Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Things That Actually Are Conspiracies

While I'm not very into conspiracies, actual conspiracies tend to be amusing compared to the kinds of things people think are conspiracies. Current complete list:

Chomskyan linguistics
    Creative writing classes
    LSD
    Punk rock
    Postmodernism

I think the CIA trying to meddle in culture often backfires but it's also so amusingly predictable.
    Last edited by Metamorph; 12-02-2019 at 01:22 AM.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember that time in the past few years when everyone using the internet "found out" simultaneously that all the ancient Greeks were bisexuals?

Well hey, turns out that's a total lie.
    http://local.droit.ulg.ac.be/sa/rida.../macdowell.pdf

Not sure how tangential mythbusting is to conspiracies, but what better place to post it.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    Remember that time in the past few years when everyone using the internet "found out" simultaneously that all the ancient Greeks were bisexuals?

Not sure how tangential mythbusting is to conspiracies, but what better place to post it.
    I still think most people would still consider most ancient Greeks bisexuals even if the law severely penalized male prostitution among Athenian citizens. Pederasty was still a thing. The real problem is more like "sexual orientation" in the popular sense doesn't exist, and all things equal, someone of means willingly becoming a prostitute seems quite sketchy when you put it in concrete terms, and it also makes sense to prosecute the person hiring them for being complicit in thinking that's an acceptable way to find sexual pleasure by that logic.

TIM
    SLE Sx/So
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You realize the Punk Rock link is on a satirical website with no other real sources right?

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kingslayer View Post
    You realize the Punk Rock link is on a satirical website with no other real sources right?
    I was just about to mention this.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just about to mention this.
    The thread topic is about conspiracies. How seriously can anyone take any of this thread?

It also doesn't even say the CIA invented punk in the satire article. Governments using bands for their agendas has been done though.
    Last edited by Metamorph; 12-03-2019 at 07:18 PM.

TIM
    SLE Sx/So
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coeruleum View Post
    The thread topic is about conspiracies. How seriously can anyone take any of this thread?

It also doesn't even say the CIA invented punk in the satire article. Governments using bands for their agendas has been done though.
    "One agent working for the CIA in the late ‘60s invented the entire musical genre to de-legitimize the very concept of protest" - https://thehardtimes.net/blog/we-int...t-look-stupid/

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"One agent working for the CIA in the late ‘60s invented the entire musical genre to de-legitimize the very concept of protest" - https://thehardtimes.net/blog/we-int...t-look-stupid/
    I interpreted it as saying the Sex Pistols and Ramones already existed and the agent made a genre out of them by showing them to each other. Posting a poorly-written satire article to illustrate a real point should probably not be done again even if all the real articles on the topic are 20+ pages.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish more people here would be willing to read real articles. This site is so dead though even though it has a surprisingly large amount of guest readers and psychology test takers.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, classical Greeks being "bisexual" is not a "total lie," and you obviously didn't understand the article which you linked, which is barely relevant to your claim. The term "bisexual" runs the risk of conflating modern identity-based ideas of sexuality with classical practices, but it's not an inaccurate term.
    @coeruleum, I'm not going to waste the energy on your posts when I know it's pointless.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    No, classical Greeks being "bisexual" is not a "total lie," and you obviously didn't understand the article which you linked, which is barely relevant to your claim. The term "bisexual" runs the risk of conflating modern identity-based ideas of sexuality with classical practices, but it's not an inaccurate term.
    @coeruleum, I'm not going to waste the energy on your posts when I know it's pointless.
    I was going to like the first part of this but I can't like a post that says my posts are a waste.

I'm also not sure modern identity-based practices are completely irrelevant even if I don't think they're objectively scientifically true. The ancient Greeks are clearly not permitting all consensual homosexual relationships (in line with modern identity practices) but at the same time other types of homosexual relationships are normative. Do you think all truths are completely relative and the ancient Greeks essentially inhabited a parallel universe? I kind of think you do think that at least unconsciously or you, as a classicist, would be a Nietzsche, a Goethe, a Schiller, or the likes.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Actually are" makes it sound like you're lampshading the fact, as if to say "inb4 it's a conspiracy theory, it actually has a very good reason to be taken seriously this time."

TIM
    SLE Sx/So
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I interpreted it as saying the Sex Pistols and Ramones already existed and the agent made a genre out of them by showing them to each other. Posting a poorly-written satire article to illustrate a real point should probably not be done again even if all the real articles on the topic are 20+ pages.
    Well you see I was confused because you posted the satire article. In fact I couldn't find any real articles on this. Please feel free to share 1 of your many 20+ page articles from legitimate sources so that we can actually have a discussion about this topic.

You cant just assume I know what articles you're talking about by linking a satire website while not even intending it to be used as satire. A bit confusing on your part mate

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well you see I was confused because you posted the satire article. In fact I couldn't find any real articles on this. Please feel free to share 1 of your many 20+ page articles from legitimate sources so that we can actually have a discussion about this topic.

You cant just assume I know what articles you're talking about by linking a satire website while not even intending it to be used as satire. A bit confusing on your part mate
    Did The CIA Propagate Rock 'n' Roll?

This is a very long one. The CIA didn't invent anything though, just help publicize at the same time the FBI tried to censor them. Woohoo CIA, no one will ever get you confused with the FBI again after reading this. (Alan Cross liked the article.)