Thread: IEEs: Do you speak in tangents?

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default IEEs: Do you speak in tangents?

When I first started getting into Myers-Briggs, I originally typed as ENFP, but after a while a lot of people eventually that I couldn't be a Ne-dom because I rarely went off on tangents, wasn't good at improvising and didn't play around with straightforwards questions in some obvious, grandiose way whenever I'd do written or video questionnaires, so it was concluded that I was some sort of SFP. There was also this one section of their questionnaires where you would have to describe a picture that you found off flickr, and people more often than not pointed out how I would focus my attention on describing the content of the picture, as opposed to thinking about the "possibilities" inherent to it, or going on some lengthy off-topic tangent about something that had happened to me in the past, which I found ridiculous. I'd write the lengthiest posts about my thinking process and people time-and-time again would say, no, this isn't Ne, it's too immediate and stuck within context. I could actually see where they were coming from at the time since I didn't relate to how some ENxP's would take every opportunity to say something random or off-topic like this:

"Description of Ne?

Ne. Closely related to Ni. Knights who say Ni desire shrubberies. Shrubberies are trimmed with pruning sheers. Pruning? Prunes. Almonds are in the same genus as prunes. Almonds go on hot fudge sundaes.

Ne is like a hot fudge sundae: sometimes warm, sometimes cold, and always delicious"

Yet ENFp and Ne as described by Socionics make sense on some level. So why this discrepancy? Is it a subtype difference? Or are they just playing it up?
    Last edited by suedehead; 06-08-2014 at 02:12 AM.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Tangent is my middle name.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, and the EDIT button is my slave.

See what I did there? Not the best example, though.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Oh gosh yes. @Eliza Thomason and @Kim and Amadeus
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the number of times smn asked me = "but in brief?" "but we were talking about this and that, what do I need this additional (tangent) info for?"

there are days when I drive myself nuts with this... "oh nuts yeah I love almonds in sugar oh and sugar I promised myself yesterday I would cut down on sugar oh and yesterday yeah I was watching that concert and that lady was wearing ridiculous clothes oh and her dancers reminded me of high school oh and at high school I used to love this and then I remembered..." <- pretty much how my mind works, which I both like and dislike

it sucks especially when I tell myself: "ok, so I am just going to check whether I got this one email..." - and then 2 hrs later I realise that for some reason I have 20 new pages open in my browser and am currently for some reason reading up on dinosaurs and fossils, while I should be preparing a lesson... yeah.

sometimes I catch myself thinking "wow, this is tiring, will it ever stop?" only recently I realised that's what Ne does when I am not grounded enough in my daily schedule and don't keep myself physically busy enough

also, probably at least 80% of my posts are edited (including this one), most before the page starts showing up the time of edition, cause as soon as I post sth I remember sth more that I would also like to say

P.S. I "hate" wikipedia and any hyperlinks in articles...

TIM
    ESFj E6 W9 TRI 420
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aisa View Post
    there are days when I drive myself nuts with this... "oh nuts yeah I love almonds in sugar oh and sugar I promised myself yesterday I would cut down on sugar oh and yesterday yeah I was watching that concert and that lady was wearing ridiculous clothes oh and her dancers reminded me of high school oh and at high school I used to love this and then I remembered..." <- pretty much how my mind works, which I both like and dislike
    i think im in love
    anyways im not IEE but i do do tangents its just they are no were near as interesting as the above
    wtf how is that interesting you ask well no offence i couldnt care less about nuts and sugar ect but the flightiness itself is enough to loll me into a mindless state of aw which i love (fucking spongebob is the best thing ever)

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 5dolladogsoup View Post
    i think im in love
    anyways im not IEE but i do do tangents its just they are no were near as interesting as the above
    wtf how is that interesting you ask well no offence i couldnt care less about nuts and sugar ect but the flightiness itself is enough to loll me into a mindless state of aw which i love (fucking spongebob is the best thing ever)
    haha, well, the underlined were pretty much my thoughts exactly upon reading your post up until that spot
    upon reading the whole thing - thank you, I guess (not sure how I feel about being indirectly compared to spongebob yet )

TIM
    ESFj E6 W9 TRI 420
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(not sure how I feel about being indirectly compared to spongebob yet )
    being mesmerizing is definitely something to feel good about imo anyways

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

the number of times smn asked me = "but in brief?" "but we were talking about this and that, what do I need this additional (tangent) info for?"

it sucks especially when I tell myself: "ok, so I am just going to check whether I got this one email..." - and then 2 hrs later I realise that for some reason I have 20 new pages open in my browser and am currently for some reason reading up on dinosaurs and fossils, while I should be preparing a lesson... yeah.

sometimes I catch myself thinking "wow, this is tiring, will it ever stop?" only recently I realised that's what Ne does when I am not grounded enough in my daily schedule and don't keep myself physically busy enough

also, probably at least 80% of my posts are edited (including this one), most before the page starts showing up the time of edition, cause as soon as I post sth I remember sth more that I would also like to say

P.S. I "hate" wikipedia and any hyperlinks in articles...
    Lol, yeah. This is something that I've seen in some IEE's that I'm not good at. I think I do more of a back-and-forth when I have something to say.

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 5dolladogsoup View Post
    i think im in love
    so it's kind of like smoking pot?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I go on tangents in general conversations but I do not think I go on tangents if I want to say something specific (at least I hope so)
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm afraid to comment here because hugs.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    I'm afraid to comment here because hugs.
    I'm sure there's somewhere in one of those descriptions a line that states: "Park's dual-seeking behaviour is expressing dread and fear of hugs while secretly anticipating them all the more! His duals see right through it."

haha
    there you go:

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel so full of love right now, it's disgusting.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I try to be succinct when I talk verbally. I tend to run out of words very easily, probably because I'm grasping for just the right nuance from a word that's just barely out of reach. So I tend to speak really stop/start unless I'm talking about something I really know a lot about.

In writing I can go on and on though.

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    I feel so full of love right now, it's disgusting.
    haha mission accomplished

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMFG, cuteness overload.

If I wasn't who I am, I might not have minded expressing how that makes me feel.

A Place within a Place in the Universe Where they will never suspect. *Cackles like a witch.*
    TIM
    EII H-Ne
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once I am in my comfort zone speaking, when one thing reminds me of something else, I'll go off on a tangent about the random thing that it reminded me of. There are times I'm not even aware that I'm doing it until after the thought came out of my mouth. Most of the time, I'm conscious about it and try to keep it in my head, and to not derail the conversation. If it's a topic of interest, I can go on and on for a long time. It's not to purposefully derail the conversation, but it's the way that my mind works.

When I'm off alone, just me and my thoughts, my thoughts are very prone to bouncing around and wandering. Usually with me, these tangents are more internalized than externalized, because I'm a generally quiet person. But my speech pattern is pretty incoherent.
    xII se PoLR, 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Phlegmatic-Melancholic |RCoAI| Fascinator| Newtype-secondary| LEFVl|

#JusticeforJeb_, Water Sheep did nothing wrong, High Inquisitor Of Council of Water Sheep and Water Sheep's protector

Make things right? Who are we to decide when things are right and when they need to be fixed?

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To a person not fluent in Ne, it may look like going on tangents. But in reality, IEEs are just presenting their Grand Narratives. To an IEE, everything is happening in the Greater Scheme of things. Unfortunately, most people can't handle Grand Narratives and Greater Schemes (that's a diplomatic way of saying most people are narrow minded).
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Just do the cotan to tan and get some sun cream to block too irradiating thoughts.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

All Eps tend to be somewhat like butterflies flitting from one interest to another, and many change conversations mid-stream as if certain words inspire them to take a more interesting course. I've known some others to get bored mid-sentence and deliberately yawn in another's face. More than a few IEEs don't seem to have particular destinations in mind so frequently lose their trains of thought and because of this, come across as somewhat flaky when they really aren't; for them, it's all about the journey. However, most Eps are guilty of trying to lead people on tangents of various forms.

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    ILE-De
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had entire conversations which are just tangents, and I'm not even IEE.

I'm not hungry mommy bear BrainlessSquid's Avatar
    TIM
    IEE-Fi
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Idk
    Sometimes you don't have motivation because you lack purpose.
    Sometimes you don't have purpose, because you lack self-knowledge
    Sometimes you don't have self-knowledge because you lack love
    Sometimes you don't have love because you lack self-love
    Sometimes you don't have self-love because you lack guess what? Ask Gulenko!!

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEE more often disregard order (irrational), have trouble expressing themselves reasonably (ethical), talk more (extraverted), have creative minds (intuitive)
    They're the ramblers of the socion.