Thread: How big is your current living space?

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How big is your current living space?

How big? In square meters or feet. Can include height and talk about other features if you want.

How do you feel about it? Is it easy to live in? Do you wish it were bigger? Smaller? This interests my .

Would you ever live in one of those compact tiny homes?

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My house is 21’ x 21’ square, two floors and a basement and an attic for storage. My garage is actually bigger.

The house isn’t what I would call too small or too large. It is big enough for a man and woman and one child, and is small enough to keep clean pretty easily. I spend a fair amount of time in hotel rooms, and I don’t mind small living spaces.

I have basically redone the electrical, plumbing, heating, air conditioning, insulation, windows, and bathroom so they are to very high standards and work perfectly. The kitchen is next.

The best thing about the house is its location, which gives it value. The worst thing about the house is its layout, which is horrible but is dictated by size and function.

The house I grew up in is a white colonial, about 30’ x 45’, two floors, a basement and a walk-up attic, and all of its rooms are bigger than mine, so my house feels a bit cramped. I wish every room in my house were a bit larger, for a better “feel”. Because of the different locations, my house was appraised at three times the value of my parent’s house, so if I want to change location, I can get a much bigger house. If I want one. Location is important to me, though.

But I’d really prefer a more open plan house on about one to five acres on the outskirts of a University town, on a hill overlooking moving water, but I haven’t been motivated to find that place yet.

I could definitely live in a mini-house if it had some space outside. Mini-houses seem to be about as big as a hotel room, which is big enough to sleep in, eat, shower, fix a very small meal, and have a desk for writing. More important, actually, would be that it be free of drafts and have radiant heating and good lighting and sound-proofing and would require nearly zero maintenance.
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 02-08-2020 at 03:32 AM.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

560 sq ft. I don't mind it and increasing size would be a tradeoff. My living room and bedroom are pretty big. My kitchen and bathroom are painfully small though. I lack counter space in the kitchen and I routinely spill water over the front of my bathroom sink because it's like a foot front to back.

I wouldn't live in a tiny home but I've known women who were obsessed by the idea because it was cute, there was some sense of simplicity or ease, and then the whole eco helper part of it, too.

As far as simplicity/ease, I think the simplicity is proportional to 1/(space size)^2 and starts complex goes to simple and then back to complex as space increases so that there's some nice middle ground for you. I seriously doubt that middle ground is in the tiny house area for most people.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

25 m2. Enough. I end up using half of it or less. Height.seems to be very high. I need quite high ladders to change lights and I'm medium height male in north European standards.
    Last edited by The Reality Denialist; 02-08-2020 at 03:42 AM.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Small - I don't know the square footage. I share a two bed apartment with a co-worker. I have the bigger bedroom (it fits a double bed and has enough space between the bed and the door for someone of my fairly small stature to do yoga / exercise). We have a bathroom each. Living room and kitchen is combined. The kitchen counter is big enough for one person but if we are cooking at the same time it's impossible.

It's big enough for my needs right now and I spend a lot of time out of the house anyway. I rarely spend a day at home so it's usually just a place to crash on evenings (and only about 50-60% of evenings because I spend time round my boyfriend's too).

Compact tiny homes look cute but I would only live in one by myself. I'm in talks with my bf to move in together and if I'm losing the personal space of my own bedroom, I'd at least like a spare room where I can hide from him every so often (in the nicest way possible). A home a similar size to my current one would be fine. The issue with mine now is it's a generic new build block of apartments made to look stylish but very cheap and generic (like an ikea designed prison cell or hospital ward). I'd want to live somewhere cozier in future.
    "I take back like half of the exclamation points.....they make me look....eager to please. Which I AM....but I don't want anyone to KNOW that"
    - Carrie Fisher

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My place is 16.5 m^2 or 177.5 ft^2. If I had the cash a “trendy” place would be nice, but I’d really prefer a bigger place that I could raise a family in. Massive would be better, says my experience-less 1D Ni mind. But my current place is more than enough for me and I wouldn’t want a huge mortgage so idk.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

1,200 square foot duplex. A lot of those square feet are in the basement (ping pong room) and in the kitchen we're like sorry I'll get out of your way sorry about that don't mean to hog the counter excuse me please whoop

TIM
    ILI-Ni 5w4 LEVF
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't measured it but it is very small.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

The land is a half acre. The house, with the garage (aka my makeshift gym) it is about 2700 sq ft. The enclosed lanai adds another 1000 sq ft. I still don't feel like I have enough space to myself since I have family living with me until they get their own place. I try to time my movements in order to avoid unnecessary contact but it still happens more often than I want.

I had to look it up. I thought it was 2400 until now.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

week apartment 50 sqm (a bit too small, 70 sqm would be better)

weekend house (not fully ours but we take care of it...) around 350 sqm
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1550 square feet or so. It has vaulted ceilings which I hate... end up making the room harder to heat and cool. There is also an addition to the home that is not as well insulated as I would like but I don’t have the money yet to tackle that project. Other than that it works just fine.

I think it would be fun to have one of those compact tiny homes near a vacation spot, but I don’t think I could live in that day in and day out with a family. By myself I might be able to.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 square feet/14 square meters lel. But it's positioned very good, I live in the middle of town, within short walking distance to everything.

Professional IEI Identifier on a peaceful hiatus's Avatar
    TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

645 square feet. my landlord is a retired SLI, I got extremly lucky. the rent is rather cheap and I live in the middle of berlin. he wants to give the apartment to his wife once he dies so I hope he will live for a a few more decades... I could easily live in a smaller apartment, and I have been occasionally thinking about a backpacker life.
    my ideas about socionics:

https://soziotypen.de/thoughts-on-socionics/

the section will be updated ever other month or so.

this is a VI thread with IEI examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...-(IEI-edition)

and this is a thread with EIE examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...s-EIE-examples

TIM
    ESE wannabe
    Mentioned
    596 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1680 sq ft. Don’t feel like it’s enough room for all my junk. Maybe I just have bad organizational skills. But everyone tells me the house isn’t big enough and I need a bigger house ...maybe they are right. I’m just trying to make do with what I have until the time is right to move. I think more room would be better and solve some of our current problems.
    ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈 ♓︎ 𝓅𝒾𝓈𝒸𝑒𝓈
    ♍︎ 𝓋𝒾𝓇𝑔𝑜 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 ♍︎

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Mines about 30m2, its a studio, so its a one room apartment, in a house where other people live on the lower floors. Its an attic but with a private kitchen and bathroom in it. I also have a bigass balcony which Id rather use as a bedroom but oh well.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

183m2 is the living space but are unsure if this includes the studio at the rear of the property.

Are more than happy to paste a photo or two if helpful of when it was for sale last year.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngelFireWizard666 View Post
    150 square feet/14 square meters lel. But it's positioned very good, I live in the middle of town, within short walking distance to everything.
    A dorm?

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbbds View Post
    A dorm?
    Ye I share kitchen with my neighbours but have my own bathroom/shower. I got pretty much my own kitchen stuff in my room tho, except for a stove/oven.

TIM
    ILI-Ni sp/sx
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

It's about as big as I need it to be. The real question is the features. Can it move? How easily? How sturdy is it against certain elements if we assume all is going well? What about location/view if we ignore all that other BS? Anyone can dream of and even manage to live in an "awesome" abode but how that's defined is entirely up to the individual and I'd bet money that will be heavily influenced by type.

For me, as an example, a well stocked Cargo Van with a high end laptop and recharging power supply installed to power anything I'd care to use (e.g. Power an Insta-pot while I use said laptop to surf the net or play some video games as I wait for my most delicious meal to finish cooking) within it would serve most all of my purposes. I'd bet most any gamma who values self-preservation above all would agree. Hell, it's even a great way to attract an SEE. They've always wanted to travel the world but never seemed to have the dosh on hand to do so.

With what amounts to a gracious Sherpa rolling around in a mobile yet somehow very comfy hotel suite that has all the truly essential items included alongside a surprisingly soft bed given what we're talking that dream vacation just became hella affordable .

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by enmity View Post
    I haven't measured it but it is very small.
    What no male user would say ever

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

What no male user would say ever
    Hey, I think I've said that my house is very small before. I did measure it, though.

And the last time I checked, I was still male.

TIM
    ILI-Ni 5w4 LEVF
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sex. Laugh.

TIM
    ESI-Fi 146w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1.62k square feet. It's laid out very poorly (because of the kitchen and because it's tri-level, it's too narrow). Barbara (my mother) wanted to spend extra money to move from a beautiful 3.52k square feet home (w/ VERY high ceilings) to a shitty trilevel condo, my father didn't but he just let my mother decide. I definitely didn't want to move, I could never consider anywhere but the city I spent the first 27 years of my life in "home". But Barbara cannot be stopped when she has her mind set on a goal.

1.62k square feet would be sufficient space if it were one or two story rather than trilevel and if the wetbar/kitchen sink weren't in the middle of the kitchen but rather had the counter and all of the appliances surrounding the area like in my beautiful old home. Lightning rods and all electric appliances (no gas) and all copper wiring are also very important, my older home would've been perfect if it had electric heat and water and no wallpaper, but my parents are terrible penny pinchers despite my father being paid about double what the average family practitioner was paid; their investments were terrible, income was very high, but investments were poor and Barbara fell for going into debt, all sorts of credit cards and the mortgage interest deduction, and paying so much interest and paying bills she could've cancelled with no consequences but felt morally obligated to pay. The condominium I live in now is really ugly inside and outside (there are some in the development area that look nicer [although they have natural gas too], but my parents always go by reviews whenever they're about to purchase something rather than them observing for themselves and they wind up spending more money and on lower quality products; but the reviews of the construction company that built the condominiums we live in failed to disclose that the construction company has been sued several times and that it's obvious from looking at the condominiums inside and outside that they're of worse quality and much uglier). The place was a colossal waste of money as we'd have more money if we had stayed in our old home (the job my dad would've had if we had stayed at our old home would've paid at least double what the job he has now pays and all of the fees associated with moving like the moving company and things being broken by them and their refusal to pay for them so my parents having to pay to replace them and the hotel room we had to stay in the first few nights in our new city, and interest barbara paid to make unnecessary and even some bad looking renovations to our beautiful old home). In most homes I've been in, the kitchens are cramped and terrible because they have a counter and/or the sink/other appliances in the middle, but my old home wasn't one of them.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lmao @Disturbed I’m afraid to reply to you tbh, but why is your dad nameless while you call your mom Barbara.

TIM
    ESI-Fi 146w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lmao @Disturbed I’m afraid to reply to you tbh, but why is your dad nameless while you call your mom Barbara.
    Sorry. I don't know. Good find though.

BTW, I'm afraid of and/or disturbed by myself, the way I look, and my mind, and things I've done too (and by most people and the future, especially people on my direct maternal line and the world in general), nothing I've ever tried has really helped much with my anxiety. I've been an anxious asshole most of my life. I have tried to get help for it, but it was ineffective or harmful, but I haven't given up.

I've never really been independent, emotionally or materially and maybe not even in my thinking. I prefer and admire people who are, they're better people IMO.
    Last edited by Disturbed; 02-17-2020 at 07:40 PM.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
    Sorry. I don't know. Good find though.

BTW, I'm afraid of and/or disturbed by myself, the way I look, and my mind, and things I've done too (and by most people and the future, especially people on my direct maternal line and the world in general), nothing I've ever tried has really helped much with my anxiety. I've been an anxious asshole most of my life. I have tried to get help for it, but it was ineffective or harmful, but I haven't given up.

I've never really been independent, emotionally or materially and maybe not even in my thinking. I prefer and admire people who are, they're better people IMO.
    Are you working on becoming independent? I’m sure that would help with your anxiety.

TIM
    ESI-Fi 146w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you working on becoming independent? I’m sure that would help with your anxiety.
    You're right, but that's too hard to do now. Thank you for asking and the advice. Sorry.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
    You're right, but that's too hard to do now. Thank you for asking and the advice. Sorry.
    What do you mean???

Restricted user
    TIM
    SLI-Si 6w5 613 sp/so
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live in a sunroom portion of a living room, so very small. Wouldn't know specifics. As to how I feel about it, I live in a sunroom portion of a living room. There's only one way to feel about it. Sure beats a shelter or the streets. I would prefer a studio or a small cabin if I had money to afford either. Anything bigger would be just wasted space.

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's pretty large for UK standards.

In the future I would like to buy an even bigger house with a minimal design and barely anything in it.
    ἀταραξία

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Idk lmao. I have 3 bathrooms a large garden, the garage... a total of 11 rooms excluding the kitchen and the part I cut off from the upper bedroom for the server rack (sound dampened and fireproofed). The house is HUGE... and empty... like my soul q_q.

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shotgunfingers View Post
    Idk lmao. I have 3 bathrooms a large garden, the garage... a total of 11 rooms excluding the kitchen and the part I cut off from the upper bedroom for the server rack (sound dampened and fireproofed). The house is HUGE... and empty... like my soul q_q.
    So much space for such a tiny baby weasel

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So much space for such a tiny baby weasel
    The place belonged to my grandfather. He was rich af before communism. Old german-saxon house. We used to have workshops here with ppl who learned the trade from him. He made fur coats, hats and other clothing, well he and the other people working here. maybe not that old, he built it after WW1

TIM
    EII typed by Gulenko
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The place belonged to my grandfather. He was rich af before communism. Old german-saxon house. We used to have workshops here with ppl who learned the trade from him.
    What trade? House building?

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Must be creepy when ghosths of butchered weasels gnaws your toes during the full moon.
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What trade? House building?
    He made clothes animal activists would throw paint on today. Fur trade and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by COVID 007 View Post
    Must be creepy when ghosths of butchered weasels gnaws your toes during the full moon.
    Weasels are the coolest animals on the planet. Imo..

The pic is a Stoat

TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The pic is a Stoat
    My first guess was a least weasel. OK. Hard to tell the difference without size.

Oh wait a minute... biologist wage a war whether those are separate species.
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by COVID 007 View Post
    My first guess was a least weasel. OK. Hard to tell the difference without size.

Oh wait a minute... biologist wage a war whether those are separate species.
    Doesn't get much cooler than this: https://youtu.be/HNbqvqf3-14

Its like a tiger killing and elephant. the rest of the rabbits are just "Good, fuck that guy! More grass for me!"

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

~30 bil. light years