorful the bottom of my post looks now.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

What causes these spurs of inspiration, do you know? Perhaps it would be interesting for you to be able to tap into whatever causes these spurs of inspiration at will.

Quote Originally Posted by Fay
    I have these spurs of inspiration that usually motivate me to work, but they don't last very long.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fay View Post
    I really wish I could be more productive! I've always been really ambitious and success driven, I want to earn my place in this society and I want to be appreciated and noticed for my abilities. But, I can't make myself work. I have these spurs of inspiration that usually motivate me to work, but they don't last very long. I'm mostly inactive and I feel a lack of energy and motivation to do anything. I get really easily lost in my thoughts and I start to daydream to the point I just disconnect from reality. Usually, after days of being inactive, I feel guilty enough to push myself into doing some more work, but that doesn't last long. I can push myself for a few days, or a week, but sooner or later, I either slip into being phlegmatic and lazy or get depressed and drained. Either way, I always end up being inactive.

I know this is a common issue for IEI because of low Te and Se. My question is... Is there any way in this universe, to make myself more energetic? I really hate how inactive I can be, but I've failed in dealing with this terribly. Firm regime and rules, don't work for me, even when I try to apply them on myself. My partner tries to help me by motivating me and asking me about how I progress with my work, but that's not enough either.

Feeling guilty about being lazy is even worse, 'cause that makes me feel worthless and depressed, that even leads to being more inactive... it's a circle.

Can an IEI ever become productive?
    Productivity has nothing to do with your sociotype. All types can be, or not be, productive, i.e., they all have the same amount of potential for being productive, just in different ways and domains. What you're describing is IP temperament — general idleness (or conservation of energy) is our natural default state of being, with spurs of deliberate action and bouts of highly concentrated energy. The tendency towards detachment and internalization is often accompanied by a certain lack of initiative and motivation, and the more you fail at life and are unsuccessful in your pursuit of things you care about, the more this gets exacerbated and the more it is likely to lead to depression. Or at least that's how I see it.
    Last edited by Park; 03-29-2020 at 01:13 PM.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbbds View Post
    @Fay Why do you want to be more productive? Aren’t you already an artist? That kind of work isn’t really affected by the same kinds of productivity cycles that others are.

Usually “pushing to meet deadlines” and “creativity” go opposite ways.
    Of course, I'm not talking about traditional productivity per se. I'd like to be more productive with my creative work, which means I'd like to finally be able to finish my novel and an album, but I do not invest as much time into it as I would like to, and it's difficult to find motivation within.

Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ave View Post
    What causes these spurs of inspiration, do you know? Perhaps it would be interesting for you to be able to tap into whatever causes these spurs of inspiration at will.
    Well, they actually usually come after a long time of being inactive, when I get tired of not doing anything enough to get angry at myself. But that's not very helpful or practical.

TIM
    heartless
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have poetry books, stuff I like and I will just open one and read a line or two, it generaly helps. Bright colors and pretty shiny things can also uplift my mood, along with eating enough. I need a good mood, allowing myself the "daydream pause" between lines, words or whatever, I need the good moment too. This last thing happens more often if I'm fine with it not being here, letting it free to come and go instead of running after it, because when you run after one you can miss the next. Sometimes I sit with the tools and it happens, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it wakes me up in the middle of the night, sometimes it slips away because I have no means to give it life. Somedays seem magical, be careful with who you share them with, they could ruin it for days, weeks, months, or even years.
    I suggest mostly self-love, patience, surounding yourself with things that make you feel right. IEI are not practical or on high drive, ride the wave of who you are.