Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gulenko's Book

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read the book, I enjoyed it a lot. Unfortunately, he makes things up as he goes along and has contradicted the words in his book in the typing diagnostic he gave me. Unfortunately, it's a cult of personality (no pun intended) and Gulenko Acolytes will hang onto his every word regardless if it's contradictory.
    The Barnum or Forer effect is the tendency for people to judge that general, universally valid statements about personality are actually specific descriptions of their own personalities. A "universally valid" statement is one that is true of everyone—or, more likely, nearly everyone. It is not known why people tend to make such misjudgments, but the effect has been experimentally reproduced.

The psychologist Paul Meehl named this fallacy "the P.T. Barnum effect" because Barnum built his circus and dime museum on the principle of having something for everyone. It is also called "the Forer effect" after its discoverer, the psychologist Bertram R. Forer, who modestly dubbed it "the fallacy of personal validation".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have his book but I can't find the pages where he talks about the romance styles.

Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheLady View Post
    I have his book but I can't find the pages where he talks about the romance styles.
    Pages 375-379

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just bought it on Amazon. Let's see what all the hype is about.

Will we start over, or circle the drain crazymaisy's Avatar
    TIM
    ILI-Ni GAMMA NH-c
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did today too, buy it on Amazon. Extra money from switching phones to different service, I know what to do with it.
    Maisy
    ILI-Ni (INTp)
    I think in pictures, moving pictures...

Recommended Music - ILI-Ni

"And one peculiar point I see,
    As one of the many ones of me.
    As truth is gathered, I rearrange,
    Inside out, outside in, inside out, outside in,
    Perpetual change"

Yes - The Yes Album - from "Perpetual Change" (written by Howe and Squire)

TIM
    ILI-Ni GAMMA NH-c
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My book arrived this afternoon. It immediately open to the ILI detailed description (page 204.) A natural, near middle thing. Or did someone read that and hold it hard before I got it. Hmmm.
    Maisy
    ILI-Ni (INTp)

Perpetual change"

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazymaisy View Post
    My book arrived this afternoon. It immediately open to the ILI detailed description (page 204.) A natural, near middle thing. Or did someone read that and hold it hard before I got it. Hmmm.

TIM
    ILI-Ni GAMMA NH-c
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    Yes, that's it! Thank you! I love that movie and do believe that my book must have been there. (hahaha)
    Maisy
    ILI-Ni (INTp)

Perpetual change"

TIM
    SEIZOR
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love this book and frequently reference it. Some may not like Gulenko, but his book really helped me understand Socionics better. I highly recommend it to anyone beginning to get into socionics.
    Bound upon me, rush upon me, I will overcome you by enduring your onset: whatever strikes against that which is firm and unconquerable merely injures itself by its own violence. Wherefore, seek some soft and yielding object to pierce with your darts.

-Seneca

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toro View Post
    his book really helped me understand Socionics better
    Socionics is theory in borders of Jung and Augustinavichiute ideas. Plus what was proved experimetnally related to Jung types (there was no such theory still). Meanwhile not anything even in mentioned ideas is Socionics as can or is wrong. Not anything there deserves a trust for usage, at least.

Theory of Jung types and its expansion in Socionics, which deserves serious interest, is simple and primitive. There are a lot of texts with it. Just good to choose something popular in style, without baseless non-Socionics additions, and with lesser accent on Reinin traits. The example of not bad are Filatova and Beskova books.

As for Gulenko's texts. Significant part of theory what Gulenko uses is not Socionics (!), but his own baseless fantasies about types. In Socionics part he much uses theory of Reinin traits which are baseless too, and most of which even have doubtful formal link to Socionics. Much of theory in Gulenko's usage can be wrong.
    In his typing practice he does many mistakes, not much lesser than common for known typers - and this accuracy is at best ~50%.

To think that you "really... understand Socionics better" is appropriate only when you'll get a proof of this by noticing positive results in your practice(!). Obligate part of this is when you (purely yourself) identify significant quantity of people near you and then: 1) their behavior fits to types theory good, 2) IR effects of them with you fit to theory good too (what also will prove your correct understanding of own type).

Other are noobish illusions.
    To improve adequate relation to knowledge about types should help experimental prove of it. Until in Socionics stays strong lack of it, there will dominate incompetent idiocy and fanboys illusional mess based on emotions.
    Last edited by Sol; 02-26-2022 at 10:02 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12