Thread: Anyone into synthwave and cassette tapes?

Hybrid View

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Anyone into synthwave and cassette tapes?

Anyone? What are your favorite acts and do you buy their cassettes?
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synthwave yes, but I don't have a favorite act.
    Cassette tape as sound carrier I consider to be a relict from the past. I prefer music without randomly added wow and flutter.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WinnieW View Post
    Synthwave yes, but I don't have a favorite act.
    Cassette tape as sound carrier I consider to be a relict from the past. I prefer music without randomly added wow and flutter.
    Well, I have a number of decks that are, for all intents and purposes, without audible wow and flutter. I prefer music without randomly added jitter ;-)
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, even bad A/D or D/A converters have at least 3 orders of magnitude lower jitter than recording devices with mechanical moving parts.

And you should consider that 99% of newer music recordings are processed with a digital device. You have pieces of music recorded on on spirally coiled magnetic shoelaces, ok, that's fine, but it's almost certain that the recordings past 1980s in your possession are processed in a digital way (in a recording studio).

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WinnieW View Post
    Lol, even bad A/D or D/A converters have at least 3 orders of magnitude lower jitter than recording devices with mechanical moving parts.

And you should consider that 99% of newer music recordings are processed with a digital device. You have pieces of music recorded on on spirally coiled magnetic shoelaces, ok, that's fine, but it's almost certain that the recordings past 1980s in your possession are processed in a digital way (in a recording studio).
    We can save the the discussion about analog vs. digital formats and all the pros involved for another thread. This thread is about synthwave music and the cassette culture that goes with it.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Some of my favorite synth albums:

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favorite acts are Trevor Something and Gunship. Because they step out of the boundaries of 'traditional' synthwave. A lot of popular acts deliver what I think if quite mediocre music, but there are some great exceptions. FM-84, Le Cassette, The Midnight, to name a few. What I do not understand is the popularity of my fellow countryman TimeCop1983, this is plain boring and unimaginative.

I was there in the 80ties, so this is a sentimental trip down memory lane:

This video is brilliant: