Thread: Howl's Moving Castle

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Howl's Moving Castle

There wasn't an official thread on this movie so I decided to make one.

I watched this movie today and thought it was pretty good.

Character types:

Sophie: I am thinking ESI

Howl: XIE, lean slightly towards EIE because he seems a bit emotional for an LIE

Calcifer: Some sort of Extravert? Maybe irrational? SEE?
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet, another Joe Hisaishi movie!

I was just listening to the Spirited Away soundtrack yesterday.

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like miyazaki's stuff
    The end is nigh

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Howl is the closest fictional approximation of me that I have found to date. EIE ftw. That movie is the balls.

And yeah, ESI sounds good for Sophie; if not, then perhaps LSI.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Miyazaki! I used to idolize Princess Nausicaa when I was younger

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    I loved this movie, but Spirited Away is my all time favorite. Hayao Miyazaki is Ni-INTp, ftw.

Don't really like typing characters though. Have you seen On Your Mark?
    I liked Spirited Away as well, but I can't remember which I liked better since I haven't seen Spirited Away in a while. It doesn't surprise me that the creator of these movies is INTp. I hadn't seen On Your Mark but I looked it up and watched it since you mentioned it. It was interesting but short. What is it you like about it?
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have seen Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, Howl's Moving Castle, and I am halfway through Princess Mononoke. All of them have been good so far. I wouldn't know if you were missing any on your list.

Well explain to me at least a few reasons why you liked On The Mark or why it is significant. I mean I thought the animation was well done but I didn't get much meaning out of it plot wise personally.

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    Nausicaa, Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, The Cat Returns, Porco Rosso, Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service..am I missing any? Haven't seen Grave of the Fireflies, want to see Tales of Earthsea, and that new Ponyo one.
    I'm supposed to be seeing Porco Rosso for the first time with my negligent SiTe friend sometime this millennium >sigh< He said he identified with the main character. There's one weird one I saw that was Studio Ghibli, the one with the weird raccoons... Pom Poko. I think he directed it but didn't animate, I'm not sure. It was probably the only Studio Ghibli movie I didn't like, it was baaad.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grave of the Fireflies is the most depressing movie EVER. That said, I liked Spirited Away better. I watched Howl's and I don't know if I was doing something at the time but I didn't really get into it. Nausicaa was good, Mononoke was good, Castle in the Sky was ok from what I remember. Yeah, that's the extent of my Miyazaki knowledge!

Also, Joe Hisaishi does make some pretty sweet music, like in that Kikujiro movie with the teacher from Battle Royale.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't watch most of the movie, but his music is awesome. I'm trying to play this theme on guitar.
    In no way should one act contrary to the great future you have before you.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Howl>Nausica=Mononoke>Spirited Away, IMO, but those are the only ones I've seen.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok this isn't going to be popular but here is my take on this movie.

Howl is definitely an EIE. I don't think that's hard to tell.

Calcifer; Howl really relies on him. Calcifer warns him often throughout the movie that he will lose himself if he continues to transform and fight as that monster form he has. I am thinking some sort of Si ego, maybe SEI (for reason mentioned later).

Markl is too young and in the movie too little to really tell his type.

I think the Witch of the Waste is SEE. She wants to possess Howls heart, that sounds creative Fi lol. She also cast a spell on Sophie without knowing any way of reversing it. She makes many moves that make it seem as if she doesn't think of the future very much.

Ok, now for Sophie. I don't think she is an ESI. I think she is just a feminine LSI. I don't see her use very much Fi-Se, but I do see Ti-Se. She immediately whips Markl and Calcifer into shape and gets them to help her clean the house. She stands up to the witch of the waste in the beginning. She stands up for Howl against Solomon. XSI makes the most sense, but I don't think she is an Fi type. I think she appears this way because the movie is Fi. I think her supervising the Witch of the Waste and of course Howls Dual, make LSI fit quite nicely.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m pretty sure my cousin showed me this movie one Xmas when we were grieving for someone. Think she could be EIE. She’s been hugely influenced by these movies and makes her own similar music like the ones in the films.