Thread: Inviting Fe and Fi types

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Default Inviting Fe and Fi types

Do you like to talk about your feelings while you are experiencing them or when they have passed?
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Are you asking whether we like to talk about our feelings at any time, or are you asking us to choose a preference for during or after?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashlesha View Post
    Are you asking whether we like to talk about our feelings at any time, or are you asking us to choose a preference for during or after?
    During or after
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been sitting here thinking about this for a few minutes and my brain hurts. I think I determined that comfort level with said people and context definitely matter. If it's something more serious, probably after, something more light, maybe during. Probably overall, after.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bouncingoffclouds View Post
    I've been sitting here thinking about this for a few minutes and my brain hurts. I think I determined that comfort level with said people and context definitely matter. If it's something more serious, probably after, something more light, maybe during. Probably overall, after.
    What makes you do it after?
    -

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I do it after personally because I want to lock my emotions away until the discomfort because the discomfort alone is too much to bear and I want to check out (not sure if this is part of introversion) until it has passed then I can say with no emotions “I am hurt!”
    -

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

If they're expressed during, it seems like expression, which gets associated with Fe, and if they're expressed after, it seems like emotional reflection, which gets associated with Fi. (I'm saying this from a removed pov and if I'm wrong it's not cuz of conscious personal biases, argumentative folks.)

As for myself, expression and reflection each serve their purposes and (depending on the particular emotion) I couldn't choose a preference for one or another, but when "talking about your feelings" is the stated objective, it seems that postponing the activity will provide a more accurate, fruitful, comprehensive account of things. I think anyone (Fe or Fi) will have a better view of their feelings when they're not being engulfed by them. But maybe going this way with my response is representative of Fi? Dunno.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know, mostly I don't like talking about my feelings at all. I try to show how I feel in other ways, but it's so far-fetched no one can really notice it or figure it out. Eventually my feelings just sort of come out uncontrollably when I can't contain them anymore, backlash is likely

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I was thinking along those lines, it can be too uncomfortable during in the more serious moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Beautiful sky View Post
    I do it after personally because I want to lock my emotions away until the discomfort because the discomfort alone is too much to bear and I want to check out (not sure if this is part of introversion) until it has passed then I can say with no emotions “I am hurt!”

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I only lock down negative emotions if I think their expression is not appropriate to the situation. (And not always then, let's be real!)

They can be some of the most satisfying to talk about in the moment. "Letting off steam."

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bouncingoffclouds View Post
    Yes, I was thinking along those lines, it can be too uncomfortable during in the more serious moments.
    Have I put you down officially? Lol IEE you are
    -

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would also say after, it's just much easier, during I'm too busy feeling the emotions inside to stop and talk about them, I have to feel them through first than I can understand them to talk about them. It's like first I need to chew and swallow my food before I speak, speaking with your mouth full is hard. And with feelings I need to chew them thoroughly. Once digested I fully understand how to articulate my feelings, the weight of feeling my feelings is gone also so I can finally speak clearly on them.

And I agree yes way to uncomfortable talking about them during, and way too intense. Especially when I get angry, if it's a quick anger I need to calm myself down before I deal with the situation.

When I try to talk during, I end up using my hands like "It feels like *hand gesture* you know...."

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

It isn't really a question of what I "like" to do. The primary issue for me is whether or not I'm comfortable to express my feelings in the first place. If I am comfortable, then I want to express them immediately.

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

how does that make you feel

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Number 9 large View Post
    how does that make you feel
    Being comfortable with expressing myself is a pleasant feeling. I don’t need to worry so much about saying the “wrong” thing. But for me, that is comparatively rare, as I am fearful of the unknown damage of particular actions and inactions. Ideally, I would like to be in a symbiotic relationship with others - it is difficult for me to see why anybody would want it any other way. Why would I want to hide myself away or delay communication in a mutually beneficial relationship?

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    Being comfortable with expressing myself is a pleasant feeling. I don’t need to worry so much about saying the “wrong” thing. But for me, that is comparatively rare, as I am fearful of the unknown damage of particular actions and inactions. Ideally, I would like to be in a symbiotic relationship with others - it is difficult for me to see why anybody would want it any other way. Why would I want to hide myself away or delay communication in a mutually beneficial relationship?
    Lol i wasnt asking u i was just trolling but thanks for the elaboration

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Number 9 large View Post
    Lol i wasnt asking u i was just trolling but thanks for the elaboration
    ok bro