Thread: Syn-flow Contra-flow?

TIM
    6w7 612
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Syn-flow Contra-flow?

When I first read about this idea of syn-flow contra-flow and instinctual stacking, I thought, "very interesting." But now I'm thinking it doesn't have much merit. I think being "syn-flow/contra-flow" doesn't depend on your instinctual stacking, but actually if your social instinct (no matter where it falls in your stacking) is positively or negatively identified. Negatively, and you'll seem contra and positively, you'll seem syn. What do you think?

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

What do you mean when you say the social instinct is positively or negatively identified?

TIM
    6w7 612
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    What do you mean when you say the social instinct is positively or negatively identified?
    It's a theory of Katherine Fauvre ( i don't agree with all of her theories, but this seems pretty legit). Basically based on our past experiences our instincts are impacted negatively or positively. That's why you can have a self Pres that is a hoarder or one that is generous. Or a social that is very PC and friendly or anti social. Here's what she has to say about the social instinct.
    Social
    Wherever they go and wherever they are they seek a place or position that gives them security through status or belonging. Due to positive experiences as a child, the positively identified social instinctual type sees himself or herself as friendly and often wants to find others and/or groups to join to experience a sense of purpose and belonging. This social instinctual type is most inclined to be philanthropic. Due to negative experiences as a child, the negatively identified social instinctual type sees himself or herself as somewhat of a loner and often wants to avoid grouping of any kind because he or she feels that others will exclude him or her or that he or she will be cast out. This negatively identified social instinctual type is more inclined to be misanthropic. He or she may report that he or she hates people, parties or groups. They usually do not realize that they are the social instinctual type because they are unaware that their attention is focused on people and what others are doing rather than their resources or their designated favorite

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I need to think about this. It seems like it is mixing up some of my prejudices.

TIM
    LSI
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been given the idea of 'flows' some thought, and I like your alternative interpretation.

The origin of the 'flows' comes from the old IEDB forum, which Russ Hudson ended up removing in its entirety. So it was born on a forum and kept alive on forums such as this one. It doesn't really have much sway elsewhere so it is very much a fringe theory. Enneasite speaks of them only because its author was a prominent EIDB forum user. So the question then becomes, is there really anything to it?

On surface, the syn- and contra ideas do seem to rest on one's attitude towards society. Even the Social-last Sp/Sx stacking is then referred to as "counterculture" and "acultural, both of which sound very Social oriented... and both Sx/So and So/Sp are being described as "cultural (something)," in light of the flows. This does seem suspect. Again, I like your suggestion that this could stem from one's identification with the Social instinct. It is a much cleaner and simpler explanation.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't ruin my vocabulary. Kontraflow for lyfe.

TIM
    LIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by No name View Post
    It's a theory of Katherine Fauvre ( i don't agree with all of her theories, but this seems pretty legit). Basically based on our past experiences our instincts are impacted negatively or positively. That's why you can have a self Pres that is a hoarder or one that is generous. Or a social that is very PC and friendly or anti social. Here's what she has to say about the social instinct.
    Social
    Wherever they go and wherever they are they seek a place or position that gives them security through status or belonging. Due to positive experiences as a child, the positively identified social instinctual type sees himself or herself as friendly and often wants to find others and/or groups to join to experience a sense of purpose and belonging. This social instinctual type is most inclined to be philanthropic. Due to negative experiences as a child, the negatively identified social instinctual type sees himself or herself as somewhat of a loner and often wants to avoid grouping of any kind because he or she feels that others will exclude him or her or that he or she will be cast out. This negatively identified social instinctual type is more inclined to be misanthropic. He or she may report that he or she hates people, parties or groups. They usually do not realize that they are the social instinctual type because they are unaware that their attention is focused on people and what others are doing rather than their resources or their designated favorite
    Where can descriptions for the other instincts be found?

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@No name Positive social instinct sounds like Stockholm syndrome and the negative one still manages to be worse. Kontraflow is better.

TIM
    6w7 612
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mclane View Post
    Where can descriptions for the other instincts be found?
    Hopefully this link works.
    https://www.personalitycafe.com/enne...-stacking.html

TIM
    6w7 612
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coeruleum View Post
    @No name Positive social instinct sounds like Stockholm syndrome and the negative one still manages to be worse. Kontraflow is better.
    Lol yeah. Probably social firsts and type 9s are the greatest sufferers of Stockholm syndrome.
    Do you think it's "worse" because socials make you shudder, or because you think the description is inaccurate?

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by No name View Post
    Lol yeah. Probably social firsts and type 9s are the greatest sufferers of Stockholm syndrome.
    Do you think it's "worse" because socials make you shudder, or because you think the description is inaccurate?
    I'd have to test that in a controlled experiment. Until then anything I could say is pseudoscientific obscurantism.

TIM
    heartless
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking about this and I think it would make sense to use + and - a bit like the yin and yang, the + actively seek the instinct domain while - let it come to them, invite it. Perhaps that's unnecessary though.
    I think it's also a decent idea to make the possibility of rejecting instincts more present in descriptions as something counter phobic or contra-flow, while syn-flow would be more accepting of it. That would have helped me figure my own instinct earlier at least, haha.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synthflow is my new musical genre. Unfortunately, it self-destructed by being too contraflow and countercultural.

TIM
    LIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This theory has merit; I had noticed that difference in attitude to the instincts as well. It is especially apparent in So types (So first negative types tend to be antisocial, in contrast to So last types who tend to be asocial). It also seems inherent (dependant on your Sociotype and other factors) and not a learned trait. In the case it is an acquired trait, it will be always temporal/situational.

TIM
    6w7 612
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    I need to think about this. It seems like it is mixing up some of my prejudices.
    What prejudices do you have?