Thread: on changing types! & many other questions

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default on changing types! & many other questions

Is it possible? If so, much effort would one have to put towards it to consciously achieve such a feat, or would it have to be a natural process? Would the process require some dramatic traumatic event, or a gradual shift in mindset caused by surrounding influences? If type can't change, what about subtypes? Can a person be influenced by their environment to a degree where they completely mask their original personality, Socionics or real world-wise? Would such a person feel constantly unsatisfied like some part of their identity is missing? Or would they become used to the change from their original identity? Even if you think a person couldn't become, say, their conflictor in a million lifetimes, what about becoming something relatively close, like a mirror or quasi-identical? How would this apply to people with naturally chameleon like personalities?

Since Socionics isn't exactly a hard science, I don't really see any right answers to these questions, but it's always been one of the things I constantly wonder about in my free time; along with how much nature vs nurture plays into determining type. What are your opinions?
    p.s.- cute link sprite!!
    Last edited by Tzuyu; 12-12-2019 at 06:11 AM.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Personally, I don’t think a person’s Socionics type changes. It may become clearer as a person ages through their teens and twenties, but I don’t think it changes.

I have seen people in crisis begin to act like their duals, but that happens when your two main functions aren’t working for you in your situation, and you fall back on your two weaker functions. But this only makes you a very incompetent dual, rather than a true dual.

As for Nurture vs. Nature, I think that we are born with certain information processing preferences which determine our sociotype, sort of like we are born with certain finger lengths. Nurture can limit the expression of these traits, but I don’t think they change them. Nurture is sort of like pruning a Maple tree to the shape of a Christmas tree. Just because it has been cut back doesn’t mean that it is a pine tree.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Type refers to how information is acquired and processed. Most are born with all the same processing configurations and filters as are most people born with two arms. Type is like being right handed; people can force themselves to use the left but when no longer concentrating on that particular way of functioning, most (if situations gives them a choice) will revert to the right. And under certain conditions (often sudden and stressful), right-handed people will automatically use the left.......

a.k.a. I/O

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No it doesnt change. But you can find people who have worked in a field not natural to their type and developed too much role function for example.

Even if type could change it would be a very abnormal life and rare. But it is not so interesting unless you are a therapist yourself and have seen very unusual developments in people.

Dcnh subtype can probably change in rare cases.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    338 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Head trauma could do it. Changes of dying by it seems to be far larger...

This person is one walking example of such transformation
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    LIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallmo View Post
    Dcnh subtype can probably change in rare cases.
    It doesn't change either. What happens is that you switch to the mode of operation of one of your other types (people have more than one type), which carries its own DCNH preference.

TIM
    alpha NT
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heretic 007 View Post
    Head trauma could do it. Changes of dying by it seems to be far larger...
    {Engaging ILE-mode}
    Oh. Is that the way Isaac Newton turned into the Genius he was? His head was hit by a big, heavy apple... while lying under a tree.

Maybe someone should try that with Donnie and hit his head hard to free his still trapped stable genius mind.
    It seems there is a reason for the phrase: "He needs to have some sense slapped into him"
    [Disengaging ILE-mode}