Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Money.

Money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money, money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money. Finances, income, social class, earnings, inheritance. Rake in the dough, bring in the bacon. Money makes the world go around. Dirt poor, filthy stinking rich. Material conditions. Bling bling.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

All the talk for sex and violence; and for money, only silence.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Money, get away
    Get a good job with good pay and you're okay
    Money, it's a gas
    Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
    New car, caviar, four star daydream
    Think I'll buy me a football team
    Money, get back
    I'm all right Jack keep your hands off of my stack
    Money, it's a hit
    Don't give me that do goody good bullshit
    I'm in the high-fidelity first class traveling set
    And I think I need a Lear jet
    Money, it's a crime
    Share it fairly but don't take a slice of my pie
    Money, so they say
    Is the root of all evil today
    But if you ask for a raise it's no surprise that they're
    Giving none away, away, away

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

16t exists so people can avoid talking about money.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like needing money or being a pawn to the Money Jungle of the human race. But I do like having money.

previously Megadoodoo

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone got bitcoin???

lololololol

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Physical money is a way of keeping track of the debts you enter into with people whom you don't trust.

It can also be seen as a store of value.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"Mrs. Bold has twelve hundred a year of her own, and I suppose Mr. Harding means to live with her."

"Twelve hundred a year of her own!" said Slope, and very shortly afterwards took his leave...."Twelve hundred a year!" said he to himself as he rode slowly home. If it were the fact that Mrs. Bold had twelve hundred a year of her own, what a fool would he be to oppose her father's return to his old place. The train of Mr. Slope's ideas will probably be plain to all my readers.......twelve hundred a year.......

-Anthony Trollope, Barchester Towers

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"Most things in life - automobiles, mistresses, cancer - are important only to those who have them. Money, in contrast, is equally important to those who have it and those who don't."

-John Kenneth Galbraith, Money

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Adam Strange

speaking of physical money it may be a good idea to buy silver/gold now to protect your dollars - hyperinflation isn't totally unrealistic in the future

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by onfireee View Post
    @Adam Strange

speaking of physical money it may be a good idea to buy silver/gold now to protect your dollars - hyperinflation isn't totally unrealistic in the future
    Thanks, @onfireee, but I just rebalanced on Sunday and I doubled down on growth stocks.

In 2009, I bought a gold American Eagle for $1100 and today it is worth only $1356, which is an abysmal return on my investment. I should have sold it when gold hit $1800/oz, but I kind of like having some real gold around. It's pretty, in a way.

In any case, let me say that I think that there is zero chance of hyperinflation anytime soon. Zero. Unless, of course, the productive capacity of the United States is somehow destroyed, as it was in Zimbabwe or in Weimar Germany, or in any of the formerly Communist countries when the USSR collapsed.

Nope, anyone telling you that hyperinflation is on its way in the US is trying to sell you something. Probably ETF's, is my guess. Not even physical metal.
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 01-14-2020 at 10:16 PM.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Money doesn't mind if we say it's evil, it goes from strength to strength. It's a fiction, an addiction, and a tacit conspiracy.”
    Martin Amis, "Money"

Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Money is a fiction. It's just made up bullshit.

Gold standard is full of shit too.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Money is just a portable exchange mechanism, printed by your society to be used by people of your society. If money is worthless, it's your society that became fucked first.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    In any case, let me say that I think that there is zero chance of hyperinflation anytime soon. Zero. Unless, of course, the productive capacity of the United States is somehow destroyed, as it was in Zimbabwe or in Weimar Germany, or in any of the formerly Communist countries when the USSR collapsed.

Nope, anyone telling you that hyperinflation is on its way in the US is trying to sell you something. Probably ETF's, is my guess. Not even physical metal.
    Hyperinflation doesn't occur when productive capacity is somehow destroyed. Most of Europe was destroyed and there still wasn't hyperinflation. Hyperinflation happens when the political entity that printed that money no longer exists and is no longer able to enforce trade agreements, enforce contracts made under the previous political entity. Creating hyperinflation is largely thru international political power, aka UN Sanctions and the like. A state can be in debt forever to its own people so long as it's able to trade, enforce it's own international agreements, and enforce domestic economic agreements.

Where money is different from physical reality the hoarding of capital and debt, physical reality is always fully paid off, and paying itself off. The information reality of money, debt, currency lies in contacts which allow us to defer undetermined physical products and services into the future. The inheritance of wealth and poverty by rich and poor alike allows this information reality to become every more divergent from physical reality. The existence of corporations and institutions which can hold money and the debt of others create ever larger disparities between economic reality and physical reality and new political structures have little way of trade. Revolution is a bitch, unless it's funded by people trying to exploit you.

In physical reality, the rich are never as rich as they think they are, the poor are never as poor as they think they are. And when enough of the poor realize that all they have to do is slit a few throats and destroy a few institutions to balance out informational reality and physical reality, and when that of all options is the most optimistic option, that's what they do. Destruction is always secondary to the disparities. Without trade your money is essentially worthless.

https://youtu.be/JirvSuZQ-gA?t=225
    TIM
    IEI 9w1
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I was taught from a young age that money makes people assholes- so that's why I became IEI.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Ideally, your attitude towards money should be stress-free and the flow of your money should work like a hydraulic accumulator.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

It's easy enough to talk about money, even though you're not supposed to do so in polite conversation, but it would be unwise to take significant financial advice from internet n00bs you don't know.

TIM
    LIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coeruleum View Post
    Money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money, money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money. Finances, income, social class, earnings, inheritance. Rake in the dough, bring in the bacon. Money makes the world go around. Dirt poor, filthy stinking rich. Material conditions. Bling bling.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

All the talk for sex and violence; and for money, only silence.
    I like your posts. You're a funny one.

They say money is the root of all evil, but I prefer saying that money is power, the power to either do good or bad, depending on where you ranked on the scale.
    According to Maslow's Hierarchy of needs, foods and shelter is being ranked as one of the most basic human needs to survive in this world, and you'll need money for those in order to survive.
    And if you have lots of money, you can even donate those money to help the needy. You can build an animal shelter and help lots of abandoned dogs and cats, or you can even build a homeless shelter and take in those people who are homeless and on the streets. Without money, one can accomplish none of these stuff.