Thread: Te suggestive and "being productive."

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Te suggestive and "being productive."

Do any other EIIs (or ESIs lurking) struggle with being productive? I feel like I am very aware of time and how I use it, however, I still don't feel I am working enough, or I feel that the work I am doing is insufficient, or that I am being slow. I've tried to help myself be in check with check lists and to-do lists, but I am faced with the same problem.
    Do any Te egos have tips for how to deal with this?

For context, I am facing exams in school after a very rough period in my country. Professors are just shoving exams on us after a period of nationwide protests, injured people and a lot of police brutality. I have been so stressed that I even vomited (sorry for the TMI.)

I've always admired my Te friends. They are so resourceful. I'm kind of feeling incompetent here.
    sorry for the semi-personal post.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BabelFish View Post
    Do any other EIIs (or ESIs lurking) struggle with being productive? I feel like I am very aware of time and how I use it, however, I still don't feel I am working enough, or I feel that the work I am doing is insufficient, or that I am being slow. I've tried to help myself be in check with check lists and to-do lists, but I am faced with the same problem.
    Do any Te egos have tips for how to deal with this?

For context, I am facing exams in school after a very rough period in my country. Professors are just shoving exams on us after a period of nationwide protests, injured people and a lot of police brutality. I have been so stressed that I even vomited (sorry for the TMI.)

I've always admired my Te friends. They are so resourceful. I'm kind of feeling incompetent here.
    sorry for the semi-personal post.
    @BabelFish, your complaint about not being able to focus on exams because of national protests reminds me of a female SLI-Te that I work with. You both have Te to your advantage, but might be victims of having too much Ne.

National protests have nothing to do to do with your studies. Zero. You should ignore them and stop being distracted from your most important goal. Ne is not your friend here.

For example, the SLI at first couldn’t focus on her very Te work because she was preparing to get married. Then she couldn’t focus on her very Te work because the price of fuel increased in Iran (her native country) and she was worried about her family. Both things are admirable but her work is not getting done and she knows it. I suspect she might switch jobs soon to something less Te and more Si.

But Ne is the real problem. Just take a look at the problems that IEE’s and ILE’s have. Both types can be incredibly intelligent and incredibly inventive, but they struggle to be productive, or to stick with something long enough to finish it and reap the rewards, because there is always another shiny bright pebble on the beach that needs their attention. Some reason to get distracted so they don’t have to actually finish what they started.

ESI’s can be productive if they have immediate tasks in front of them. Their problems stem from low Ni and not being able to do long range planning (so they themselves often don’t plan for retirement) but are fantastic at getting immediate work done.

I work with two EII’s, a male and a female, and they both are slow to get things done, but they do finish their work. I’m guessing that they do this by asking for specific information on what needs to be done and then making (or asking for) a detailed list of steps on how to do the work. And then they set reminders to themselves to get each task done by a certain time.

I’ve noticed that they both strictly limit their distractions. They come in at the same time, they focus on their work, they take coffee breaks but don’t get engaged in long hallway conversations, and they usually leave on time. They are both physically active after work.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you!

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    @BabelFish, your complaint about not being able to focus on exams because of national protests reminds me of a female SLI-Te that I work with. You both have Te to your advantage, but might be victims of having too much Ne.

National protests have nothing to do to do with your studies. Zero. You should ignore them and stop being distracted from your most important goal. Ne is not your friend here.

For example, the SLI at first couldn’t focus on her very Te work because she was preparing to get married. Then she couldn’t focus on her very Te work because the price of fuel increased in Iran (her native country) and she was worried about her family. Both things are admirable but her work is not getting done and she knows it. I suspect she might switch jobs soon to something less Te and more Si.

But Ne is the real problem. Just take a look at the problems that IEE’s and ILE’s have. Both types can be incredibly intelligent and incredibly inventive, but they struggle to be productive, or to stick with something long enough to finish it and reap the rewards, because there is always another shiny bright pebble on the beach that needs their attention. Some reason to get distracted so they don’t have to actually finish what they started.

ESI’s can be productive if they have immediate tasks in front of them. Their problems stem from low Ni and not being able to do long range planning (so they themselves often don’t plan for retirement) but are fantastic at getting immediate work done.

I work with two EII’s, a male and a female, and they both are slow to get things done, but they do finish their work. I’m guessing that they do this by asking for specific information on what needs to be done and then making (or asking for) a detailed list of steps on how to do the work. And then they set reminders to themselves to get each task done by a certain time.

I’ve noticed that they both strictly limit their distractions. They come in at the same time, they focus on their work, they take coffee breaks but don’t get engaged in long hallway conversations, and they usually leave on time. They are both physically active after work.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you!
    Thank you. I relate to how your EII coworkers are. It's just that I feel completely burnout because I've been studying too much.
    I know that they directly don't have anything to do with my studies, but to be honest it's a bit more complicated than that. My school is located in the center of the city where most protests take place. Some professors are taking online exams, but most will be in person. I am worried for my physical health and transportation (since I live +45 min away from campus and don't have a car.) The place unironically looks like a warzone. The authorities have been very dismissive with students when it comes to facilities. It has been too much. I feel overwhelmed both because of how much effort I've been putting into studying and because of the constant violence around me.
    I wish I could relax but I'm finding it hard to do so.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a EII-Fi employee, she´s a really good worker but spends a lot of time dealing with details (even when trying to understand something - she tries to understand it down to the last minutia). This has an effect in her usage of time - she may execute too lately an important task while she´s trying to bring perfection to something which may not be that profitable. I assume this behavior comes from Fi - you don´t want to let other people down so you always try to focus on each task indipendently on the amount of "profit" or general usefulness.

If you struggle with similar problems my natural suggestion would be to prioritize what you´re learning and only focus on the details when the subject is important to your studies / grade. When you start proritizing you will naturally find you don´t have time for something - if you prioritized correctly, those "leftovers" are the least essential tasks.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Adam Strange
    I work with two EII’s, a male and a female, and they both are slow to get things done, but they do finish their work.
    I'm quite similiar, but I'd say that it has more to do with Si as mobilizing function, not being Te suggestive.

I spend a lot of time focusing on inner sensations while doing physical work.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I have a EII-Fi employee, she´s a really good worker but spends a lot of time dealing with details (even when trying to understand something - she tries to understand it down to the last minutia). This has an effect in her usage of time - she may execute too lately an important task while she´s trying to bring perfection to something which may not be that profitable. I assume this behavior comes from Fi - you don´t want to let other people down so you always try to focus on each task indipendently on the amount of "profit" or general usefulness.

If you struggle with similar problems my natural suggestion would be to prioritize what you´re learning and only focus on the details when the subject is important to your studies / grade. When you start proritizing you will naturally find you don´t have time for something - if you prioritized correctly, those "leftovers" are the least essential tasks.
    I think that behavior comes from Ne. Most selective and therefore perfectionist IEs are Ne and Ti, it could be or seem useless at times. In the case of Ne, individual sees what could be the best version of final output, its potential and tries to actualize it. Ne values this actualization more than time spent accomplishing it or its profit. Total perfection takes too much time depending on the complexity and wideness of the scope, Ne-dom is able to detach from the task at hand for the pursuit of novelty, Ne-creative suffers from the ability to focus on it more. ESI and SEE don't demonstrate this kind of behavior, I am sure that it doesn't comes from Fi.

As a non Te valuer, I also see how EIIs use/value Te, they actually try to do what has been asked perfectly. They are just not so sure what is necessarily asked and what is not irrelevant, they can work more sufficiently if supervisor tells them the expected result in detail and steps to do it, they would spend less time on it. On the other hand, LSI doesn't spend extra time to actualize its potential and generally don't spend extra time on a task as much as EII. However, they also execute additional layers that fits the general construction of the output, although they haven't been asked to do it specifically.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by myresearch View Post
    I think that behavior comes from Ne. Most selective and therefore perfectionist IEs are Ne and Ti, it could be or seem useless at times. In the case of Ne, individual sees what could be the best version of final output, its potential and tries to actualize it. Ne values this actualization more than time spent accomplishing it or its profit. Total perfection takes too much time depending on the complexity and wideness of the scope, Ne-dom is able to detach from the task at hand for the pursuit of novelty, Ne-creative suffers from the ability to focus on it more. ESI and SEE don't demonstrate this kind of behavior, I am sure that it doesn't comes from Fi.

As a non Te valuer, I also see how EIIs use/value Te, they actually try to do what has been asked perfectly. They are just not so sure what is necessarily asked and what is not irrelevant, they can work more sufficiently if supervisor tells them the expected result in detail and steps to do it, they would spend less time on it. On the other hand, LSI doesn't spend extra time to actualize its potential and generally don't spend extra time on a task as much as EII. However, they also execute additional layers that fits the general construction of the output, although they haven't been asked to do it specifically.
    ESI Fi can also demonstrate a similar behavior but not as often.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

For the intensely detail oriented work I do, my EII boss's tendency to take time if she has to in order to minutely examine every pebble (and her willingness to use overtime to do so lol) has been a strength, so depending on context, hey hey? I am more this way than I used to be after my brain injury, and who really knows why, but ive chalked it up to cognitive issues affecting my ability to prioritize. I guess what my anecdote is saying is that whether it's that or Ne seems to be case by case.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the socionics-related responses. I initially thought this behavior came from low Te more than anything else, as other have said in this thread, I always want to do what I'm asked perfectly, even if I work slow. I titled this thread Te suggestive because I really admire my Te ego friends (both LIE and LSE) who can execute their work in a very fast and efficient way.
    That being said I agree this also may stem from Ne (yes, distractions are a thing.)
    In the end, doing work in the detailed manner I do is beneficial (I do have really good grades.) but I'm finding it hard not to stress too much over it.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashlesha View Post
    For the intensely detail oriented work I do, my EII boss's tendency to take time if she has to in order to minutely examine every pebble (and her willingness to use overtime to do so lol) has been a strength
    Yeah, the usage of overtime can also be a problem for some bosses (not for me), because those are additional hours that should be paid.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    ESI Fi can also demonstrate a similar behavior but not as often.
    I think the way that they implement things are different. Their different approach makes them kindred instead of identical. From my perspective, EII doesn't spend time focusing on details in their work(I think they focus on details other things than work but that's unrelated to the topic of the thread). The things that you see as details are essential to paint the whole picture or examining data from different points of view or represent the data accurately in my point of view. I heard LIE, EIE and sometimes but not often other Ni/Se valuers making the same comments, so I understand what you are referring to.

However, both ESI and EII has Ti role/Te suggestive, hence of course they have similarities. In my point of view, they are both slow, they either don't know how to work more efficiently or it doesn't register them naturally. Such as looking at data to inspect errors instead of using shortcuts to make an automated search on whole data. They don't comprehend the main structure of the work, so they spend extra time to build a seemingly structure or they can't implement things quickly due to low Ti. They don't recognize the necessary and unnecessary information, they spend extra time to differentiate it or working on unnecessary elements due to low Te.

EIIs can increase their speed if someone instructors them the implementation of work step by step in detail. ESIs can increase their speed if someone tells them the root cause and its general application method by explaining the concept from all sides.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Te is not about being productive. Te is observation of external activities of objects and judgements of their affectiveness and best uses for that object. I Set goals as a strategic type and execute them expeditiously
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beautiful sky View Post
    Te is not about being productive. Te is observation of external activities of objects and judgements of their affectiveness and best uses for that object. I Set goals as a strategic type and execute them expeditiously
    Yes, but it is frequently related, because of what you just pointed out.
    I don't have a difficulty setting goals and executing them, I just have too much work on me so I'm stressed, which is pretty regular for a college student in a demanding degree such as law, and I must remark that I am one of the top students in my class.
    I just feel slow/generally unproductive on my work/studying.
    Last edited by BabelFish; 12-24-2019 at 09:19 PM. Reason: detailing