Thread: Extroversion/Introversion

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Extroversion/Introversion

Jung states in the beginning of his PTypes, that his descriptions are of unhealthy, one-sided types, since as errbody knows we are equally E/I).

He goes on to literally state, "The attitude of the unconscious as an effective complement to the conscious extraverted attitude has a definitely introverting character. It focuses libido upon the subjective factor."

From this, we gain a spectrum of Extro-Introversion, namely:

EJ-EP-IJ-IP

ESFj = most extroverted, followed by ESFp
    INTp = most introverted, followed by INTj

Why is it that ESFp is regarded as a heavy social, and INTj as a heavy researcher?
    If S/T are External elements, shouldn't ESTj be the most extroverted?
    If N/F are Internal elements, shouldn't INFp be the most introverted?

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cactagon View Post
    From this, we gain a spectrum of Extro-Introversion, namely:

EJ-EP-IJ-IP
    The Jung quote is basically saying that the attitude and orientation of the unconscious will be opposite to those of the conscious. How did you derive the above from that quote?

Edit: I'm basically asking, like why is EJ more extraverted than EP? And IJ more than IP?
    Last edited by redundantoxymoron; 02-22-2020 at 02:18 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being “social” is a limited interpretation of extroversion, isn’t it?

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by remiges View Post
    Being “social” is a limited interpretation of extroversion, isn’t it?
    It would be, if that was OP's claim. When OP writes "ESFp is regarded as a heavy social", they're referring to the Socionics grouping of SFs as "Socials". https://www.sociotype.com/socionics/clubs/

"Heavy" Socials is the part OP needs to explain. I asked above.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@redundantoxymoron: The Jung quote is actually saying that "the unconscious as an effective complement to the conscious extraverted attitude has a definitely introverting character," since anything irrational is closely related to Jung's collective unconscious. Irrationality (Perception), by its own nature, "has a definitely introverting character," such that an EP is more introverted than an EJ because the P causes the E to become slightly introverted. Nobody be walking around unconsciously, so ppl who are P-oriented have their attitude imbued directly with the subjective phenomenon of the unconscious (which cannot be fully rationalized and brought to conscious light). Did I perhaps read that wrong? "[The unconscious] focuses libido upon the subjective factor." Jung writes this in his section titled "The Attitude of the Unconscious" which is a subsection of his more general "The Extraverted Type." @remiges: It is.
    Also, yeah, I totally messed that up. ESFj is a light social, but "heaviness" comes from this link: http://www.wikisocion.net/en/index.p...lub_of_socials

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@cactagon: Ok. With your interpretation, your conclusion makes sense. I understand that POV. I personally never agreed with Jung's idea of the irrational functions necessarily being more closely related to the unconscious. Admittedly, I took the more technical approach early on.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Well, I personally think that introversion is externally focused and extroversion is internally focused. Introverts need to control the input while extroverts need it. Why would introverts get exhausted [if not: higher input, lower output] otherwise and extroverts have the drive to be all over the place [if not: lower input, higher output]?

So it could be that the whole introversion and extroversion is a misnomer. There is just a need to tell a dominance between absorption and emission.
    So extroverts are emitters and introverts absorbers.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org