Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Bent between a couple types, SEI, LII, IEI, maybe something else

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Bent between a couple types, SEI, LII, IEI, maybe something else

    - I have delved into Typology for about a year now and something I have noticed is the glaringly obvious inconsistencies with it as a whole and I might have a general idea as to why that is. It maybe quite similar to Astronomy or any Theoretical system that attempts gain results via analyzing bits of data to try and attempt to form a conclusion. I think that Socionics and Mbti almost do the opposite process though, they take take whats already been observed and try to build an understanding of the process that leads to a fixed conclusion. Anyway I just typed this to see if you could identify any specific writing patterns that might mean something, although i'm not sure if that's is a credible method in itself since I imagine given the right scenario any type could appear to be anything over text.

    - SEI was a consideration at one point due to vocal typing session I had with someone and I can't say I was entirely convinced of most of the reason as to why. He said I was to expressive for an LII which seems to be a bit of a backwards argument since imagine you flip that the other way around and say that someone would be to externally arrogant to be an SEI. The point I'm making is that you can't come to a conclusion based off one singular aspect of an individual that way, that almost breaching into Astrology territory, I don't have anything against astrology just wanted to preface that.

    -Most my thoughts and the possibility of me being an SEI came through a couple reasons which I contemplated alone. I'm quite emotionally sensitive. I also have HSP. However here is the paradox they come in uncontrollable and tedious burst that I try to repress and any time it externally manifests it's usually extremely destructive and explosive. For example anytime I get some sort of physical attraction towards a girl my near immediate respone is to rationalize those thoughts as hormonal teenage imbalances, sometimes anytime I encounter any single individual I can get involluntarilly internally hateful towards them and then instantly shift to being alright with them shortly after they say some sort of positive message, generally followed by some weird chemical rush, probably seretonin or something I don't know. I'm probably an Alpha type but what variant I don't know. I guess the only way to know for sure is to look at the grey matter in my brain or lobotomy. I am pretty sensitive to the emotions around me but I never try and actively welcome them in, they're generally more or less overwhelming and I try to shut them out and I always have an adverse physical side effect to them.

    -I've used to be an indie game developer for a time but juggling between the conceptual side of code and actual coding was always difficult since it always interfered with the more pleasurable side of the process which was just creating a story and an ideal world to dumb into the digital world. I suppose I felt limited and everything conjured up in my mind was never applicable to real space and most of the energy was spent in my head then anywhere else.

    -I suppose I'll just leave this text hear and ask for your insight and answer any of your questions.

  2. #2
    FreelancePoliceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Maizistan
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    1,001
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This doesn't give much information about yourself, but I'll do my best.

    Your general thought process, especially in your first paragraph, seems to me to indicate that though you value Ti, it isn't your base/creative (so, not LII). I'll do my best to explain further and perhaps better if you like, but your explanatory process involves many more generalities than strong Ti is happy with, and is over-explicit (like a slightly buzzed person trying to walk in a straight line, movements are planned too methodically; a sober person generally doesn't give much thought to how they walk).

    What you say about being emotionally sensitive, having a weird automatic dislike of people, and being overwhelmed by emotional impressions + being physically affected by them is all stuff my SEI girlfriend has talked about quite a bit, but to be fair, I don't know much about how IEIs experience the world. But I'd tally all these as points in favor of SEI, personally.

    Why do you think you're an Alpha type?
    I was a Democratic caucus. Have you ever been to a caucus? No you haven't. You're a lying dog-faced pony soldier.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm really only considering being Alpha since most people have stated that. I've looked at the Ego for SEI and I don't really connect with the description of SI Ego. I know it's just a description but I don't identify with anything that is really hands nor am I all that sensory related naturally, from what I have seen Si Socionics is actually kind of similar to Se in MBTI, My sense of Aesthetic is really awful and something I actively try to avoid, I don't feel obligated to my family at all and only loosely to my mother, I think that being bonded to your family strictly due to the fact that you have genetic inheritance is quite superficial. It isn't that my family relations are strained it's just that I haven't really ever felt a connection to them. To give further clarification on emotions(I was in a rush so I made my post short) They're completely random and I may have exaggerated on being physically affected, when I refer to physically affected I just look away or make small visual cues. In the MBTI typing system I usually get typed as an INTP,INTJ, or ENTP in vocal typing when interacting with others. I'm just getting into Socionics. I can understand your reasoning for Fe though. I think the descriptions are a bit to generalizing though, maybe you can give me your experience with SEI's.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    TIM
    ESI
    Posts
    103
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I agree that you're not Ti ego based on what you've written here. Definitely not Ti-leading, so not LII (or LSI). Probably not xLE / Ti-creative either.

  5. #5
    FreelancePoliceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Maizistan
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    1,001
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaCipher View Post
    I'm really only considering being Alpha since most people have stated that. I've looked at the Ego for SEI and I don't really connect with the description of SI Ego. I know it's just a description but I don't identify with anything that is really hands nor am I all that sensory related naturally, from what I have seen Si Socionics is actually kind of similar to Se in MBTI, My sense of Aesthetic is really awful and something I actively try to avoid, I don't feel obligated to my family at all and only loosely to my mother, I think that being bonded to your family strictly due to the fact that you have genetic inheritance is quite superficial. It isn't that my family relations are strained it's just that I haven't really ever felt a connection to them. To give further clarification on emotions(I was in a rush so I made my post short) They're completely random and I may have exaggerated on being physically affected, when I refer to physically affected I just look away or make small visual cues. In the MBTI typing system I usually get typed as an INTP,INTJ, or ENTP in vocal typing when interacting with others. I'm just getting into Socionics. I can understand your reasoning for Fe though. I think the descriptions are a bit to generalizing though, maybe you can give me your experience with SEI's.
    My girlfriend's SEI. What do you want to know? And why do you think people have typed you as an Alpha?

    Re. Si and sensoryness, I don't think it should be conflated so much with Se as it often is. I don't think Si is very much connected to awareness of one's physical presence in the world, or if it is, it's quite different than the sense in which Se is. My SEI is actually very clumsy -- she'll be lost in thought or talking one second, and the next will be splayed out and crying on the ground as her phone breaks for the third time that year. At times it seems she carries herself incredibly deliberately; I honestly can't describe this very well, but she seems to "glide" as she moves (in contrast to her dual ILEs, who seem to continually misjudge the effort required to move their limbs), but at other times the same impression of deliberativeness contributes to this sense of clumsiness -- she will confidently and cheerfully step with bare feet onto an open binder spine right in front of her.
    I was a Democratic caucus. Have you ever been to a caucus? No you haven't. You're a lying dog-faced pony soldier.

  6. #6
    Rusal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    TIM
    SEI-Si
    Posts
    68
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think can be tricky and not easily identifiable when young because at that age you can abuse your body with relative impunity. You'll be pulling all-nighters and not eat for hours and just be OK with it.

  7. #7
    Ajna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    SEI and LII belong to the Alpha quadra and they value Ne and Si.
    IEI belongs to the Beta quadra and they value Ni and Se.
    So start maybe by sorting that out?

    Here's a post I made recently about Si/Se (but I'm comparing ILE and LII - they both value Si) so you can have a better idea about Se and Si and which one do you value.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajna View Post

    Let's compare ILE/IEE vs LII/EII sensing:

    () Se - active acquisition, control, and organization of visible territory and objects. ENXp 3rd function; INXj 4th function.
    + Se - retention of power, insubordination, defense, cover, countermove, counterattack, firmness, defense of one's interests, strong-willed pressure from the bottom upwards, strength, will, possession;
    − Se - capture of power, subjugation, offensive attack, initiative, perseverance, determination, demands, strong-willed pressure from top downwards, the assertion of own interests at the expense of others, overthrowing, appropriating, weakness, passivity;
    Types that value Se (leading/creative/activating/suggesting, all Betas and Gammas) are much more comfortable with direct behavior aimed at making an immediate impact. This may at times be perceived as abrasive, particularly by types who do not value Se. There is usually a competitive edge to this style of group interaction, resulting in a more intense atmosphere than that of introverted sensing Si-valuing quadras. They appreciate contemplating possibilities only if they feel like they stand to gain something from it, or it has a perceived potential impact on "the real world".
    Unlike Si, which is about one's subjective sensory experience (how intense or enjoyable it is), Se is about achieving an object of desire. It gives one the ability to influence, bend, and push situations and people in order to achieve such an object, rather than to enjoy the situation one is in.


    () Si - a focus on one's environment and how it's affecting one's physical state. ENXp 5th function; INXj 6th function.
    + Si - pleasant sensations, comfort, convenience, harmony, beauty, attraction, leisure, health, relaxation, well-being, pleasure, enjoyment, sensitivity;
    − Si - unpleasant thrill sensations, discomfort, inconvenience, disharmony, ugliness, unattractiveness, work, fatigue, stress, illness, suffering, pain
    In contrast to extroverted sensing Se, Si is related to following one's own needs instead of focusing on some externally-driven conception of what is necessary to acquire or achieve. So, whereas Se ego types feel capable to evaluate how justified others' preferences are, Si ego types will try to adjust to them in any way possible (given that it does not extremely affect their own comfort), wishing to minimize conflict. In contrast to introverted intuition Ni, Si is about direct interaction and unity (or discord) with one's surroundings, rather than abstract process and causal links.
    Types that value Si (leading/creative/activating/suggestive types according to Model A, all Alphas and Deltas) prefer to spend their time doing enjoyable activities rather than straining themselves to achieve goals. They like to believe that if activities are done with enjoyment, people will give them more effort and time, and also becoming more skilled at what they are doing in the long run. They believe that goals should suit people's intrinsic needs rather than shaped by the demands and constraints of the external world, and so do not try to force others into doing things they don't want to do. They also try to be easygoing and pleasant, preferring peaceful coexistence to conflict, except when their personal well-being or comfort is directly at stake.



    Se as Role (ILE/IEE ENXp)
    The individual tends to criticize himself for being less disciplined and organized than he should be, and typically tries to improve himself in this area, with very limited success. He is almost unable to make himself (or anyone else, for that matter) do things that they do not want to do, and is more likely to abandon a situation where people don't want to do anything rather than figure out how to mobilize or organize them properly.
    Discipline, organization, and mobilization can occur on their own, though, when there is a situation that demands it (as opposed to trying to generate it by oneself). However, he grows increasingly tired and emotionally worn out from having to put up a fight, and begins to look for a different, easier route rather than continue to confront the challenge directly.
    He resents any attempts to "push" him to do things and rejects the idea of people pressuring each other to do things. He himself avoids the use of pressure, preferring instead to entice and inspire. Only severe irritation can make him become forceful and demanding for brief periods of time until he calms down.
    The individual places very little value on the physical properties of his surroundings. He sees very little value in disputes over resources and territory and easily yields when challenged by individuals with stronger sensing, but not because he is afraid, but because he has little interest in the concrete and the physical and sees little intrinsic value and potential in this. When trying to achieve his goals and assert his place in society, he would rather rely on his creativity, imagination, erudition, social and verbal skills to move himself forward, rather than on blunt physical demonstrations, and vie to protect his intellectual and creative freedoms. He resents any attempts by others to physically "push" him to do things and rejects the idea of people pressuring each other to do things. He himself avoids the use of physical means of influence preferring instead to interest and inspire others. However, severe irritation and inability to change the situation by other means can lead him to sporadically resort to physical measures of influence for brief periods of time. It should be noted that despite not valuing Se, this individual may speak of physical manifestations, or even threaten others with physical force, if this is within the conventions and norms of his social group, but the prime motivations here is social adaptation and mimicry.

    Se as Vulnerable (LII/EII (INXj)
    The individual tends to overreact to aggressive or confrontational behavior, taking it as a personal threat when it may only be a knee-jerk reaction or the result of a bad mood.
    He tends to avoid intruding on others' space or engaging in behavior that may be perceived as coercive, and tries hard to handle his needs by being disciplined and well-prepared himself - rather than relying on others to do things for him. If these strategies fail, his efforts at dealing with the resulting conflict make him look actively pushy in a way that appears awkward and unnatural to others. This opens him up to painful criticism and feelings of weakness and helplessness.
    He is able to moralize and instruct others about what they should do and why, but he is not prepared for others' active resistance or refusal to do as he says. In his mind, this would require him to put aside reason and good feelings and simply make the other person do what is necessary. This is extremely difficult, if not impossible, for him to do.
    This individual handles his needs by being prudent and farsighted. He mentally foresees which actions may be harmful or inopportune to himself and disruptive of his physical state and homeostasis. He doesn't intrude onto other people's space or territory and is easily annoyed and flustered by someone transgressing into his own space. He notices what may be perceived as violation of one's personal space, and disapproves of those who regularly act in such a way. He tries to prevent and bypass anything that would result in upsetting his own physical homeostasis and chastises people who are too rowdy, who create extra commotion or drama that directly disturbs him, or create sudden disruptions by their behavior such as playing practical jokes. Such indvidual may be verbally assertive, start or join in verbal disagreements and conflicts where he has to impose and defend his ideas, values, and opinions, but will try to avoid any direct confrontations where his physical state and continuity of his life are directly at stake. During conflict he prefers to anticipate and choose his fights carefully; for example, he may act out unusually aggressively when he knows that he has the backing of other powerful individuals. In inopportune confrontational situations, he may overreact and respond in excess, seem too confrontational and contentious, he may even flip out and go berserk, which later ruins his mood and exhausts him. At the same time he is sensitive towards any comments concerning his own volitional qualities and ability to stand up for himself and may try to prove them false in any way by masquerading the opposite qualities. Such individual often feels himself insufficient to actively track, organize, and change his environment and instead turns to others for such help. In cases of physical discomfort this individual usually patiently and stoically endures through his hardships, but if the problem is not dealt with eventually, he may flare up or have a physical and emotional break down. He is good at sharing information, teaching and instructing others, but lacks ability to physically force them to anything. The individual doesn't pay much attention to external physical qualities, his own or those of others, and may belittle conversations on this topic, considering it not be worthy of attention and that inner qualities and personal potential are more important.


    Si as Activating/Mobilizing (LII/EII INXj)
    The individual has difficulty producing pleasurable sensory experiences for others and for himself, but likes to talk about pleasure, enjoyment, and relaxation, hoping that someone nearby will take the hint and take the lead.
    The individual tends to periodically get wound up and uptight and is generally unable to resolve these sensations himself. He needs someone to help him relax and take an internal look at whether he actually needs or enjoys what he is doing, and what might be the source of the tension that has built up.
    He can tend to extremes in this area, either depriving or indulging the senses to an unhealthy extent.
    The individual has some difficulties being in tune with internal physical states and discerning the physical properties and potentialities of people and objects, which leads to mishaps and errors of judgement in situations where he has to deal with the physical world. This leads to tension and anxiety, as the individual desires for supportive and harmonious environment, but he is unable to create such an environment himself and dislikes having to put in regular and extensive efforts into maintaining the kind of lifestyle. While he takes care of his basic needs he greatly prefers someone else to take the lead in dealing with the material world. The individual tends to periodically get wound up and uptight, he may engage in overanalysis that is mostly based in theory, while being unable to resolve his internal perceptions and take concrete actions to improve his state. He needs someone to help him resolve these issues, provide him with advice, direction, and evaluation of his own efforts in this area, sensitively discern his needs, resolve and eliminate possible sources of tension that has built up. The individual tends to go into extremes in this area, either neglecting it or trying to overperform.

    Si as Suggestive (ILEE/IEE ENXp)
    The individual tends to be chronically unaware of his own internal states, this includes physiological sensations and a sense of balance and alignment with one's true desires. He bases his decisions on what his own state is like at the moment, possessing a weak ability to keep track of past and potential future changes in his states, and thus being unable to appropriately anticipate and deal with them, which leads to certain measure of fickleness, unsatisfaction and frustration. The individual usually emphasizes physical attractiveness as means of achieving social validations and acceptance, and improving their mating potential, but does not see physical factors and parameters as a primary aim in life, primary means of achieving their goals and attaining a respectable position. Since this function is a weak one, such individuals often take a lot of pride and enjoyment in being able to skillfully deal with the physical world: manage their appearance such that they look attractive to their friends and partners, take care of their living space and material belongings, cook appealing dishes and take care of their health. However, the individual usually applies efforts in this area at a simple, rudimentary level, enabling himself to meet the standard expectation, and does not develop and invest into it in great complexity and seriousness of approach.
    If you conclude you're Alpha quadra (or other) from then on you can narrow down your focus to the judging functions.
    Also, could you share a bit more about yourself? What happens when you're feeling stressed/down/at your worst? What do you look like when you're healthy and at your best? How do you think you come across to others and why?

  8. #8
    Ajna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I compiled this for you. What do you consider your weaknesses, what is something that you don't value enough to care for it or develop it?

    Ni as leading function (IEI) generally manifests itself through a lack of direct attention to the world around oneself, and a sense of detachment or freedom from worldly affairs. This can lead to a highly developed imagination and very unique mental world, but it can also result in a great deal of laziness and apparent inactivity. Because the individual gets his or her primary information about the world through imagination, a person with base may be able to thrive in situations where data are scarce, or where he or she lacks the usual prerequisite experience. However, this may also become a disadvantage if the person ignores real data about the world too much. The ability to transcend the axis of time and understand the cause and effect relationships that occur is also a feature, sometimes resulting in the ability to accurately predict general future trends and outcomes of certain events.

    Fe as a creative function (SEI and IEI)
    The person is sensitive to the emotional atmosphere around him, either from an individual, or a group, or even from inanimate objects such as the landscape, the state of the physical environment he happens to be in, or his own emotional associations with the place or people around him. A positive emotional atmophere is essential for his sense of well being and inner peace, and he either tries to promote it himself by directly influencing it around him, or by simply moving away from the environment or the people causing a negative emotional environment in his view.

    For the SEI, this takes an on-the-spot aspect and is reflected in cracking jokes, trying to make people laugh, or simply moving away from people he perceives as affecting him negatively. For the IEI, this takes a longer-term perspective; so the focus, rather than being on the immediate emotional environment, is on the perceived longer-term emotional state of others towards the individual, and is reflected in trying to be on good terms with those he interacts with or seeking distance or protection from, or "preventively" attacking, those he sees as irremediably hostile emotionally.



    Si as leading function (SEI) manifests as a strong ability to recognize internal physical states in themselves and others, to understand how these states are reached, and to recreate and avoid these physical states.
    Individuals who possess as a base function are drawn to situations that satisfy their inner physical experience. Whenever base function individuals are taking part in something that involves recognizing, recreating, or analyzing physical states, they feel a great deal of personal power and enthusiasm.
    The avoidance of discomfort is one of the primary motivations of these types. Feelings of internal discomfort can arise from a tense psychological atmosphere, working too hard and sapping the body's resources, being pressured by other people or by numerous "things to do," and from unsatiated or oversatiated physical needs. These types tend to quickly recognize and be quite vocal about discomfort that arises and either take clever measures to dissipate it or simply get out of whatever is bothering them. They are very receptive to other people sharing feelings of discomfort with them and can help alleviate the tension and offer good solutions.
    leading types are constantly adjusting themselves to their environment (which includes the people around them), and rarely have any fixed ideas about what is "appropriate" to desire in a given situation. Thus they are willing to accommodate other people's needs in an ad hoc manner. It is enough for something to "feel right" for them to justify doing it. This behavior may seem random to outside observers, since it is concomitant with weak .

  9. #9
    What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Finland
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    2,321
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ajna View Post

    Si as leading function
    When I read these descriptions I feel like the author has definitely understood a lot about Si, but then there are unnecessary things included also. I'll try to pick this apart how I see it:

    Sorry if this is very detailed and boring, but Socionics is like that. We are talking about a very specific kind of consciousness.

    (SEI) manifests as a strong ability to recognize internal physical states in themselves and others,
    Yes, definitely in themselves, but less in others, that sounds more like intuition.

    to understand how these states are reached, and to recreate and avoid these physical states.
    Si doesn't "understand" anything. It doesn't know how to "recreate" or "avoid" anything. It is simply sensing. This is something that these authors seem to have problems grasping: That sensing is simply sensing. However, being so attuned to sensing phenomena will probably teach the person something about the broader context. Just from pure life experience that is not connected to any function.

    Individuals who possess as a base function are drawn to situations that satisfy their inner physical experience.
    Yes, this is easy to agree on. Often food etc.

    Whenever base function individuals are taking part in something that involves recognizing, recreating, or analyzing physical states, they feel a great deal of personal power and enthusiasm.
    "Analyzing" or "Recreating" physical states can be interesting for an Si person, because the general theme of impressions interests them, but they are not necessarily good at it. That goes beyond Si.

    The avoidance of discomfort is one of the primary motivations of these types. Feelings of internal discomfort can arise from a tense psychological atmosphere, working too hard and sapping the body's resources, being pressured by other people or by numerous "things to do," and from unsatiated or oversatiated physical needs. These types tend to quickly recognize and be quite vocal about discomfort that arises and either take clever measures to dissipate it or simply get out of whatever is bothering them.
    Yes, naturally because discomforts are felt strongly. But discomfort is also a part of inner impressions and in itself is just as much Si as good sensations. It think that's good to remember.

    It's also good to remember that strong Si also makes the person somehow open-minded towards strange or unpleasant sensations. They like to go into the nuances, although they often lack words to describe it.


    They are very receptive to other people sharing feelings of discomfort with them and can help alleviate the tension and offer good solutions.
    I agree, although this is not directly Si as a function, but more about general interest in Si matters.

    leading types are constantly adjusting themselves to their environment (which includes the people around them),
    Yes, but here Se ignoring is also involved.
    A true sense-perception certainly exists, but it always looks as though objects were not so much forcing their way into the subject in their own right as that the subject were seeing things quite differently, or saw quite other things than the rest of mankind. As a matter of fact, the subject perceives the same things as everybody else, only, he never stops at the purely objective effect, but concerns himself with the subjective perception released by the objective stimulus.
    (Carl Jung on Si)

    My Pinterest

  10. #10
    Rusal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    TIM
    SEI-Si
    Posts
    68
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    Yes, definitely in themselves, but less in others, that sounds more like intuition.

    Si doesn't "understand" anything. It doesn't know how to "recreate" or "avoid" anything. It is simply sensing.
    I don’t think it is intuition, it’s very much within the scope of Si types but what changes is the interpretation of the text. (I would allow the idea of intuition in conjunction with but if applied to the realm of Si as leading function then the description of Si types as SEI is still right)

    For me it simply means that a Si base type office worker would be the first one to realise it’s a good idea to offer coffee to a visiting client on the coldest day in Winter.

    In the case of a health professional, they would have a better understanding of the symptoms of their patients, better attunement to the nuances of pain and discomfort.

    Si types can also find themselves having to be the ones to calm down family members when distressed over some lump they’ve found, being that they’d have more experience sensing their bodies and registering what constitutes an abnormality and what doesn’t.

  11. #11
    What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Finland
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    2,321
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusal View Post
    I donít think it is intuition, itís very much within the scope of Si types but what changes is the interpretation of the text. (I would allow the idea of intuition in conjunction with but if applied to the realm of Si as leading function then the description of Si types as SEI is still right)

    For me it simply means that a Si base type office worker would be the first one to realise itís a good idea to offer coffee to a visiting client on the coldest day in Winter.
    In that case it's secondary behaviour (to offer coffee), springing from the fact that SEIs have a general interest in sensations. I agree that SEIs can do this. But in many cases the Si base actually prevents a SEI from offering comfort etc. They simply don't realize what to do. (weak thinking, weak intuition, too absorbed in their own sensations).

    There are also other types who can be oriented towards taking action in Si matters (offering coffee etc.). For example LSE or ILE or ESI or even EIE. Often more so than SEI.

    In the case of a health professional, they would have a better understanding of the symptoms of their patients, better attunement to the nuances of pain and discomfort.
    I think SEIs can have great empathy about a patient's discomfort, because they know what it feels like. But I don't think SEIs are that good at understanding symptoms generally.

    The thing is that Si base is not about some general understanding of "Si related stuff". For example, a SEI might actually be interested in cooking because he is in tune with sensations, but strictly speaking cooking is mostly non-Si, it's more like planning, method, time management etc. Cooking is not some natural Si activity.

    I guess I'd prefer to talk about Si in a very strict sense as a function (like Jung does). As a specialized consciousness (like all the functions are). There is otherwise a risk of dumbing down Si to just some correlated behaviour or general interest in stuff related to Si.

    Si is difficult to talk about because it's mostly invisible, not seen on the outside, consisting of vague impressions from the environment and the body. Like sensing a reflection of the world, not the world itself. Socionics seems to try to make it more tangible, but that can also lead to misunderstandings.
    A true sense-perception certainly exists, but it always looks as though objects were not so much forcing their way into the subject in their own right as that the subject were seeing things quite differently, or saw quite other things than the rest of mankind. As a matter of fact, the subject perceives the same things as everybody else, only, he never stops at the purely objective effect, but concerns himself with the subjective perception released by the objective stimulus.
    (Carl Jung on Si)

    My Pinterest

  12. #12
    Rusal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    TIM
    SEI-Si
    Posts
    68
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    In that case it's secondary behaviour (to offer coffee), springing from the fact that SEIs have a general interest in sensations. I agree that SEIs can do this. But in many cases the Si base actually prevents a SEI from offering comfort etc. They simply don't realize what to do. (weak thinking, weak intuition, too absorbed in their own sensations).
    My point being that I never understood that quote in the description of SEI to be anything else than better recognition that will yield advice on things such as relaxation, the right skin texture, discernment of abnormalities in the body, nutrition, steps to prevent physical inconvenience, etc. In that sense it’s very fitting. You wouldn’t believe what I’ve heard grown up people assume about their bodies. (Though I’ve heard SLIs are better)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    I think SEIs can have great empathy about a patient's discomfort, because they know what it feels like. But I don't think SEIs are that good at understanding symptoms generally.
    A better grasp of the nuances of the body, its sensations and functions would at the very least mean further inquiries would be presented to patient and prevent serious faux passes.

  13. #13
    What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Finland
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    2,321
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusal View Post
    My point being that I never understood that quote in the description of SEI to be anything else than better recognition that will yield advice on things such as relaxation, the right skin texture, discernment of abnormalities in the body, nutrition, steps to prevent physical inconvenience, etc. In that sense it’s very fitting. You wouldn’t believe what I’ve heard grown up people assume about their bodies. (Though I’ve heard SLIs are better)
    It's tricky because on one hand SEIs can develop those skills you mention when Si is combined with other knowledge also. On the other hand they don't really follow from Si base as such. SEI is not naturally interested in how to prevent physical inconvenience etc. It's too extroverted and complicated. I've many times in my life been very uncomfortable because it didn't hit me that I could actually arrange things better, or that I should even try. However, people develop complicated skills as they live and grow, so you are right about that.


    A better grasp of the nuances of the body, its sensations and functions would at the very least mean further inquiries would be presented to patient and prevent serious faux passes.
    I know what you mean. But I still don't think it would necessarily follow from that.

    Ok, but yeah I know what you mean. I am just more skeptical than you about the connection between Si base and the skills you mention.
    A true sense-perception certainly exists, but it always looks as though objects were not so much forcing their way into the subject in their own right as that the subject were seeing things quite differently, or saw quite other things than the rest of mankind. As a matter of fact, the subject perceives the same things as everybody else, only, he never stops at the purely objective effect, but concerns himself with the subjective perception released by the objective stimulus.
    (Carl Jung on Si)

    My Pinterest

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •