Benji: SLE

TIM
    SLE-C; E864 SX-SO
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Joe might be LIE-Ni.

He frequently mentions "reading people wrong in the past," a hallmark of low D Fi. He reminds me of myself from the standpoint that he's deeply fascinated by people and their intentions/motivations, in part, because he doesn't naturally get them and sees this as a deficit, and therefore tries to compensate using other tactics. He fills in the gap not by way of high D Fi and automatically modulating psychological distances in a way that grants him intimate access to another's perspective, but thru covertly accumulating, extracting and analyzing behavioral data (centered around the degree to which actions make sense) via technological infrastructures (i.e., the internet, social media, phone tapping, cyber stalking, etc...) that he uses for his own "gain," which is the show's attempt to critique the dangers of unhinged surveillance capitalism.

Joe can't accurately discern to what degree Beck (ESI-Se) actually likes him and what she truly wants/is looking for; he wavers back and forth and allows Benji (SEE) to sow doubt in his mind concerning her character and what she's all about--essentially labeling her a hyper sexual, social climbing gold digger (the truth is a bit more complex than that). Because LIEs don't have proper Fi discernment and are inclined to interact at close psychological distances, it's not uncommon for us to prematurely ascribe "goodness" where there should be more ethical nuance and moderation--subconsciously, LIEs seek out those with clear and consistent moral principles. Joe projects this onto Beck and is confused/taken aback when her actions don't mesh with his expectations.

I get that EIEs are Fi ignoring, but they're still strong at it; how likely is it that they struggle to discern the motives/intentions of others?

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

From the trailer alone, Joe seems ILI to me. I really can't see him as an LIE.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    At one point I literally could read the characters thought process as I was watching season 1. ILI could check out.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Remiel View Post
    At one point I literally could read the characters thought process as I was watching season 1. ILI could check out.
    I've only seen the trailer, but one of my oldest and best friends is ILI and I was basically watching the guy in the trailer live out my friend's life (both the good and the very fucked up parts) and I could see that his GF is ESI, which slightly pissed me off, but that's a different topic. I don't have to see Season 1. I already know how the guy is, as a human being. He isn't exactly like every one of the ILI's I know, but he cleaves really, really close to my buddy. They even look alike, but that is no surprise. Any person who can inhabit a role like that is probably the same type as the character. Or, they inform the role with their own character.

I wish someone would make a series about LIE's and represent us, not as our caricature, but rather as we really are.

TIM
    SLE-C; E864 SX-SO
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not as discernible in the trailer (where he does seem rather low energy and inert), but what gets in the way of an ILI typing for me is the fact that 1.) he's not Fe PoLR/has sufficient enough warmth, diplomacy, charm and social grace when necessary--the default, natural state of most strong Te valuers is dead pan, dry and monotone (especially Fe PoLR types), and this is made apparent in Joe because the viewer has access to his unforced internal monologue. But as far as our interaction with others are concerned, those of us with stronger Fe are capable of a few more tones and colors, which Joe also possesses and uses to blend in and go undetected. Also, 2.) he can be a bit impulsive, reckless, risky and has a decent reaction time, as in he has respectable Se maneuverability when the situation calls for it. Though he is future oriented, his plans are more broad and flexible than they are rigid and meticulously plotted.

TIM
    Your daul
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep in mind he is not a real person but I agree with LIE.

His last GF is hard to type tho. She did a 180 and ruined all my ideas of her.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by COOL AND MANLY View Post
    Keep in mind he is not a real person but I agree with LIE.

His last GF is hard to type tho. She did a 180 and ruined all my ideas of her.

Goddamm writers. Each one wants to inject his or her own crappy and ill-informed BS into the pure vision.

TIM
    SLE-C; E864 SX-SO
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've only seen the trailer, but one of my oldest and best friends is ILI and I was basically watching the guy in the trailer live out my friend's life (both the good and the very fucked up parts) and I could see that his GF is ESI, which slightly pissed me off, but that's a different topic. I don't have to see Season 1. I already know how the guy is, as a human being. He isn't exactly like every one of the ILI's I know, but he cleaves really, really close to my buddy. They even look alike, but that is no surprise. Any person who can inhabit a role like that is probably the same type as the character. Or, they inform the role with their own character.

I wish someone would make a series about LIE's and represent us, not as our caricature, but rather as we really are.
    Penn Badgley, the actor that plays Joe, is LIE-Ni and Filatova agrees--it's so perfect that it speaks for itself. And I personally cosign this because I'm in this VI tribe.