3 23.08%

Thread: Do you always think?

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do you always think?

Do you?

Do you think this is type related? If yes, then which types always think?

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Intuitives are always thinking. Vastly over thinking is more like it...

Riley and Bunny together forever HicksHawking InterPrizeWes's Avatar
    Macroverse MtBattle ScholarsGarden Halloween1993 SuperNexus InfinitiesUltimate AllSpectraEverywhere
    TIM
    RayquazaRaichuArceus
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking balloons a nice candle of swift earthlings longing for a higher existence, bounding away from the machine of misfortune and bad alignments, to breathtaking shores and vistas that open out to the biggest existence.
    Chinese Fortune Cookie ~ A fair face may fade, but a beautiful soul lasts forever. Lucky Numbers - 53, 10, 29, 14, 1, 21
    Mr. Mime = Mastermind
    Marius Florin aka LeoSuperCluster as Raging Bolt the Raikou number 1021 and SolitaryWalker brought glory to the years of Silver and forged Pichu, wisdom of force and flair to exhibit dinosaur questing pointers electrocuting cinema and blueprints of emporiums to undertow flows jungle tossing galaxy spanning shivers of essence gems and portals of roads to destruction and arboretums folding castles and swordsmanship of dreams and counters to pleasant vibrations and holy water sprouting evanescent stars and puzzles of grades to saffron climax
    https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...k-2024-edition

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess -- but does anyone not?

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    I guess -- but does anyone not?

I don't think. I remember when I first realized that I don't. I had some task that I had to think about and my mind was empty, and it hit me that that's always the case. Not thinking is my natural state.

But I always sense, and I can't turn it off.

I think it is very type related: Thinkers think. My LII friend has told me the opposite: That at some point he realized that he always thinks.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Descartes was LII, wasn't he?

Other types have to say things like "Sentio, ergo sum" etc
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I wait for the occasion if we mean thinking being logic. Otherwise it is like formation of some weird images from synthetic connections, mb.

Rational types tend to format their in comprehensible manner.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    525 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    I don't think. I remember when I first realized that I don't. I had some task that I had to think about and my mind was empty, and it hit me that that's always the case. Not thinking is my natural state.

But I always sense, and I can't turn it off.

I think it is very type related: Thinkers think. My LII friend has told me the opposite: That at some point he realized that he always thinks.
    That’s really interesting. I have a tendency to just assume everyone thinks in similar ways as me, so I’m always surprised to find that people are different.

I suppose it’s too much to ask that you try to describe in detail not doing something, but you just don’t have ideas in this “default” state? Like, you can just smell something, and not start thinking about (for instance) how that smell made you feel as a child, then evaluating your thoughts/feelings on the smell and associated feelings it evokes, then thinking about the course of your life — or something like that?

Actually, I wasn’t thinking (lol) about this subject very much until I read your post, but I remember now saying to my mother when I was very young “Mom, I can’t ever stop thinking!” as if I had made an important discovery. She was amused. A few times since then she’s said about herself that she habitually “doesn’t think” most of the time. I never believed her; it made me angry that she was putting herself down. I felt she just lacked confidence in her intelligence, so she never tried to understand things. Again, when I was an obnoxious little kid, I’d try to talk to her a lot to explain to her things I’d learned I felt she should know, which I thought if she contemplated would spark curiosity, interest, and drive in her, and I was always disappointed that she didn’t seem all that interested in anything I said. Lol. Embarrassing to think about.

TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    That’s really interesting. I have a tendency to just assume everyone thinks in similar ways as me, so I’m always surprised to find that people are different.

I suppose it’s too much to ask that you try to describe in detail not doing something, but you just don’t have ideas in this “default” state? Like, you can just smell something, and not start thinking about (for instance) how that smell made you feel as a child, then evaluating your thoughts/feelings on the smell and associated feelings it evokes, then thinking about the course of your life — or something like that?

Actually, I wasn’t thinking (lol) about this subject very much until I read your post, but I remember now saying to my mother when I was very young “Mom, I can’t ever stop thinking!” as if I had made an important discovery. She was amused. A few times since then she’s said about herself that she habitually “doesn’t think” most of the time. I never believed her; it made me angry that she was putting herself down. I felt she just lacked confidence in her intelligence, so she never tried to understand things. Again, when I was an obnoxious little kid, I’d try to talk to her a lot to explain to her things I’d learned I felt she should know, which I thought if she contemplated would spark curiosity, interest, and drive in her, and I was always disappointed that she didn’t seem all that interested in anything I said. Lol. Embarrassing to think about.
    Your take on Fe-egos is interesting. It gets a "like". SEI/IEI are lovely. They will act interested in technical matters but, during texting they respond with such discussions with Fe.

Fe is awesome but not for Ti discussion. Kinda interested to hear Ti-ego's opinion here
    Last edited by Stray Cat; 07-10-2021 at 09:32 AM.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If "think" refers to rationalize then I do it way too much. Ti-subtypes like me overthink, which isn't a good thing because our senses are disconnected way too much. If "think" refers to balanced processes acquiring information and rationalizing it then most people do. N- and S-subtypes don't rationalize enough but they do do it; otherwise, they'd be vegetables. Ips and to a lesser extent Ejs often react before they rationalize but that's not the norm. Many Eps have been known to often put their noses where they shouldn't have so many may wonder what they were thinking at the time.

a.k.a. I/O

Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I think a lot but that tends to lead to more overthinking then anything. Trying to get better at it. I like to think, question, and ponder but there is a line that goes to far and I can cross it very easily if I am not careful. I respond better to the environment and act when I don't think too much.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm cautious and pause for considerations. IRL I say things like "thinking things through" or "haven't decided yet", which I associate with being deliberate.

@myresearch, is this a trick question?

Banned
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone thinks but yes some types are more prone to overthinking. And no, I don't consider it an egocentric thing @DEAD

And of course, non-type related factors can cause overthinking as well.

For example in this video, the overthinking stems from anxiety due to inexperience:

Last edited by peteronfireee2; 06-26-2021 at 12:42 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's partly the reason why you won't see certain types, such as nerdy LIIs, in sports like the NBA

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EVERY single time I space out some fucking npc comes over and remarks upon it awaking me from my moment of bliss. Seems this simulation is one of those games that you cannot pause.

I'm not hungry mommy bear BrainlessSquid's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE-Fi
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't always think, but I used to in the past.
    So no.
    Staying aware without thinking is one of the most liberating experiences one can have in life.
    Sometimes you don't have motivation because you lack purpose.
    Sometimes you don't have purpose, because you lack self-knowledge
    Sometimes you don't have self-knowledge because you lack love
    Sometimes you don't have love because you lack self-love
    Sometimes you don't have self-love because you lack guess what? Ask Gulenko!!

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think the content of thoughts and the focus of attention may vary between type to type. I'm more happy thinking in task at hand and solutions to material/practical issues or tasks.
    Last edited by Hope; 06-26-2021 at 01:59 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

50-50%
    I used to think a lot more before, thinking I had to think things through. All the things all the time. It was mostly motivated by stress of not doing enough to fit into society. I wanted to find the objective and absolute answers that would lead to peace all the time. What an idealist I was.
    It was never enough tho. Thinking is a tool and isn't cut to deal with everything sadly.

Now I can stare at a wall empty headed for 2h, lol.
    Last edited by rose; 06-26-2021 at 06:39 PM. Reason: duplicated a word, oop

Banned
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's also important to point out,

overthinking does not necessarily equate to being more knowledgeable / correct. I think people wrongly conflate those ideas as well.
    Last edited by peteronfireee2; 06-26-2021 at 04:26 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@DEAD

An Fi-ego, for example, is not going to be overly-concerned/obsessed with precision when they're using Ti in comparison to a Ti-ego.

But they can certainly use Ti.

And they can even be more knowledgeable/correct/smarter than a Ti-user.

Makes sense?

Last edited by peteronfireee2; 06-26-2021 at 04:31 PM.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thistle View Post
    @myresearch, is this a trick question?
    It isn't a trick question. I thought strong N types and/or Ti types can be more prone to it based on the statement of people I know in real life, wanted to check that. However, there could be some other typology factors that can lead this that I was missing, also wanted to see that.

Regardless of socionics and typology in general, there are other factors that can make a person's psyche work this way and I thought people here on this forum would be more prone to think always regardless of their type. Also wanted to check that.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Constantly. I can't turn it off even if I wanted to.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No not really, I’m mostly on autopilot mentally. I go through the motions and leave thinking out of the way, only exceptions is when Im trying to understand something I’m interested in or something that’s affecting me emotionally.

I also just like to experience life through my emotions because they rarely lie, my thoughts be abusing and gaslighting me into believing shit that’s not true so I doubt myself. :///

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This makes me wonder about wanting to turn off/on thinking, I think it could be an interesting addition.
    Can you switch from one state to an other by deciding to?

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flowers and sugar View Post
    This makes me wonder about wanting to turn off/on thinking, I think it could be an interesting addition.
    Can you switch from one state to an other by deciding to?
    If you are always thinking, that means you cannot turn it off. I thought that was implied but people may thought otherwise ofcourse.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by myresearch View Post
    If you are always thinking, that means you cannot turn it off. I thought that was implied but people may thought otherwise ofcourse.
    Not everyone is always thinking.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by myresearch View Post
    It isn't a trick question. I thought strong N types and/or Ti types can be more prone to it based on the statement of people I know in real life, wanted to check that. However, there could be some other typology factors that can lead this that I was missing, also wanted to see that.

Regardless of socionics and typology in general, there are other factors that can make a person's psyche work this way and I thought people here on this forum would be more prone to think always regardless of their type. Also wanted to check that.
    Thanks for the explanation. I see people analysing things that seem open-ended and frustratingly unresolvable on the forum more than I do outside of it.

I agree that there are other factors involved, e.g. Racing thoughts are not logical, having one's guard up can be rooted in fear rather than type.

Maybe I'm a Lion
    TIM
    ESI-Fi 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ruminate, ponder, wonder, daydream, visualize but do I think?

No.

TIM
    IEI-H 946
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is very difficult to say. There's usually something going on in my mind but at the same time I'm really not thinking anything in particular. Half the time I think somebody is talking in my head and I'm just there casually in the other room listening.

I am capable of active thinking as well, as in, verbalizing images into words and logic. But that takes a bit more effort.

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm online a lot just so I don't have to think. Without any distraction, it's really uncomfortable because I try to think to entertain myself but I really don't know what to think about and I get bored. I'm okay if I'm watching waves from the shore or watching clouds move, but if the environment is too still, I feel very uncomfortable.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'Thought is trespass, the enemy ...'

I think we can underestimate how tremendously hard it is to think. When we're not just proceeding out of habit, perhaps some shocking event gets us to think.