Thread: IQ percentiles

TIM
    ESI-Fi 146w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default IQ percentiles

Is it true that only ~2.2% of the adult population in the U.S.A. can score 130 or higher on WAIS tests? If not, what are the real percentiles?

I'm asking because it seems to me like so many more people than ~2.2% of the U.S.A. adult population scored 130 or higher on a professionally given adult IQ test.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

most IQ tests online are made to give flattering results, so it is easy to score something like 130. On a true test, properly administered, IQ scores are typically lower.

I don't have the numbers at hand, but I believe 2% is about right for an IQ of 130.

Perhaps your perception that more than 2% of people score over 130 on professional WAIS tests is caused by you interacting a lot with high IQ people. I'm a chef working for a temp agency, and I sometimes work at places where I can't believe that there are some many retarded people. There are quite a lot, but normally I don't meet such people a lot.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If we assume that scores follow (or are normed?) to follow normal distribution then yes. It is just statistics and math. However I'm going to act like being a PC ignoramus about global scales (as others do).
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If the actual distribution is skewed massively left, then you will have more people scoring higher, but this will be dampened by the fact that the average (100 iq) will shift right to compensate.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    If the actual distribution is skewed massively left, then you will have more people scoring higher, but this will be dampened by the fact that the average (100 iq) will shift right to compensate.
    It is probably a slip of the tongue on your behalf, but for the sake of clarity: the IQ of 100 is not the average, but the median.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    It is probably a slip of the tongue on your behalf, but for the sake of clarity: the IQ of 100 is not the average, but the median.
    Nope, I thought it was the average. If it's the median then the distribution would have to be skewed right to have a lot of high scoring individuals.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Some of the people who once scored 130 or more on an IQ test may not actually have an IQ of 130 or more. Similarly, some of those who claim to be a Stable Genius may not actually be so.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    Some of the people who once scored 130 or more on an IQ test may not actually have an IQ of 130 or more. Similarly, some of those who claim to be a Stable Genius may not actually be so.
    What? I am a Very Stable Genius. Covfefe.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    I actually took a serious IQ test in sixth grade. Since then, I've noticed that my hairy knuckles are starting to drag on the sidewalk. What's up wit dat?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I noticed when I was in the States was that people were so retarded.

This isn't meant to be an insult even. It just seemed that out of the 200 or so people I had direct moments with, that I was more intelligent than them.

One cashier couldn't even hand count change. I had to coach her before she pulled out her phone calculator.

I have compassion for all of the humans though. We are intelligent monkeys so you can cut people a break. Unless they are trying to fuck you over, consciously or unconciously, or both.
    Last edited by valhalla; 12-06-2019 at 07:17 PM.