Thread: ISTp-ENFp conversation and Asking/Taciturn Reinin trait

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ISTp-ENFp conversation and Asking/Taciturn Reinin trait

OK here's a conversation my husband and I had last night. Introductory info - he bought a new welder recently.

Husband sits down. "My new welder isn't working right." (Implied but not stated question is 'what's wrong with my welder?')

I ask, "what isn't it doing?"

He says something like "It doesn't make enough of an arc." Or something. I know nothing about welders. Something about an arc.

I ask, "What would cause it to not do that? Not enough power? Didn't you say something about this welder being 'dual-power' or something?"

*silence* He goes into the garage. I hear welding sounds.

He comes in looking content and sits down. "It doesn't work as well on 110. It works better on 220."

OK so he doesn't ask a single actual question - although he has implied questions. And I sit and ask question after question. How does this fit with him being taciturn and me being a narrator? I just don't get it. I think I do fit "narrator" generally but not so much with him.

Also, why does he ask for my help about stuff like welders and carburators? He has an NeTi friend who actually knows how to weld.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: ISTps - Taciturn

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom
    OK here's a conversation my husband and I had last night. Introductory info - he bought a new welder recently.

Husband sits down. "My new welder isn't working right." (Implied but not stated question is 'what's wrong with my welder?')

He says something like "It doesn't make enough of an arc." Or something. I know nothing about welders. Something about an arc.

I ask, "What would cause it to not do that? Not enough power? Didn't you say something about this welder being 'dual-power' or something?"

He comes in looking content and sits down. "It doesn't work as well on 110. It works better on 220."

OK so he doesn't ask a single actual question - although he has implied questions. And I sit and ask question after question. How does this fit with him being taciturn and me being a narrator? I just don't get it. I think I do fit "narrator" generally but not so much with him.

Also, why does he ask for my help about stuff like welders and carburators? He has an NeTi friend who actually knows how to weld.
    That's exactly how taciturn people operate. But he's not asking you for help, he's just stating facts. It's you who provides the meaning, the narrative, of what do those facts mean. Taciturn = statement of concrete external issues and wondering their meaning. Narrator = providing a concrete internalized frame of reference and pondering the abstract external facts about how it all applies, how to make the story work.
    First eliminate every possible source of error. Thence success is inevitable.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

---
    INTp
    sx/sp

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smilingeyes
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom

That's exactly how taciturn people operate. But he's not asking you for help, he's just stating facts. It's you who provides the meaning, the narrative, of what do those facts mean. Taciturn = statement of concrete external issues and wondering their meaning. Narrator = providing a concrete internalized frame of reference and pondering the abstract external facts about how it all applies, how to make the story work.
    Thank you!! You rock <3
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mea

Oooo... This whole illustration just made it clearer for me as to how taciturn and narratives think.
    all I could think of when I saw this reply was the need for a lightbulb going on over your head.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why aren't all dichotomic descriptions that concise and comprehensible?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17

cuz they all weren't written by an ESTJ...lol

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cracka
    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17

cuz they all weren't written by an ESTJ...lol
    <3
    -Mark Twain

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also perfer this story over the christmas story no one can understand. Do you know live in the U.S, because it seems to me that he switched it from 110v to 220v which could damage it if you used it like that in the U.S. Michigan I see, did not pay any attention.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of my husband's equipment requires 220, so our garage is wired for both. The welder is made to work on either 110 or 220, but apparently it works better on 220.
    -Mark Twain

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My dad is an ISTp, and he's often in the same sitution as your husband. It always comes down to one factor: He doesn't read the goddamn instructions! And it's always his very last resort.
    asd